New
Find
Notify
Tools

1889 SXS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just given a Remington SXS 1889 with Damascus barrels and circular hammers. I don't know much about these but I would like to clean it up and see that damascus barrel!
However, it does not have any firing pins. Is it possible to find these and put them in?
It may need another screw or such. It has been used but not abused.
thanks,
Del

Posts: 45 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on them, but I have a couple and the one my grandfather used to hunt with is my regular bird gun.

There were lots of different grades, but not all of them had damascus barrels.

Mine is super ugly (on purpose), but I sent it to Briley and they looked over the barrels, polished out any pitting, opened up the chokes, tightened the action and told me it was plenty safe with regular modern loads.

They told me that mine had "fluid steel" barrels and not damascus - therefore it could handle the modern ammo.

I wanted the outside of the gun to remain in rough condition like my grandfather used it, but Briley sure did a great job of making sure it was safe and solid. I'd highly recommend them to check yours out.

As far as I can tell parts are super tough to find. Briley had to make a top latch spring for mine. You might locate someone parting out a gun, but I don't know if there are many places to buy parts. At least I haven't found them.

About a year ago I broke a firing pin and searched high and low to replace it with no luck. My brother happens to be a prototype machinist so he didn't think they were any trick to machine. He had to get some steel he didn't normally work with, but I believe he saved the program in case I ever needed more.

Do you want me to check with him and see what he would charge to make a couple more? Since the new firing pin I've used mine on several hunts and a bit of practice and it's held up just fine.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyler,
That would be great if he could make a couple. I was just working on the barrels this evening. They sure feel rough. It may be that I just have a parts gun. It may be that those barrels should never be fired again.
I have a friend in Eugene, OR who is a master engraver and has several on these SXS's. I need to talk with him. Rocky Hayes.
So look forward to hearing from you.
delmartin@earthlink.net

Posts: 45 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
The barrels could be unsafe, but mine where pitted pretty bad. You should send them to Briley to see what they think before you give up on them.

I'll check with my brother about firing pins and get back to you.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I checked with him and he said he'd build a pair of the 1889 firing pins for $85. I don't know if he was including shipping in that or not, but they shouldn't cost much to ship.

Let me know if you want me to have him order the material and get started.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rocky does great work!

He just restored a silver trophy for the Lefever Arms Collectors Association that will now be a perpetual trophy.

Neither this project nor yours are engraving per se, but his skilled hands, great eye and attention to detail make be believe you'll be pleased with the outcome!