Find
Notify
Tools

Value of a vintage Heym Drilling
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
I have located an old Heym drilling 16X16 over 7x57r. It is in good condition everything seems to work fine including the rear flip up sight when you move from safe to fire. The one significant issue is that the trigger guard seems to be made of some type of black "bakelite?" type of material and it is broken near the front screw, I am sure some good epoxy would work in the short term until a proper replacement could be found/made. It would make for a nice little grouse/deer gun. It just seems like something that I would actually use. Anybody have any ideas on what it might be worth? The asking price of 3K seemed a little high to me but I will defer to my esteemed friends here for their learned advice.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JMHO....Does the gun have a scope? if it doesn't and this is a boxlock drilling, the price seems high. Heym made a few drillings in this combination with brass actions that were nickel plated...I would avoid these guns. if it is a dural action, check for any cracking or separation at the hinge pin.

A normal Heym boxlock drilling with no scope or mounts in this caliber combination is probably worth about $1500-2000 if it is in 90% or better condition. Figured wood, game scene engraving, scope and mounts could increase the value 2-3X.

Is the trigger guard bakelite or horn? Difficult to replace...best to do a good epoxy job.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at some of the results at auctions. And as said above does it have a scope or even just the bases. Holtsauctioneers.com have several drillings at most sales. Pricing varies quite considerably, depending upon condition and original quality.

Like any firearm value on older and more unusual is very much a subjective view and ultimately is what buyer and seller will agree. Big auction houses, internet etc all give a guide but not the same as actually having something close to you, that is available etc. if 3k is a bit high then make an offer. You may be the only offer in town and the seller might be happy to see it go to a good home.

If it doesn't have a scope, but has claw bases etc already fitted look carefully at how they are mounted. Most claws are fitted into some sort of dovetail on the rib - can these be driven sideways without removing the rib? If they can this gives lots of options, if they can't then new rings can be fitted, and on this forum there has been discussion re cutting claws on the bottom of a twist in Leupold type rings. Needs skill and or a lot of patience. Alternatively the likes of Reknagel can supply rings with claws partially formed that can be let in.

But if it's going to be a grouse gun, with an occasional shot at deer open sights would probably do the job, but that's very much your call. Certainly on my combination I would hesitate to take a shot at a fox or a deer with the open sights if sub 100 yds, but equally if I am after deer or foxes then scope is on.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick replies. No scope but there are bases on the rib. It was nickel on the receiver so that may be a clue to the brass receiver you mentioned. Nothing remarkable about it, just a neat old gun. My first thought was $1500/1600, I think that you guys are somewhat in agreement. He was pretty firm, but cash talks and I do NOT need another rifle. I'll let you know if I get it.

"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that one has a brass frame. I'd steer clear.

JDA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing that one has a brass frame. I'd steer clear.

The brass action guns are rare. Don't get me wrong there are steel action guns that have been nickel plated as well. Its just that a lot of less desirable guns found there way to the US...thus the many short chambered drillings in ancient calibers.

Even if the gun has the lower claw mounts, you are still talking a lot of dinaro to buy the uppers, get them fitted and buy a scope.
Unless the gun has some kind of personal value, be careful. You can probably pick up a nice basic Sauer drilling complete with scope for 3-3.5K and skip the hassle. To my mind a pre-war gun has no more value if its just a basic hunting gun. I'd opt for the 1980s drilling that's ready to go.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Jon - I looked at one of these a couple years ago and did some research at the time. As I recall, there were an even number of brass-framed verses steel framed. I also remember that both versions had issues with the tang breaking; however, I do not recall specifics.

In any event, picking up a used Sauer or similar is a good call. Modern manufacturing wins out in my mind.

JDA

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you for the information. It gives me a bit more to ponder and research. At this time though I am out because he is CONVINCED that it's worth every penny of 3K. I told him good luck and to call me when he's ready to take $1400. A modern Sauer 12/12/30-06 has been high on my list for some time now, and my hunt continues..........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Search for a drilling that comes with at least one scope that fits into factory mounts.

We carry guns like that a lot and I would prefer a 16 or 2o Ga. to keep the weight down.

Some of the euro 16's have short chambers but if the gun is right they are worth dealing with.

I have had side hammer shotguns and would not want another.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I'd try to find a Merkel or a Sauer... My Merk is a 12 over 30-06 and consistently puts 3 shots into a half inch. I also love the fact that the rifle trigger is a set trigger. If you look around there are some beautiful examples!

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
JDA, that is EXACTLY what I am looking for!

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Mine is a single 12 over a 30-06. I don't see the O/U Merks as often as the drillings. I like the O/U's and the way they handle.

Mine was built in the mid 80's and I think they quit importing them somewhere around 1994, and even before they only brought them into the country in limited quantities.

Keep looking; One will call your name eventually!!!!