THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Turning a combination into a double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turning a combination into a double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I am happy, I started this project in 2009 when I acquired by J Hambruch built 16 over 7x65R combination with a 6x42 in claw mounts.

I have used it well and have shot several Roe deer and foxes and couple of red deer, plus a few phaesants, pigeons but I dont think any duck.

Last year I was invited out to Germany to shoot boar. Loaded up bottom barrel with a 173gn ID classic bullet and just in case a 16 bore Brenneke slug. The one and only boar I saw came running out of a rape field as it was being cut and took it with a single shot at 60 yards, V happy. I tried the slugs on paper - not good - a foot away from point of aim. And being in the UK, getting slugs on a licence is difficult and on a 16 bore impossible, and indeed getting hold of slugs is impossible in anything other than 12.

So after a long winded and circular coversation with Firearms Licencing I got authority to get a 2nd barrel for the combination gun. Placed an order with Zimmerman and a few weeks later a 7x65R Einstecklauf turned up. Now to have it fitted. Our first gunsmith sucked his teeth and tut tutted (he is very good at barrels on rifles but). So turned to the other one we know. She was up for the challenge. Three weeks later it was fitted. It only took half a dozen shots to regulate with the bottom barrel. And it shoots well - 1" at 100 yards if I do my bit.

And it seems to remain zeroed even when I remove and replace it. Slightly irritating though is when fitted, both barrels shoot three inches to the right.

Meanwhile for the scope. I bought last year a 1.25-4x20 Schmidt & Bender. Had it mounted on a bolt action rifle for a while and it works well. So to fitting it.

Friendly gun dealer got in some Recknagel blank rings. Now there is one gunsmith in the UK that can fit claws. He charges the equivalent to a good rifle to do so. Now I am quite happy doing some fine work, but over the last year or so have found that my arms and legs are not long enough to really see things.

I had the rings sitting there - but I could n't see to fit them. Eventually was dragged to the opticians for longer arms - with these in place can now see what I am doing.

A couple of wet weekends the claws were fitted - they are tight,perhaps I gave a bit too much a final polish, but they are tight when fitted.

Last week shot two groups - one from each barrel - and they both overlap.

So I have a good set up for driven pigs - 173gn H-Mantle bullets driven at 2650 fps times 2.

I have also installed a taller red dot front sight for when it gets really close.

And I easily knock out the second barrel and go back to a combination gun for when it suits.

And off to Germany for a weeks pig hunting in early december - both driven and under the moon.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see how a person could ask for any more!!! Sounds like a great trip coming up soon, good luck and Waidmannsheil!!!

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the ticket for a driven pig hunt!

Have fun with your DR drilling. Zimmerman inserts are excellent.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sounds like nice work, but the part about not being able to buy slugs without approval is not a good thing.

Posts: 17091 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thing about slugs is that under our Deer Act you have to use a rifle with min muzzle energy and velocities - 2450 fps. You can use a shotgun if you the farmer and you are protecting crops in which case you can use a 12 bore with slugs or buckshot. But both the latter are a Section 1 item so classed like rifle ammunition so have to get authority to buy and possess, in just the same way as you have to have authority to buy and possess in my case 243, 22lr, 7x57 or 7x65R ammo (I can not go and buy a box of 308 ammo as its not on my ticket). The Firearms Licensing's view is one of if you have a deer problem we will licence a rifle to you, or you should get somebody who has a rifle and is appropriately experienced. They don't like issuing slugs for use in a shotgun - bear in mind most shotguns over here are doubles so not the accuracy of US slug gun.

So trying to get authority to possess slugs for a 16 bore - not deer legal etc was just too much effort and pain. Besides, actually finding 16 bore slugs in the UK is like looking for rocking horse poo.

And a 173 gn H-Mantle at 2650 fps is probably far more effective!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.thestalkingdirecto...ng-scope-rings/page2

And the above link shows some pictures[/QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed your posts on this project. Thanks for taking us along. Looks like you've got a terrific all around gun. I've always liked the 7x65. I wish my little Lux was 7x65 instead of 7x57r. Congratulations on a,nice one.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
I've enjoyed your posts on this project. Thanks for taking us along. Looks like you've got a terrific all around gun. I've always liked the 7x65. I wish my little Lux was 7x65 instead of 7x57r. Congratulations on a,nice one.
Bfly

Thanks. I have enjoyed it to - save for the conversation with police enquiry officer who was convinced that a double rifle should be classed as a semi automatic as the second shot was there without reloading. Take a deep breath and showed him the home office guidance notes - still took some convincing. In the real world doubt any deer or pig would notice difference between 7x57r and 7x65r.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Krieghoff Ulm Primus sidelock combination gun 12/7X75R SE vom Hofe was turned into what the Germans call a Bergstützen or double rifle with two different rifle calibers by the addition of an insert barrel in 6X52R Brettschneider, which is the 5.6X52R cartridge necked up to 6mm or the 6.5X52R necked down, whichever you prefer. The barrels shoot to the same point of aim at 100 yards and I have an instant choice of caliber and ammunition to use for long range or short range shots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Germany for a week shooting boar with friends. On the range - was working really well on the running by target - all in the kill zone. Last night slept out in a high seat. At about 3 am a big dark keiler was in Amsterdam nest the maize. Cross hair in centre of kill - loud squeal at the shot and in charged forward into the wood. Moon had gone in - heavy cloud so Lay down and slept, woke up before dawn and watched things moving about. At about 9am went to havea look for him. 30 yards in and he was dead - heart and lungs had no chance against a 173 h- mantle.

Driven hunt tomorrow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go!

I've never spent the, whole night in a high seat, but I doubt that it was the best rest you ever had.

Do you use anything more than a good scope and moonlight?

I'm hoping to do a Florida pig hunt later this winter. I'll have to see if I can pair up it with a full moon. Sounds like an interesting experience!
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So turned to the other one we know. She was up for the challenge. Three weeks later it was fitted. It only took half a dozen shots to regulate with the bottom barrel. And it shoots well - 1" at 100 yards if I do my bit.

So if you care what type of system was used to mount it in the barrel and used to regulate it.

I sure would like to see pictures of the system.

Posts: 19350 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t seem to be able to post pictures on here but I put some pictures over on the stalking directory. https://www.thestalkingdirecto...ghlight=Einstecklauf

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heym - well done on getting the result you were chasing.

Very satisfying when you get a combination gun sorted as you envisage.

I'm guessing she is a 'keeper'?

ATB

Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice boar and sounds like a super drilling.
Let me ask this; why not just machine a bullet mold for 16 ga slugs and cast your own slugs?

Posts: 17091 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Very nice boar and sounds like a super drilling.
Let me ask this; why not just machine a bullet mold for 16 ga slugs and cast your own slugs?

2 reasons,

1) over in Germany I have tried slugs and whilst they shot reaonably well, they are not close enough to the rifle barrel to be usable. I am sure changing brands etc would show up something usable. Indeed in Germany now hunters much prefer to use rifles for boar, rather than slugs - indeed most older drillings are becoming obsolete as the younger generation all use straight pull Blaser type rifles for driven, whereas their fathers and grandfathers would use a drilling loaded with slugs for the close range action and rifle for longer shots.

2) UK Firearms Licencing - I asked the question re getting slugs on my licence - technically you can use 12 bore slugs on deer, but not 16 bore so no they won't licence me to possess and use 16 bore slugs as there is no legal use for them.

That was the reasoning behind getting another 7x65R barrel.

I have now added a 1-4x20 Docter Confort Scope with just an illuminated Red Dot. Works well.

I haven't yet used the top barrel in anger - I had a driven boar trip planned, but it was cancelled due to lack of piggies after the very hot and dry summer. I shot a doe with it set up as a double last weekend - 60 yards offhand shot and went straight down. With the extra rifle barrel it is much steadier to shoot as a rifle.

It definitely is a keeper. I am using the 173gn H-Mantle bullet in a homeload for the double. And just got 180 RWS factory loads with the solid copper HIT bullet - for not a lot. Will rezero the 6x42 scope to these for use in its combination format.