THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Need Had Everything to do With This Drilling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Had Everything to do With This Drilling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had to sell my good Sauer 16/16/8X57JRS drilling to buy this, and sometime I'll replace it, but I NEEDED a Kreighoff Trumpf Dural drilling. This is the first I've owned.

It is in 16ga 2 3/4" and 7X65R with a 1.5-6 Zeiss with duplex ret. I'm having to opt for lighter weight guns now, and this dural gun sure makes holding my gun up much easier. It's experienced with hunting dings in the wood, but the metal is 95%.

It fits and swings like a good SXS double, made for me. As soon as the storms stop I'll shoot some groups and clays. I'm optimistic about this gun. Big Grin

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, that drilling is a beauty. Aluminium mechanisms have a somewhat shady reuputation, since some has dissolved after some years of use. Others have been durable. If I were to get a Dural again, it would definately be a Krieghoff! Krieghoff knows how to make them so that they last.
Btw, the scope adds to the weight, and mangles the balance... Have you considered a Aimpoint Micro sight?

Posts: 42 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Nice! I would love one like it in 20-gauge.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I love those Dural frames. Definitely lightens up the load.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skaubjonn:
Congrats, that drilling is a beauty. Aluminium mechanisms have a somewhat shady reuputation, since some has dissolved after some years of use. Others have been durable. If I were to get a Dural again, it would definately be a Krieghoff! Krieghoff knows how to make them so that they last.
Btw, the scope adds to the weight, and mangles the balance... Have you considered a Aimpoint Micro sight?

Thanks! wave

The scope is a much better choice for my hunting and the big open spaces I hunt, where a 300+ yard shot is very common. Granted, it is top heavy, however.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old Meffert drilling with a Dural receiver from 1935 is still holding up just fine. I was a bit concerned when I bought it 20 years ago, being completely ignorant of them, but have had nothing but satisfaction. They are a lot more lively than my steel framed drillings.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@sharps 4590: Good to hear that your Dural drilling is holding up well. Most do, I guess. I know a guy who owned a Krieghoff Neptun dural (expensice....), and who experienced that the aluminium kind of dissolved :-(. the problem with the dural drillings is that if something happens, they cannot be fixed, as far as I know.

@luv2safari: Drilling for shooting at 300 yards? Wow!

Posts: 42 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skaub...

300 yards is a common shot for us. I took a mule deer buck a couple of years ago at 280 yards with my old Triebel Augsburg 8X57JR drilling with an ancient 4X Zeiss Zeilvier in claw mounts. It also is a Dural gun.

The shot involved far more luck than skill. Big Grin

This drilling...

one of us
posted Hide Post
L2S - tell me about that aperture sight on the wrist of the Triebel. Looks kind of fancy,but a little fragile?

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian...

It folds down into the tang flush. It is dead nuts on at 160 yards with the S&B factory ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sauer 3000 with dural frame in 16/ 7X57. It weighs 6 lb without the scope. It's a favorite when I have to carry a lot.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote