Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf Drilling that "doubles"
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Wolf Drilling that "doubles", i.e. pulling the front trigger fires both the right shot barrel and the rifle barrel. Unfortunately, the company just warns me not to use it but does not answer my emails asking how to fix it. A list of possible causes would certainly be helpful.

Posts: 3 | Location: San Antonio, Teexas | Registered: 09 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with the "wolf" brand. It appears you have two triggers correct ? The front trigger also fires the rifle barrel when set to correct ?

Try (in a safe place) with the safety off, loading all three barrels and set it to fire the rifle barrel. Pull the front trigger. Only the rifle should discharge. Now pull the back one, only the left shotgun barrel should discharge. Now set the selector back to the right shotgun barrel. Be careful it may go bang ! if not pull it and the right barrel should discharge.

If all that works right, you probably have a worn trigger or sear on the left barrel that allows recoil from the right barrel firing to dislodge the sear for the left.

It may just be gunk and crap in the action holding something where it should not be. Could also be weak sear/trigger spring.

If it were mine, as I have owned several, I'd pull the stock and barrels/foreend.

The action would get a several day soak in a non acidic parts cleaner, followed by a wash out, air blasting and a light lube with a high grade synthetic gun oil.

Then try again. If it still does it, you need to find a gunsmith that understands these complex guns.

Heck your's only has 3 barrels, you ought to see a "funfling" 16x16x8-57R by 22 Hornet (in the middle) and a 22 rimfire (under the rib). More levers and buttons than the space shuttle !

Keep us posted.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Is this a warranty issue?

Contact them with a phone call or certified letters with a law firm letterhead. Emails are too easy to just delete.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't really appear to "current production"

http://www.doublegunshop.com/f...aa855229b3f069eaf438

posted Hide Post
Right now I can't try any of the things that pigmaster suggests because my gunsmith has taken my Driling apart, and I'm going on a trip. Thanks for your responses. I'll be back in touch later.

Posts: 3 | Location: San Antonio, Teexas | Registered: 09 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first got my Sauer Drilling, if you pulled the rear trigger both shotgun barrels would fire.

I took it to JJ Perodeau, at Champlin's and he fixed it, perfect.

I also had him put claw mounts on it as well...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My local gunsmith who is not familiar with Drillings was unable to fix its "doubling", so I sent it to
Larry B. Schuknecht. He did a great job and kept me informed about the things he was fixing. I recommend him highly. Here's his contact info:

Larry B. Schuknecht[shoptalk@dutchmanwoodworks.com]
Dutchman Woodworks
7750 Salt Rd.
Clarence Center, NY 14032
(716) 741-3739
Fax : 716-741-2335

Here is his report:
Hello Pete;
Your drilling arrived this morning and I got right on it. No major problems but some details that did need attention. First I addressed the rifle hammer and sear engagement. Both had become rounded and barely caught and recoil would surely make it jump out of engagement. I stoned both the sear and the hammer to get back the proper engagement. Second while test firing I found that the rifle selector would jump out of position and move towards the rifle sear engagement position. I cleaned up and deepened the pin slot so the selector pin was firmly seated. Also the selector spring screw threads in the top tank were not engaging the short screw so I fitted a new screw which increased the pressure of the spring on the selector. Third the rear tang screw was not tight and when tightened properly it extended above the tang about half of one thread. I faced that down flush with the tang and engraved the end. Fourth the trigger guard screw did not fit properly, so I fitted it flush with the trigger guard tang and engraved and blued that.
I test fired the gun using a primed empty case in the rifle and fired 5 rounds through the shotgun barrel with no doubling.