Find
Notify
Tools

Scope on a Drilling
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
I can't afford to do this any time soon but I'd like to know the answer anyway.

I have a drilling that does not have scope bases installed. I would very much like to have a scope put on it at some point in the future. I happen to have a very nice Schmidt & Bender scope with Suhl style claws attached and would like bases to match.

Will any of you give me a recommendation on a good gunsmith that can do this job and do it right?

Thanks.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
New England Custom Gun Service
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

I had some claw bases made for a drilling by a guy in Colorado. Huge problems, sent back several times, never right. This was years ago when I thought you could actually save money on these things. Really stupid concept. Paying the right person a little bit more once is a much better option, it costs a lot less.

There are other options besides NECG but they're a good one.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll 2nd al on NECG. I had about 4 inches of a barrel pop loose at the muzzle on a 1905 Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling and their repair was both perfect and reasonable. When I got it back it still shot to the same POA....and they had no ammo to test it with. Good outfit.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee LeBas does them right. He's done a half dozen for me in the past and just got done switching out a scope for me on my Simson 90 12/12/7X65R drilling.

http://learmsllc.com/john-rigby-&-co/

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
JJ Perodeau at Champlin did a great job on my Krieghoff Drilling and my Sodia combo gun. NECGW does great work but they have a long turn around time.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ Perodeau installed claw mounts on my Sauer 3000, and on my 450/400 3 1/4" double rifle.

Both scopes were mounted low over the bore and go back to zero 100%.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote