New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel twist rates on German drillings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was there a standard twist rate for 7x57r and 7x65r used by sauer and other gunsmiths on bbf’s and drilling’s?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost all the makers got their barrels from Sauer or Merkel and probably made to CIP standard. I would look to the Merkel site for their twist rates but the standard rate I have seen for both the 7x57R and the 7x65R is 220mm or 8.66. I ordered a LW 7mm barrel and they quoted 8.7 inches. You may want to actually measure with older guns.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a ton of barrels from Schilling Forge as well. I don't know their twist rates, however.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
The German loading manual "Wiederladen" shows 220 mm (Basically 8.7 inches) for both of these rounds, as well as for their rimless counterparts. That said, if you are looking at a rifle to purchase the only way to be certain is to measure it. This is particularly true for older rifles.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help