THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    What's the difference between Valmet 412 and 512?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the difference between Valmet 412 and 512?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
What's the difference between a Valmet 412 and 512? I am looking at one with a couple of barrel sets; 12-gauge O/U and .30-06 double rifle.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3816 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well - there is no Valmet 512.
When they stopped making the Valmet guns in Finland, shotgun production was moved to Italy where the lineup was made under the Tikka brand.
The gun is still available as the FinnClassic; made in Spain, I believe.

As to the difference I'm not quite sure what is the truth so I'm rather hesitant to comment; but do a search on the NitroExpress.com forums. The topic has been covered there in rather much detail.

When speaking of the Valmet, keep in mind that the 412 is the old model, and the 412S is its more modern sibling. So if you've some across a 412 then it's a fairly old gun. No worse for that per se.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were Tikka 512's...I took a cape buffalo and a kudu with one in 12/9,3X74R.

It was a DT version and I later added 9,3 DR tubes.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DT were available for ALL models, it was a dealer installed option. I've put in many sets...

As an old Valmet distributor, IMHO the origional Findland made guns had better steel in them. Some folks also will say the later 512's had a better finish. I can't comment on that.

The "S" models had slightly different stocks/finishes, and a slight change made to the fireing pins.

I still have the very first 412 that came into my shop, it still shoots perfectly, and has had NO repairs.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DM I just purchased a 412 from teh classified section on here last night.

I am interested in having a set of 9.3 DR tubes fited. If I can find a set can you still fit them for me?

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I no longer have an FFL, so you can't send the gun to me...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries.

Any thoughts on who might be able to do the fitting?

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ Gould at DoubleGun Hqs. can have it done for you...at a price... Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will track down his contact info and inquire with him.

This will give me an 30/06 double and a 9.3x74R double to go along with my Krieghoff 470NE I got this year.

Thanks.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone here own a newer 512 double rifle?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Just sold my 412S (3 bbl) set.

Served me well.

Over the years I had both Finnish and Italian barrels--

I can not confirm the 512 or the Tikka finish was any better.

I have yet to see the "new" FinnClassic

offering in the flesh--though I am curious.

I do think they could sell quite a few

375 Flanged barrels if they would offer them

(and yes I had the 9.3 barrels)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there is still interest out there, I have a Valmet 412 receiver, 3 barrel set (20/20; 12/.222; & 30-06/30-06) plus the scope mount, available. All barrels fitted.
Hoping to fund a rolling block project.
lcmorton AT comcast DOT com

Posts: 106 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
louM
Sent you a PM
Wally

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote