Find
Notify
Tools

Vierling by Gottfried Juch, Ferlach
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey all.
I just bought a Vierling in 16/70, 7x65R and 22 Hornet. It comes with an insert barrel in 5,6x50R as well. I would like to post some pictures of her. However, I have forgotten how to upload pictures to this forum since the last time that I shared something here. Can anybody please point me in the right direction?

Posts: 42 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see them! Always wanted a vierling, but i can only count to three.
I use Imgur. You set up an account, import your pictures to their site. Copy the url to you post and in theory it magically appears. There might be an easier way. But that mostly works for me.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot. There are some images in the Vierling tag. I do not know how to post the pics in the text though, but this should work.
Here is a little more information about the gun:
It is configured like a o/u shotgun, with the rifle barrels in the soldering. On the right hand side is a 7x65R barrel, and on the left hand side is a 22 Hornet barrel, which is adjustable from the front.
It was imported to Norway from Germany in 2004 by a Norwegian gun-writer. Sadly, he died a short time after importing the gun, and he never used it. His son inherited the gun. He is not a hunter/shooter, and he stored it in a safe until now, when I bought it.
I have been craving a Vierling for years. But these weapons are not easy to come by. And the few that I have seen for sale (in Germany) has been very expensive, and not to my liking. I simply cannot stand the Greener safety (on the side of the gun). I have an interest in combination guns, and I have been importing different drillings from Germany to Norway over the years. Different kinds of safety mechanisms and cocking devices are ok by me, but I cannot make myself like or learn how to use the Greener safety.
This drilling came in a nice leather case, which also included a metal flask with grease for the hinges. An insert barrel in 5,6x50R was fitted to the lower shotgun barrel. It was topped by a SuB 4-12x42 scope in a claw mount. This is, in my view, a supremely unfitting scope for this gun. It came with an extra set of claw mounts with 30mm rings, which I have used for a Swarovski z8i 1-8x24 scope.
The safety is ingenious on this weapon. A small knob on top of the safety have to be suppressed in order to engage the safety. Pushed forward, and the shotgun barrels are engaged and the letters SCH (for SCHROT which means shotgun In German) becomes visible. When pushed backward the letter K (for Kugel - bullet) becomes visible. When the safety is pushed backwards the front trigger engages the 7x65R barrel, and the back trigger engages the 22 Hornet barrel. Both of the triggers are set-triggers.
It shoots beautifully! One of the pictures shows the first two shots with the 7x65R barrel at 100 meters distance, and the first shot with the 22 Hornet barrel. I use my own loads in 7x65R with a 140 grains Nosler Accubond bullet, that I developed some time ago for a different weapon. I use S&B factory loads in The 22 Hornet barrel. The fmj and lead tips shoots to the same poi with this rifle.
So far, I have only shot pigeons with it. It swings beautiful. Some birds were treeing at distances between 80 – 130 meters, and it was great fun to plink pigeons! A little bang and a cloud of feathers, and not much damaged meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is really nice. A great set of cartridges. I really like the safety. My drillings have greener safes and I am not a fan.
I'm curious how much it weighs. The few vierlings that ive handled ave been a bit heavy.
Great find.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It weighs 3,6 kg (7,9 lbs). It carries easily, and it is really well ballanced. I have two other drillings that weighs 3,4 kg each.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a very useful gun. Understand what you mean re the 4 -12 x42 Scope, but it will be very useful when after mountain type game. Don't discount the effective range of the 7x65R - with a fast streamlined bullet it's a 300m plus calibre. With mine I have taken deer at 200, but at which point my eyes are now beginning to struggle with the 6x42 scope - funny I didn't have any issue ten years ago when I got mine.

I was in Austria last year and they were hunting Marmots with the 222 barrel of a bergdrilling fitted with a similar scope.

But for shorter ranges I also have a 1-4x24 Docter scope in a claws as well.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@Heym SR20: yes, I see what you mean. The 7x65R is a very versatile calibre. And there are situations where the 4-12 is useful. Thank you for the input.

I am 56, and I can still use the open sights. I dread the day when I can no longer shoot straight using the open sights. The balance and carriability of the break open guns are so much better without a scope attached.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply Awesome Rifle.
Let It build nowadays in Ferlach and you will pay a FORTUNE or buy a Ferrari

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is so true. This vierling was produced in 1972. I wonder what it would cost if it was commissioned today... ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well my Combination was made by Hamnrsuch also in Ferlach. I visited them last year when I was in Austria and Peter Hambrusch kindly showed me around their factory. To build my combination now would cost €15,000 to €20,000 as a starting point.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hambrusch is very good and well known Gunmaker in Ferlach.
Order a Drilling by Peter Hofer, Glanznig, Fanzoj, Scheiring or Hauptmann Gunmakers and you will start with €50000.- or much more.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow... these prices are insane.
There is a very interesting vierling for sale at egun now. It weighs only 3kg.
https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=12768622

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done some restoration work on the stock now. The checkering was 24lpi... it was time consuming and challenging to restore it, but I am very happy with the result. I have used CCL red root oil in the wood. Blemishes in the metal was cleaned with Autosol. I am happy with the end result. :-)
I have added pictures at the end on this link:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The picture link does not seem to work? It is the same link as in post #3, with the new pictures added. Please klick on that link in order to see the new pictures.