New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swing mount issue? Merkel 96k
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up my second hand Merkel 96k in 20/76 and 7x57R today. I am very, very happy! It is my first drilling, and I have been wanting one for twenty years. I've had a combo for a while in the same calibers, but a drilling is something special.

The gun has a Swaro. Z6i mounted in swing mounts, a system with which I have zero experience. I am wondering if he following is normal and as it should be: After entering the front mount and swinging it back, there is a small gap between the gun base and the scope mount of 2-3mm. I have to apply quite a bit of force to allow the rear tap to lock into place.Is there a danger that this applied force creates damaging tension to the scope, or does it just help ensure repeatability in the mounting?

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, but properly mounted, the rear scope mount should be on plane with the rear mount once the scope is swung into position. You shouldn't have to put that much pressure on the scope to get it into position. I have one which I have to lift slightly but it is a very easy adjustment. Doesn't sound right to me...but I will bow to the greater experience of our Euro-members.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That doesn't sound right. Usually with swing mounts you have to lift ever so slightly as the rear swings into position in my experience with four over the years.

How does it shoot? Is it sighted in?

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not sighted in, and I have not had the opportunity to do proper accuracy testing yet.

I see now that there are two screws on the front mount that regulate the angle of the scope. Should be an easy fix, therefore.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have had this on one of mine that I installed myself.
It is an easy fix as you have noticed the rings are completly adjustable. you can loosen the rings on the front mount untill the rear fits properly with it's base then re tighten the front. Like luv2Safari says it should need a little upward pressure to lift it onto the base instead of the oppesite like it is now.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
You can also adjust the rear ring to drop down to fit the base. Just keep the tube of the scope parallel with the barrel.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muntjac,

Congratulations on your new Drilling.

An advantage of a Pivot (Swing) Mount over Claw Mounts is that if assembled correctly with a Pivot Mount the scope is under no tension at all; it simply lays in it's fixture.

The only "tension" is the rear mount base lever against the foot of the rear mount.

The gap in the front mount is adjustable. Do not play with this unless absolutely required; as you have to loosen an opposite tension screw to afford adjustments to this screw. This adjustment is normally made prior to the front base being firmly attached to the rifle, rail or rib as you can adjust it so tightly that the holes for the mount will no longer align. A small dab of grease should be applied (a Q-Tip) in the front foot cavity. After inserting the foot of the objective front ring into the forward swing mount base it should seat by itself requiring a firm 90° swing to pivot the scope's rear mount foot into the rear mount base. Ensure the scope is level during this movement; If not, uneccessary wear will occur. If you've ever mounted a Leupold, Redfield, Burris or other US front pivoting mount this or just a tad less pivot pressure for the scope is the usual amount of pivot tension required. Basically they're the same front foot with a different rear system.

If all the Bits & Pieces are in harmony the scope's rear mount foot should swing directly into the rear base mount; "clicking" into place allowing the knob/lever to fall @ 75-80% to lock the rear foot into the rear mount base. There should no play or pressure applied either upwards or downwards. Thereafter, minor but nevetheless firm finger pressure should be applied to lock the rear knob/lever all the way into place ..... Voilá.

quote:
..... there is a small gap between the gun base and the scope mount of 2-3mm. I have to apply quite a bit of force to allow the rear tap to lock into place.

This is not correct.
quote:
I see now that there are two screws on the front mount that regulate the angle of the scope. Should be an easy fix, therefore.

You are correct concerning the function of these two hex screws. Place the scope in the mount. Slightly and evenly loosen the two hex screws on each side until the upwards/downwards pressure releases itself. Then slowly & evenly re-tighten them; the scope should now be perfectly aligned horizontally.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry, thank you very much for your help and tips. I am wondering whether to do this myself, or go to a gunsmith for assistance. I will probably do the latter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Muntjac,

You're welcome.

If you don't trust yourself and don't have proper set of gunsmithing screwdrivers I'd leave it to a professional.

Either way, after it's been adjusted you'll have to sight it in again.

Years ago ..... EAW actually provided a cheat sheet with each set that very clearly explained step-by-step how to correctly mount and adjust their Pivot Mounts. The recent sets I've received do not have this information.

In my references somewhere I've still got it.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you again. Dropped by a friendly gunsmith today who had it fixed in seconds, as expected.

Now... I cannot wait to shoot it! Perhaps I'll take it out after beavers after sighting in, or just break some clays and punch paper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Muntjac - a Drilling is something special and adds magic to any game you are lucky enough to take with it! Smiler

Rgds

Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, IanF. I actually shoot it so well on the skeet range, that I am considering taking it to the UK for my syndicate day there (Devon) in December. Stalking on the friday, and driven birds on saturday with the same gun :-) Would be quite something!

one of us
posted Hide Post
International travel & mixed bag shooting?

You know it makes sense! Smiler

December will not be long in coming!

Rgds

Ian Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IanF - What sort of reception do you get when you turn up with a Drilling to a more formal British shoot. I've had eyebrows raised with just an over and under.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
IanF - What sort of reception do you get when you turn up with a Drilling to a more formal British shoot. I've had eyebrows raised with just an over and under.

I guess i'm a redneck, because i wouldn't care one bit what "they" think!!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

Mostly curiosity and envy! Though I shoot a couple syndicates for Woodcock etc that lease FC ground.

In both cases, it has been suggested that taking a 'rifle' onto the ground would breach lease conditions and could cause problems for the shoot.

Ian