New
Find
Notify
Tools

Set trigger return? Merkel 96k
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So, my new 96k has been tested through a hasty zeroing session today. It seems to shoot straight! A fellow shooter pointed out that the gun actually has a set trigger! I did not know...

But, my experience with set triggers is also rather limited. I therefore have the following question: Once the trigger has been set by pushing the front trigger forwards, how do I return it to "normal" without firing? The intended target could decide to fly or run off, before presenting a shot.

I tried setting the safety back on and breaking the gun, but the trigger remained set. The only solution was to pull the trigger on an empty chamber.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old traditional way was to unload the chamber, press sideways on the trigger and then bring it back. It clicks off set, but it doesn't trip the sear.

I've done this for 50+ years with the more traditional drillings and other combos.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my Hambrusch built one, I apply the safety and then squeeze the trigger - this releases the set but doesn't trip the firing pin. Saying that always have it pointing in a safe direction, or break the gun.

Luv2safari -the sideways pressure is interesting. I shoot mine left handed, so trigger pull from my left hand is somewhat sideways, and sometimes when using the set trigger, the set trips but doesn't tripper the hammer.

To be honest in the field I don't bother with the set trigger - just use the normal trigger.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muntjac,

My 96K has a safety directly behind the under (rifle) barrel cocker. The shotgun barrels cock themselves like a normal SxS shotgun, when opening/closing the action. The rifle barrel by activating (pushing forward) the Cocker/De-Cocker. The De-Cocker is the small button on the Cocker/De-Cocker which allows the feature to release itself without firing the rifle barrel.

The Set Trigger is the front trigger, operating either the rifle barrel or the right shotgun barrel. This is very useful when using an insert barrel in the right shotgun tube as then both rifle cartridges share the set trigger feature. It's not for everyone as the Teuton hunting concept is selective culling, mostly from High Seats, animal I.D. plays a huge role and there's normally lot's of time to do all the "Clicks" & "Clacks" involved with this realtively complicated system. It does though, IMO afford very precise shooting, as when "set" the trigger only takes a coupla ounces to trip the sear. In a quicker or more hurried scenario where speed is of the essence I often do not have time to fumble around with setting the trigger.

The adjutment for the Set Trigger is the small screw located between the two triggers. Sometimes when this is incorrectly adjusted the trigger begins to do wierd things - I'd ensure the adjsutment is not "too fine". This screw also has a bad habit of working itself loose over a period of time on some rifles, making for an ultimate "Big Suprise" when the trigger is set and the rifles discharges. Just check occaisionally to ensure the screw's "timing" stays where it's supposed to be. I've had some that were so loose that I've had to use an adhesive, change screws or tighten the threads to keep them in place.

I tried the "sideways" trick but it activated the trigger as if it was being pulled. Worked fine for "un-setting" w/safety on, though.

When the set trigger is set on my Drilling; I either open the Drilling and pull the front trigger which unsets it, or with the safety on, pull the trigger and it releases the "set" feature.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

Thank you for your advice. The set trigger return is as I thought, then: Broken gun or safety on and pull the trigger in a safe direction.

I did not know about the possibility of adjusting the set weight. I think I will try to increase the weight quite a lot, as I am more used to normal weight (2-3lb) crisp triggers.

Muntjac

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did not know about the possibility of adjusting the set weight. I think I will try to increase the weight quite a lot, as I am more used to normal weight (2-3lb) crisp triggers.

Muntjac,

Adjusting the trigger requires a very fine Jewlers screwdriver; if not, you'll mess up the screw slot.

For my taste, as your's is obviously otherwise; here's how I'd suggest to proceed:

1. Ensure the Drilling is unloaded.

2. Close the action,

3. Cock the rifle barrel,

4. Set the trigger.

5. Adjust the set trigger screw until the sear falls.

This is your default position.

Now increase the screw tension @ +1.5 turns. This ought to give you a set trigger with @ +1lb. weight. This affords you the opportunity to use the set trigger with some reduced trigger weight but not down to several ounces so that that in all the "hunting excitement" things go "Boom" unexpectedly.

You'll notice that when you use the trigger un-set there is considerable take-up but when it releases it is pretty "dry" although requires considerably more pressure than a rifle trigger, sorta more like a shotgun trigger w/less slop. It'll most probably be alot more than 2-3 lbs.

Be careful with this process as there are alot of small pins inside the trigger that don't lend themselves well to severe pressure and ultimately you can break off a Bit & Piece that requires expensive repair.

Having said all that; if you don't trust yourself with this - take it back to your "Friendly Gunsmith" for a professional adjustment, I'm sure he can adjust the trigger to your desires.

Good Luck w/your Drilling.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know what? I think you are exactly right :-) I'll have my friendly gunsmith adjust it to an abnormally heavy set trigger :-)