Find
Notify
Tools

Bernardelli ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just aquired a combo 2000 by V bernardelli
12/5.6X50Rmag. I know the Bernardelli background, gun no longer made,etc.
I am in the process of getting dies and brass from Huntingtons.
Does anyone have this model and offer any experience? Any one know where to get a scope mount? How about any favorite load data?
Any comments or advice will be appreciated.

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

We would love to see it. Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Wally,

I'm w/Luv-2: send us a coupla Happy Snaps.

5.6x50R, Cool!

Don't know what easier for you to obtain powder wise. The 5.6x50R insert barrel for my Drilling didn't prefer any of the countless bullets I tried until I stumbled across either the Sierra 55 gr. HPBT's or SPBT's - then groups shrank dramatically. Just goes to show ya every barrel is different. Since your's is a fixed tube perhaps it won't depict such a sensivitiy - Dunno.

I'm using VVN-140, I tried all the standard .222 & .223 Remington powder fares, IMR & H4198, H322, VVN-130, but clearly this case with it's increased volume can make a move into the Medium Burners which is what I'd suggest trying. IMR-4320, H4895, H-380, etc; .223 Remington Magnum loads + some.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response.
I e'd pics to L-T-S for posting
With the powder shortage here and reviwing my existing supplies I believe I will try to get a reasonable load with 53 barnes and BLC(2). I am
only a hunter who reloads for economy to save enough to practice a little. So if I can get a 2" groups it will be fine for my use. Most of my v-calling results in a 75 yd or less shot, mostly less. I have put a 1X4 Leupy shotgun scope on it. The 1-2X should be great for heavy cover.Waiting for brass and dies, did find one box of loads which are on the way, can't wait to get dialed in.

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Cool Cool Cool

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Wally,

Thx L-2-S for posting the photos!

Appears to be a well-cared for rifle you snagged - good deal!

For Close-In called Coyotes - well, it just doen't get any better, IMO.

Good scope and simple, sturdy mounts, too.

I bet you'll get alot better than 2" outa that 5.6x50R, too and coupled with a load of #4's for spitting distance should make it a great combo.

Waidmannsheil with your new Boomer - make sure you sent us a coupla success story photos, too.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerry!!
followed your suggestions and
got it dialed in with 4320-just a smidge over
222 Rem mag max With the barnes 53 gr copper. Had few problems along the way
--broke rifle firing pin-had to make new one with drill,Dremel, and jewelers files--11 dimensions on the thing! My own ignorance broke the FP (now have homemade snap caps.
--Had accuracy problems and determined crown was terrible-remedied with brass round head and
valve compound-- helped a bunch.
--Found CZ 11mm rings on webb-sure beat my alum rimfire.
--Determined that in 100 deg you have to let it cool a while to keep a group otherwise it climbs straight up the target.
--Also determined that carrying the gun in my
truck on the floor where the AC was blowing on the case cooled it off and resulted in the first shot about 2 " low!!!!Had to let it set in the ambient temp for about 15 mins to stabilize!
--Took it out to the dove fields last wkend
and put a couple of boxes of Shot shells thru to really shake it down--went to the range tues to see what might have moved and groups had moved about an inch to the left.I am a firm believer in clean cold barrel performance.
--The SG barrel will pattern slug about 2 1/2" @ 50yd
altho about 6 left and 3 high so that is very usable with # 4 buck.
--Have the set trigger at 2# now.
Along the way I sure wondered if I had made a bad deal--I now really like the way it carries
and handles-a little cooling in between shots &
it is good for a little more than MOA.
--Looking forward to using it on dogs and cats (coyotes & bobcats)should make a terrfic night calling gun which is what I bought it for.
Too bad V Bernardelli is out of business-I would love have it in 12/30-06.
Again-thanks Gerry, I was not haveing much luck
without your suggestion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wally,

quote:
got it dialed in with 4320

Excellent! I tried this trick in the good Ole days when almost every .224" caliber bullet was a Varmint bullet. Used the 74 gr. RWS Kone Points made for the 5.6x57 in my .223 Remington with a stiff load of IMR 4320. Oustanding accuracy and killed Roe Deer real well without splitting them in two pieces.

quote:
Had accuracy problems and determined crown was terrible-remedied with brass round head and valve compound -- helped a bunch.

I had to use this trick on my first Combo Rifle, too; a 12ga./7x57R. Worked then as well, same proceedure as you performed.

quote:
now have homemade snap caps

Prudent to use snap caps on these rifles, me too!

quote:
Determined that in 100 deg you have to let it cool a while to keep a group otherwise it climbs straight up the target.

Same-O; at the range a coupla weeks ago with a Buddies 6.5x57R Drilling; got it so hot it shot 12" high after a few strings. Takes a good while for things to cool down again after that heat makes it's way into the barrel solder, too.

Post a coupla "load of #4's" Coyote victim photos! Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most all solid rib multiple barrel guns have shifting imapact points as the barrels heat up.

I take special care to be sure my zero is with a barrel that is at ambient temp.

With these guns it is the first shot that is the most important.

I also test and see how many shots I can fire before the grloups start to wander, and how much they wander.

I had a TIKKA 12ga/222, the bottom rifle barrel was not solidly joined to the shotgun barrel. It floated in the muzzle break at the muzzle. That rifle would shoot 5 shot groups the size of my thumb nail.

Also ALL the Blaser Combo guns I have shot have been very accurate,and do not have a wandering zero as the barrels heat up durring firing.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote