New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greener Safety Modification
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have always loved drillings and have owned a bunch over the years. Except for a very few, they have all had Greener side safes, mostly on the left side of the wrist to accommodate right thumbs. I have taken great offense to this location being a lefty. I recently bought a Drual framed Sauer in 16 and 7X57R. It weighs 6 pounds, and of course it has the cursed left mounted Greener safety. I now have a solution to that problem and a gunsmith who can execute the solution. Here is the latest iteration:

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those on a Mauser bolt rifle. That does appear to be a rather elegant solution.

Who is the gunsmith, if you would not mind?

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vol717,
I too am a leftie and have a drilling with the Greener safety. That looks cool but I am not "seeing" how that makes life easier. I must be missing something obvious. Can you explain further?
To me that just looks like something else to snag my woolens.
Thx,
LouM

Posts: 106 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find this safety makes it easy to push off the safety much faster that trying to catch the edge of the side mounted button. I have had drillings with the safety mounted on the right side of the stock for a lefty. I like this better. The gunsmith agreed to let me post his contact info: The website is http://www.gunsmithingonly.com. They are in Kansas. Ask for Mike.

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another lefty here...

Over the years, i've tried different ways to deal with the safety problem, and this is the best way for ME, your mileage may vary... lol

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Vol717, thanks for that picture. I saw a few similar modification on another website.

I've had and hunted with drillings with the Greener safety. I hate them. There's a lot going on inside the action of a drilling and a Greener is a simple solution but it doesn't come to hand naturally enough for me, even after practice.

I really like that solution, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the best solution...the Schlagstuecksicherung

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Kessler drilling with one of those Schlagstuecksicherung thingies on the right side. Hated it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a Kessler drilling with one of those Schlagstuecksicherung thingies on the right side. Hated it.

Can I ask why? For me as a right hander, my thumb pushes the lever down as I mount the gun.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon,

You must have long thumbs. I couldn't reach it on the right side.