New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two New Toys
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I told myself I needed some new toys, so I got out the CC and called Simpson.

First is a 1935 proofed Fegers drilling in 16 and 8X57IR with Dural receiver and Dural 4X Hensoldt. It's un-molested and shoots under an inch with a cool barrel.

The other combo is a Valmet 300 series BBF in 12/222Rem. I shot sub-MOA groups with it while sighting it in. I have one like it in 22 Svg HP, a 2400 Savage/Valmet in 12/308, and one in stacked 12ga, both 26" IC/Mod and 28" M/F. The Savage 2400 has a SST; the others are DT, and all barrel sets fit all receivers.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Nice! you certainly did need these. Under and inch with a cool barrel is really nice.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah yes...a wonderfull illness...the addiction to combo guns!!!

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Ah yes...a wonderfull illness...the addiction to combo guns!!!

I guess I am an addict. This was prior to my latest additions. I added a Sauer drilling proofed 1962 16 & 7x57R, '64 proofed Fortuna 16-7X57R drilling, and a Kreighoff Trumpf Dural drilling 16 & 7X65R since this photo, but I sold a couple in the photo.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm a medium bore whore and some of my guns are a close fit. My Valmet set is 12/12 and 9.3/9.3. I would like a 308/12 but haven't looked. The Euro guns are attractive to me but I will have to move some others that I'm unwilling to set free at the moment. Nice guns Luv2. If you are to be in Misery let me know. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Misery-Rat,

The Valmet set is a great one, IMO. I had a bunch of barrel sets and several receivers at one time. Except for being heavy, there is nothing I can say bad about them.

This was my set in Tanzania in 2000 and Zimbabwe in 2002. It's a Tikka 512 in 12ga 3" over 9,3X74R, with a second barrel set, a Valmet 9,3/9,3.

Old age and economics dictated that I part with it, and I sure loved the gun.

You have a set up to hunt about anything, anywhere.

Rates a Two-Cool...

Cool Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes. I'm still looking for a scope mount. I wanted to put one on the 12/12 set for turkey hunting but I was late in looking. Anyone wish to sell a Valmet 512 scope mount? 30MM OR 1 inch will work fine. It would become my turkey sniper gun for Misery. Maybe some one will come up with one. Enjoy your toys and Be Well, Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a high quality air gun scope mount that has the set screw. They work great if you're not going to need a QD mount.

I might even have a base here that takes Weaver rings and a set of the older tougher Weaver rings with the big knobs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that QD base on the Valmet tapered? I hadn't thought of airgun bases due to that. Will PM you one of these days to talk about that. Don't want to clog up this thread with that stuff. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the 300 series guns and Savage 2400s that have the Sako dovetails on the barrel tops.

The 412-512 guns are entirely different.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is the 412/512 series. I'm confused now. The rifle set has a tapered base and I think the shotty does too. Will look. The manual was a 412 I think. It may have been a put together set but it all fits well. The 9.3 set had to be fitted before he could send it. Be Well, Rustyzipper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might be one of the very early 412s. Those imported into the US by Valmet had the straight-sided base much like that on 22 rifles.

If yours have the SAKO tapered bases get a set of early SAKO medium rings. They work well as QD mounts, BTW.

Can you post some pix of yours?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pictures? Maybe my son and/or grandson could get it done. Didn't think about the Sako rings working. The rings and scope all assembled would act as one detachable unit. Thanks for the thought, Be Well, Packy