Find
Notify
Tools

Always Wanted One
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
...and I just got one. dancing

I recently took delivery of my new Simson 95 drilling in 16ga and 7X65R with a 6X Zeiss in swing mounts.

My arthritic thumb now has the luxury of pushing a top tang safety, and the rifle selector is right in front of the safety. It is not a cocker and is easy for me to activate.

Thanks Dale!! Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
That would go great with my Simson 95 20-gauge/5.6x50R!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send me a check, Dave. I'll PM you my cost. Big Grin

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice drilling! Great wood and deep engraving. The rifle selector just next to the safety makes it easy to get used to I guess, contrary to the common Greener safety on many drillings.

For you guys hunting in the US, can you typically do a "combination hunt" like the drillings are meant to be used for? Say, can you shoot birds or other small game while actually being on a whitetail deer hunt? I guess if you hunt on your own land you can do what you want, but what about hunting public/state land?

Posts: 43 | Location: Norway | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brown, it will depend on the state where a person lives. Also, in some states, whether or not you are hunting on your own land as you mentioned. Missouri is fairly generous to landowners so yes, on my land I could hunt whitetail, birds, bunnies, squirrels and varmints at the same time as long as I didn't exceed a certain shot size in the shotgun loads. I believe that is American size #6 shot. On public land in Missouri I don't know if that's possible. The only 2 regulations I can recall is I don't believe one can use a 22RF on public land during deer season and the previously mentioned shot size restriction. I do not remember ever reading anything regarding the use or restriction of combination guns or drillings on public land during deer season so assume it legal.

For general woods walking, something I do a lot of on my property, I can and do carry pretty much what I want when deer season isn't open. My favorite is a Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling in 16 X 16 over 9.3 X 75R Nimrod in which I have installed a Krieghoff 22 LR einstecklauf in the right barrel.

I can't speak to other states except that I know some are quite restrictive as to caliber and cartridges allowed. Interesting question.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While bird hunting in ND, a "horse" of a whitetail got up in front of me, ran to 80 yds and turned and looked at me....at least 10 points and one drop tine...irregular. I had the 16/70-16/70 - 7x65R in my hands and could have dropped him right there over open sights...but didn't draw an antler permit in ND (impossible as a non-resident).

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brown,

I took a nice small "ice box" doe while hunting quail in Oklahoma in December and knocked down a big pheasant rooster, all with an early Sauer 3000 in 16 and 8X57JRS.

I hunt our vast NV public lands with a drilling when I draw a resident deer tag. I'm about as happy to come down off the mountains with a bag full of blue grouse and/or chucker as I would be dragging a deer. Often I bring both down the hill.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Dog gone that thing's nice!! Congratulations and have a blast hunting with your drilling.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!
That is one lovely, handy gun. It is hard to think of a better combination. You did well.
After all those Greener safeties, I'm curious how many times you'll carry it sideways and try to push off the Greener that's not there.
Congratulations
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
Wow!
That is one lovely, handy gun. It is hard to think of a better combination. You did well.
After all those Greener safeties, I'm curious how many times you'll carry it sideways and try to push off the Greener that's not there.
Congratulations
Bfly

LMAO!! Big Grin

I did that very thing a few weeks ago on the last day of quail season, hunting with my Simson SXS 16ga.

More quail for seed this spring isn't all that bad, however. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats really nice.

How do you like the swing mount compared to the more traditional claw mount. Does it hold zero and what does it look like with the scope off. Certainly it looks as if the scope is much lower than with a claw mount.

Is the rechnagel swing mount the one that can fit in in place of a claw mount?

Many thanks

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to dig out my Simson Mdl 90 12/12/7X65R with the Recknagel G9 mount and take photos for you.

Here is the Mdl 95 mount for comparison.

The pin at the front of the rear mount in the second photo is spring-loaded to allow the vertical camming lever to swing up to lock. It keeps the lever from being pushed back to release position (horizontal) unless pushed inward.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It went to a good home my friend!! enjoy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
L2S - what a beautiful bit of kit - well done!

quote:

Is the rechnagel swing mount the one that can fit in in place of a claw mount?

Many thanks

EAW now produce a swing off conversion for any rifle originally equipped with an SEM.

Low profile (rear mount adds 4mm to rib height) and with the real benefit of being able to change optics quickly and cheaply. Red dot can be mounted on the rear mount if you fancy something quick that is easy on older eyes....

I will be going that way on my Sauer in the near future!

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian Wink

Great to hear from you, my friend.

How was the deer hunting last fall?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bud,

Doing good over here - had plenty of friends over and found some great deer. Made a bunch of new friends out of Clients - life could be worse!

So, water sorted? Is this the year you get over?

Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to, but it looks like if I do go anywhere it will be to Namibia with a good friend. It'll be my last big trip. I fell from a roof a while back and am pretty busted up now. Long trips are torture.

I've even turned down some free lodging and hunting in New Zealand.

These aren't exactly the "golden years" I had planned. hilbily