Find
Notify
Tools

first drilling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of HTR30CAL
posted
what would be a good first drilling that is not real expensive, not cheap but inexpensive

there is room for all of God's creatures, right on my wall

Wyoming Wolves, Smoke A Pack A Day

Wolves, Government Sponsored Terrorists

If its hungry, send it a Berger

Posts: 44 | Location: Wyoming USA | Registered: 22 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wife and I both have Sauer 3000 drillings in 12x12x30/06. We like them a lot, it is my wifes favorite hunting gun.

I also use a couple of Blaser D99,s.

They are excellent guns as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are no such ting as a inexpensive drilling.
the only thing that could be described as 'achievable for normal people' is Antonio Zoli.

since price is of concern, ask yourself:
do i REALLY need that second shotgun barrel?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen:
there are no such ting as a inexpensive drilling.
the only thing that could be described as 'achievable for normal people' is Antonio Zoli.

since price is of concern, ask yourself:
do i REALLY need that second shotgun barrel?

Agreed.

You can try an older drilling but...
I first bought a 16x16x9.3x72R for somewhere between $1500 and $2000. It was a back action hammer gun, the most righteous off all actions. However, I fed it high cost 2 5/8" shells of low pressure, bought rifle brass from the Old Western Scrounger, dies from RCBS, bullets from Hawk, etc. It was all expensive and frankly not that useful other than for upland game and a regular sxs would have been better for that. The rifle wasn't that accurate no matter what load I tried and long range was out of the question.

The Sauer 3000 would have been more expensive up front, but would have been useful for everything on the continent. I would have saved money over all if I'd have gone that route first.

Best of luck. Drillings are fun to hunt with .

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mt Al

Good post, I agree it is better to spend more up front and get a good Drilling that you can use a bunch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second on the 3000 Sauer in 12ga/30-06 as a first drilling. I've owned about 100 drillings in my lifetime and loved most of them. There was always someone who came along and "loved" them a bit more, however. Wink And, they paid for the love...and I used the love to buy others... Roll Eyes

Not my favorite, but one of three I have kept for the rest of my time here, is a Sauer 3000 circa mid 1960's in 12/30-06 with a good Nickel Supra 6X in claw mounts. These can be found for about $4K and are the most useful drilling for an American hunter out there, IMO. If limited to only one drilling, it would be the Sauer 12/'06...

I don't care for to beavertail forends, so I spend 1 1/2 hunnerd and had a good stockmaker make mine into a splinter that is more at home in my hand.

Spend enough the first time to get a good drilling and avoid the ones in strange chamberings or that are "just a bit loose" ! They will cost you a lot in the long run for various reasons, and leave you frustrated and without a drilling to shoot for years, while a high-priced gunsmith sorts them out...in their own sweet time...

L2S

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will echo Luv2's sentiment about a good first drilling as a Sauer 3000. Mine is a 12/7X65R with a .22LR insert. While the 12 gauge is much more usable as a working drilling, the 12 gauge drillings are not light. A lighter alternative is a 16 gauge prewar drilling. I recommend a good prewar boxlock drilling by Sauer or Kreighoff in 16X8X57JR (.318 bore), the most common readily usable prewar drilling calibers. I load my own ammo but 2-1/2" 16GA shotshells are readily available as is S&B 8X57JR rifle ammo. Make sure that the action is tight and try to find one with a scope already mounted. Plan to add at least $1000 to have a modern scope fitted to claw mounts. I must admit that I haven't loaded any rifle ammo in five years as I'm shooting up five boxes of factory ammo first.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sauer 3000 is a good drilling, but there are a lot of good ones out there. Many I consider as good or better, for less money. I have several drillings that I would sell including 3 model 3000 Sauers.
I also prefer the 16 ga in drllings. I have had several 12's and they were just too fat & bulky for me in the receiver area. I sold them all. You can load up 16 ga to some good 12 ga levels (1 1/4 oz) and down to 20 ga easily (3/4-7/8oz) I've taken my limit in gobblers the past 6 years with a 16. The 16 is also undergoing a well deserved resurgence. Interestingly, in this hysteria (obama induced) ammo shortage, I'm finding plenty of 16 ga ammo Red Face). If you're really wanting a drilling, I'll let you know what I have. PM me. I had 13 drillings at last count, and only use @ 4 of them. I've decided to send a few of them on to someone who can use them & fund some other shooting projects Red Face).
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have owned and hunted with several Drillings in my life, and I too prefere a 16 ga for the shot barrels on a standard drilling. However the only drilling that really interests me is one with the side by side barrels both rifle barrels, and a single shot barrel on the bottom.

I also like cape guns, and there I still prefere the 16 ga as well. I have a couple of cape guns now that I have had for probably had for just over 40 yrs, and my favorite is a little German made sidelock Hammer H.Barella. It is a 16ga on the left barrel, and an 8X57JR on the right barrel.

The shot barrel was chambered for the short 16 ga, and choked so tight you had to let Blue Quali get out 60 yards before firing at them. I have the chamber opened to 2 3/4" and the choke opened to Modified, now it is a sweet dove, or quail gun but will place a Brenneke slug right beside the rifle barrel on the target at 100 yds every time. The 8X57JR uses a 196 gr bullet @ 2400 fps, and will flatten a New Mexico elk or black bear in a heartbeat!

The perfect drilling, IMO, would be one with a paire of 9.3X74R barrels side by side, with a single barrel underneath chambered for 16 ga shotgun with screw in choke tubes, one modified for slugs & upland birds, and the other one full choke for turkey. I could hunt the world with that drilling for the rest of my life without feeling under gunned! Talk about a back packing gun for extended stays in the wilderness areas of Alaska, or Canada!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting how we view drillings, based on hwat we do with them. To me, double rifle drillings are interesting, but I don't really have any use for them. I love single shot rifles and find 1 shot with a rifle is all I ever need. However, I have no interest at all in a single shot shotgun, as you so often need that other barrel for wingshooting. That, to me, is why a conventional drilling is the perfect all around gun. AFIC Smiler
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

one of us
posted Hide Post
I must say that I fine my Sauer 12x12x30/06 Drilling to be one of the best handling wingshooting shotguns I have ever shot.

I do not fine it too BIG at all, in fact I like the way in handles better than my 12 ga Browning Citori.

Nothing wrong with the "power" of a 16 ga, but I would much rather have a 12 ga or as in my Blaser Drillings a 20ga, because I can get shotgun shells to fit them ANYWHERE including Walmart.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I agree with you, do you know of anyone that manufactures one of that configuration? That would be perfect!

Jerry

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strangely, during the obama induced "ammo shortage", I have no trouble finding 16 ga factory shells. I keep a year or 2 supply always in stock on my ammo shelves Smiler. I still reload for the 16, but I also do it for 12's & 20's because I can load a better shell and can do specialized loads.

As for the 12 ga bulk, weight & fat receivers, it's just a matter of taste. I don't like 12 ga SXS doubles either. I agree on the 20 ga drilling. I have one (6.5X58R), that I love to shoot at clays, birds and of course, deer & hogs Smiler.
After my mornings in a tree stand, I have a couple wood duck ponds on my lease that I like to sneak on, and put one or 2 in the freezer. Drillings are great!! Cool
Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for the 12 ga bulk, weight & fat receivers, it's just a matter of taste. I don't like 12 ga SXS doubles either. I agree on the 20 ga drilling. I have one (6.5X58R), that I love to shoot at clays, birds and of course, deer & hogs Smiler.
After my mornings in a tree stand, I have a couple wood duck ponds on my lease that I like to sneak on, and put one or 2 in the freezer. Drillings are great!! Cool
Greg

I agree with this...I have several drillings and the 16 or 20 gauge variety seem much more compact, lighter and quicker in my hands. I also am a fan of the Dural drillings that break the 7 lb barrier (without scope) easily and with 63-65 cm barrels (24.8-25.6 inches)swing pretty good. The pressures on the normal Euro rimmed cartridges are low enough that these alloy frames hold up very well. IMO. the masters of the art of the drilling may be in Ferlach. I have held several of these in steel actions that were wonderfully light and slender.
My small game drilling is a 20/70 over a 22 Savage Hi Power (5.6 x 52R). This gun at 6lb 9 oz weighs less than my 16 gauge Simson. The little cartridge is very effective on varmint/predators.

For those that shoot birds with their drilling, getting used to the side safety takes some doing. There were drillings made by both Krieghoff and the various Suhl makers that put the safety on top of the wrist either next to the cocking (rifle) lever or in back of it. If you can find one, Simson made a deluxe model in the 1980's with that configuraton.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing wrong with the "power" of a 16 ga, but I would much rather have a 12 ga or as in my Blaser Drillings a 20ga, because I can get shotgun shells to fit them ANYWHERE including Walmart.

I hear this repeated over and over, so for a long time now, when i go into a place that sells shotgun ammo, i look for 16ga. shells. And over and over, there's always at least "some" 16ga. loads where ever i go. There may not be a lot of choises, and the 16's will probably be a bit higher priced than the cheapo 20's and 12's, but there's "always" 16's there, even at Walmart.

I also buy my ammo "ahead" to have what ever load i want around, and i also reload for 16ga. too. Plus, with a couple adapters i own, i can shoot cheapo 20ga. ammo in my 16ga. too. So i really don't see "ammo" as being a disavantage of owning a 16ga drilling at all...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
quote:
Greg

I agree with this...I have several drillings and the 16 or 20 gauge variety seem much more compact, lighter and quicker in my hands. I also am a fan of the Dural drillings that break the 7 lb barrier (without scope) easily and with 63-65 cm barrels (24.8-25.6 inches)swing pretty good. The pressures on the normal Euro rimmed cartridges are low enough that these alloy frames hold up very well. IMO. the masters of the art of the drilling may be in Ferlach. I have held several of these in steel actions that were wonderfully light and slender.
My small game drilling is a 20/70 over a 22 Savage Hi Power (5.6 x 52R). This gun at 6lb 9 oz weighs less than my 16 gauge Simson. The little cartridge is very effective on varmint/predators.

For those that shoot birds with their drilling, getting used to the side safety takes some doing. There were drillings made by both Krieghoff and the various Suhl makers that put the safety on top of the wrist either next to the cocking (rifle) lever or in back of it. If you can find one, Simson made a deluxe model in the 1980's with that configuraton.

I've examined a lot of dural drillings over the years and have never found one that was loose from shooting. I just figured it was because they kick more and consequently were shot less.. Big Grin Not really, the wear points & critical places are all steel and the notion that rifle cartridge slam back against the receiver (breech pressure) when fired is a myth.
As for the safety, it is harder for most to get used to that lever safety on the eft side. On my hunting drillings, I solder a "button" on top of the existing one to extend it out @ 3/32" & checker it, and roll the checkering slightly up on the top edge. You can easily flick the safety up as the gun is on the way up, just as you would a tang safety.

Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've examined a lot of dural drillings over the years and have never found one that was loose from shooting. I just figured it was because they kick more and consequently were shot less.. Big Grin Not really, the wear points & critical places are all steel and the notion that rifle cartridge slam back against the receiver (breech pressure) when fired is a myth.
As for the safety, it is harder for most to get used to that lever safety on the eft side. On my hunting drillings, I solder a "button" on top of the existing one to extend it out @ 3/32" & checker it, and roll the checkering slightly up on the top edge. You can easily flick the safety up as the gun is on the way up, just as you would a tang safety.

I have often thought about doing that, but instead just got accustomed to propping the gun on my hip with my thumb on the side safety. Over pointing dogs there aren't as many surprise shots anyway.

I once saw a dural drilling with a very fine hair crack in the action. However, the owner admitted he was a reloader and I suspect that had something to do with it. I have shot hundreds of birds over the years with all my dural drillings and have never had an issue...and I generally use B and P shot shells which are fairly stout loads. I had my Krieghoff dural combination gun serviced while living in Germany. The gunsmith at the factory maintained that dural actions were proofed at 40-50% above the pressure of commercial loads..and that I should not be concerned at all as far as the longevity of the action. Its been years...but I think his recommendation was not exceed 1040 bar (does that sound right?).
I shoot deer with the 7 x 65R in that combo gun and really don't think the recoil is an issue...way less than the 30-06 that I sold. I like the Euro cartridges...easy shooting and very effective out to 200 yds..farther if you're capable.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote