New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Savage 22/410
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone here shooting the new Savage 22/410?

What do you think of it?

Can it be taken down?

Savage 22/410

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind of a homely brute but I have a soft spot for Savage combo guns. I might consider one.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is an ugly gun!

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My 1st gun was the Savage 23 in 22 mag/ 20 gauge. That was over 50 years ago.... glad the gun is still in production but this one is a lot uglier than mine. Walnut tops plastic any day!

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sir, I am not shooting one.

What do I think of it? Wellllll.....it isn't as pretty, elegant, attractive or whatever other adjective one would like to hang on it, as my Jost & Diehl combination gun. I wouldn't buy the Savage but I rarely purchase anything post WWII. I think it's as ugly as a mud fence but it's still a combination gun and I expect will work admirably and accurately for the intended purpose.

There has to be some simple way to take it down. It's still a break action firearm.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
At $485 it is a little over priced for what it is,IMO!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the best I can say, it looks very functional.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Savage 24V with very fine walnut butt--surprised Savage used such a nice piece. Had a Leupold 1x-4x scope on it. This is the .222/ 20 gauge combo, so thought the 1x would work for the shotgun. It wasn't regulated, the .222 right on and shotgun shot low. One son in law got a turkey with it and I gave it to another son in law. I didn't shoot it much the .222 was very accurate. .

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The first gun I ever owned was a 22lr/410 Savage Model 24.

I gave it to my little brother when I joined the navy, I wonder what ever happened to it?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
the best I can say, it looks very functional.

That is absolutely true! It would be a fine canoe gun or about perfect for a trapper, or back packer light and well set up to be pretty weather proof.

........................................................................ tu2

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it still has that stupid barrel selector on the hammer.

I would rather buy the Chiappa combo gun with double triggers.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
A long time ago Savage used a better selector system:

No doubt the hammer mounted selector is considerably cheaper to manufacture. Other parts like the trigger guard and opening lever have also gone to cheaper and cheaper designs over the years. I don't like to see gunmakers replacing steel with plastic.

Remember when they offered the Deluxe version that was a deluxe version?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its ugly. I suppose 410 with 22LR or 22Mag would be useful for shooting birds and small game, but its utility is quite limited. Certainly here in the UK with strict firearms laws, and given the rifle barrel it counts as a firearm, I won't want to waste a slot of my ticket with one. If I was canning in the backcountry of Canada, it could be useful, but will a 410 with slugs do any more than just annoy a bear?

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but will a 410 with slugs do any more than just annoy a bear?

Placed in the brain or the lungs it well kill it.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 1st gun was the Savage 23 in 22 mag/ 20 gauge.

I still have mine! The 22mag barrel was VERY accurate. Presumably because it was stiffened by the 20ga. barrel.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
A long time ago Savage used a better selector system:

No doubt the hammer mounted selector is considerably cheaper to manufacture. Other parts like the trigger guard and opening lever have also gone to cheaper and cheaper designs over the years. I don't like to see gunmakers replacing steel with plastic.

Remember when they offered the Deluxe version that was a deluxe version?

The fact is the side button selector of the older combination guns was prone to break! The fix is to replace the hammer with the newer hammer with the selector. It is not a good looking feature but is far more reliable. The Savage O/U combination guns and GOOD LOOKING have no business being in the same sentence anyway!
..................................................................... coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have one, I bought it because I got it cheap and wanted it for the ,410.

So far, that's all I've fired is the .410 bbl. and only with shot. So far I haven't found anything that will give me a decent pattern so the gun isn't getting used.

I've owned 4 or 5 of the old 24's and NOT ONE of them was regulated so both bbls. shot to the sights, so they were of NO use to me and I sent them down the road!

As for now, I'd rate the new 43 a terd too!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you actually expect an inexpensive BBF like the Savage 24/42 to be regulated to your satisfaction? Wink

Why did you keep buying them? Big Grin

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage should make that gun in 30-30/20 gauge

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luv2safari:
Do you actually expect an inexpensive BBF like the Savage 24/42 to be regulated to your satisfaction? Wink

Why did you keep buying them? Big Grin

Because I had a gun shop and guys would trade them in. I would then, test them out...

For some reason, guys buy them, even though they are a terd. lol

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote