New
Find
Notify
Tools

16 gauge 2.5" slugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone on here know of such a thing or am I dreaming? I am willing to load my own if that is still possible in this day and age. Any opinions welcome.....

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never measured a slug hull, but because they're normal length & roll crimped, you might find they are 2 1/2" already. Let us know.
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Brayhaven

quote:
Never measured a slug hull, but because they're normal length & roll crimped, you might find they are 2 1/2" already. Let us know.
Greg

I kind of wondered that myself let us know what you find out.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just happened to have a couple 16 fired emties sitting here;
Traditions 65mm 2.58"
Traditions 67mm 2.685"
Federal 2 3/4 slug roll crimp 2.74"
2 3/4 Remington Express star crimp 2.71"

Hmmm??
Ballistic Products 16 Gauge Manual lists a couple of 67mm slug loads, but no 2 1/2 inch slug loads.
Can't say that I have ever seen any, but as Einstein used to say, 'absence of evidence is not evidence of abscense.'
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought a set of 16 to 20 guage adapers from the Drilling Hotline. They allow me to shoot 20 guage 2 3/4 inch shells in that gun. If I recall correctly, Joe had found pretty decent accuracy in his gun with 20 guage Brenekes. Another possible option for something more readily available.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the chambers reamed on a few short 16 ga. chambers (Dennis Olsen, Plains, MT). Results were great. I just picked up a BBF in 8x57JR/16 ga. 2.75 ....and am amazed at the accuracy. Rifles slugs go exactly where gun is pointed; 8mm rifle barrel also perfectly accurate (open sights, because gun has a 16mm rib - and I cannot find a mount to fit). I am really surprised and delighted. Again....check the wall thickness of your shotgun chamber....and if do-able, have the chamber lengthened 1/4 inch.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote