Notify
Tools

Combination Gun Accuracy Test
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting clays with the scope on??...interesting!!

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He does it with a drilling too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=src-r8oDTzk

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Shooting clays with the scope on??...interesting!!

It just takes practice. I've done it for years, hunting deer in chuckar and blue grouse country with drillings with scopes mounted.

I shoot equally poorly either way. It poses no handicap, IMO.

Kidding aside, it isn't hard to master shooting with the scope mounted. With both eyes on the bird and a feel of the gun with practice it's not a big handicap. The added weight of the scope and mounts does slow things down, and I think that hampers wing shooting more than the scope in the way.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting clays with the scope on is simply to demonstrate you can hit clays or fast moving objects without removing it first. I prefer 1x or 1.5x variable scopes matched to combo guns. Red dots are even a better choice. 6x is more than enough for deer to 200m with the 7x57R and 7x65R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find 4X about ideal for a 7X65R drilling in our wide open spaces where we often are presented 250-350 yard cross-canyon shots. Even a 6X is not to high magnification and is sometime advantageous.

I've taken deer at nearly 400 yards with the 7X65R and the good set trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have been more impressed if he had been hitting those clays with the rifle bbl... lol

All kidding aside, when I was younger, this was a common group for my "go to drilling",

BUT, I never have shot ANYTHING at 400 yards, in fact I pass on those long shots, and I don't mind going home without a shot...

I did shoot a coyote at something over 300 though, a 200NP through the ribs did the trick. lol

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's common here to sight in at 300 yards, and I seldom take a shot over 350, but a very nice buck a relatively short haul DOWN hill to the truck at 400 yards is in trouble. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done Chuck! tu2

I've also shot clays with both BBF and drilling, each with a 1.5-6 scope on. Chuck was there to see me roll a hare going full gallop through the pine forest with the BBF too, years ago, and that is by no means the only one of those, as well as sundry other critters, both flying and running, that I've taken with the scope on.

I too think that a 1.5-6 is pretty near ideal on a combination or drilling. Not only do you have the ability to shoot the running and flying critters with both eyes open, but enough magnification to reach well out there.

Posts: 92 | Location: follow the yellow brick road | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
I would have been more impressed if he had been hitting those clays with the rifle bbl... lol

All kidding aside, when I was younger, this was a common group for my "go to drilling",

BUT, I never have shot ANYTHING at 400 yards, in fact I pass on those long shots, and I don't mind going home without a shot...

I did shoot a coyote at something over 300 though, a 200NP through the ribs did the trick. lol

DM

Precision shooting!

Rates a two-cool... Cool Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good groups. My experience with my Ferlach BBF is shoots accurately, but you have to shoot slowly and let barrel cool completely between shots, otherwise they go high.

As far as I am concerned, its a hunting gun and first shot is what counts.

It can be a bit of a pain, if you are paying £15 for half an hour on a tunnel range, and you want to test a few loads.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote