THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Wanted 16 ga drilling with oddball or damaged rifle caliber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted 16 ga drilling with oddball or damaged rifle caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have several drillings but Tennessee doesn’t permit small game hunting with a centerfire. So I’d like to find a drilling with a shot out, neglected or oddball rifle caliber. I want to have a rimfire liner put in it. I’d like 16ga for weight, hammerless, without greener safety (I’m a lefty). Anyone have any candidates?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never understood why you can't hunt with a drilling. I buy a small game license and a fur bearer license for coyote which you can hunt with centerfire. So why shouldn't I be able to hunt small game with a drilling and be equipped for the yote that stands and looks at 80 yds.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn’t make the law. Even my 25-20, 32-20 and 22 centerfires like hornet and 218 bee are useless for small game. When I lived in PA I hunted rabbits with the Bee.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 24C, with Williams 5D sights.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14328 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Laws are screwy some times.

Most likely why is they wanted to make it harder to shoot big game out of season.

Not that one could shoot and kill big game with a 22RF

I wouldn't know anybody that has done so.

Good luck with your quest

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to share a couple of considerations.
The rifle barrel on most drillings have relatively small diameters. This limits how much offset you could build in. The Brownells liners are 8mm or at least the drill for the liner is 8mm.
The firing pin has to be relocated or the 22 barrel offset. Relocating firing pin easier said then done and again original barrel diameter comes into play if you offset the barrel.
Suggestion: Get a double barrel shotgun and get an insert barrel for the rimfire. Poor man's cape gun?

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Suggestion: Get a double barrel shotgun and get an insert barrel for the rimfire. Poor man's cape gun?

......................Absolutely!
................................... old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vintage doubles currently has a couple 16ga cape guns for sale.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I have a Simpson drilling, 12ga, 12ga, 9.3x74R, with a .22 mag insert already in one of the shotgun barrels, if that might be close enough.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1559 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Schienendrilling.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try "Midsouth Guns" in Wagram, NC. They usually maintain quite the collection of drillings.

quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
I have several drillings but Tennessee doesn’t permit small game hunting with a centerfire. So I’d like to find a drilling with a shot out, neglected or oddball rifle caliber. I want to have a rimfire liner put in it. I’d like 16ga for weight, hammerless, without greener safety (I’m a lefty). Anyone have any candidates?

Posts: 3650 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at Simpson's?

https://simpsonltd.com/

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Sauer driller has an 11.65X65 rifle barrel that fits a .410 2 1/2" shell perfectly. With a .22 insert in the shotgun barrel, I can have two shotguns and a rifle, three shotguns, or any combination. The good thing is that I can shoot a deer, bear, or a big hog with the 11.65 barrel, and have two rifled slugs for backup.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the inputs. Many good ideas were shared. I own 4 drillings and all have 22 mag inserts, so I'm set in a conventional way. But I want two shotgun barrels and a rimfire barrel for early and late season small game hunting before and after deer season. I once had a rib drilling with a 22WRF between the barrels, but it was too worn out to function reliably. What I'm hoping to find is a drilling I can convert with a rimfire liner.