New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for Reloading 9.3X72R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently traded for a drilling in 9.3X72R. It is a relatively late gun with 9.3X73R Norm. marked on the bottom of the rifle barrel. I know from recent reading that the 9.3X72R Normal cartridge was developed as a cartridge that previous proprietary 9.3X72Rs could be rechambered to. Fortunately I had a drilling in this caliber 20 years ago and kept the ammo, as I figured I'd get another gun in this caliber some day. I have two boxes of RWS factory ammo and 30 RWS 193 grain bullets identical to the factory loading. From what I can learn, RWS doesn't sell these bullets any more. Can anyone suggest a source of .364 diameter flat-nosed bullets in this weight that I can use for reloading? Is there a factory duplication load available? Thanks for the help.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawk makes a 200 gr .365 bullet that works fine.

www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd slug the bbl. before i decided on which bullet to use. The bore may be bigger than you think.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sellier and Bellot makes a good 193 grain SPFP bullet in .366. Like already mentioned, bore sizes on these old rifles can vary so better check.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything in .364, .365, or .366 around 190-200grains will work fine.

The bullet will size to the barrel the instant it enters and well before any significant pressures are present.

You're only dealing with .001" difference on all sides if you use a .366 in a .364 barrel. It doesn't make any real difference.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the ballistics of that round the S&B jacketed bullet would work but a nice flat nosed gas check cast bullet would work just as well, save the bore from wear and kill anything just as dead.

Go over to Castboolits.com
Lots of knowledge there.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
Given the ballistics of that round the S&B jacketed bullet would work but a nice flat nosed gas check cast bullet would work just as well, save the bore from wear and kill anything just as dead.

+1

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This S&B bullet here is quite cheap, I wouldn't bother with casting my own. It is by the way my favourite roe deer bullet.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As little as one shoots these guns, I can't justify the trouble of casting bullets or worry about wear. The soft jacketed Hawk 200gr .365 is the easiest solution, IMO.

If someone does a lot of casting in general, then casting definitely would make sense, however.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hawk bullet is the way to go. I have used them in my 9,3x74R and in my 450/400. I have shot a lot of deer and pigs with them as well as several impala with the 9,3.

If the velocity of your drilling is under 2300fps, and you want some expansion, I would go with the .025 jacket.

I use the 300gr Hawks in my 450/400 at @2330fps for deer and pigs, and I have yet to have one take a step after being shot.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No 2,

One thing I could never understand about Hawk is why they make their .318 bullets in 180gr and 220gr??

This brackets the one needed and commonly used in the 8X57 JR, which is 196gr. I can get the 180s to regulate by slowing them Way down, but the 220s always print very high. I don't dare run them fast enough to come close to regulating in my drilling and cape gun. They also shot far to the right out of the cape gun, as would be expected.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you ask Hawk it they would make you some 196 grainers? I think they will do custom orders if you order 4 boxes or so.

Give them a call.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had thought of that, No 2, but I'll never use up 4 boxes. What I would like are a few boxes in .320; I have one gun that slugs to .321 and another to right at .320, maybe the slightest hair under. I have shot some old 170 gr .321 Cor-Lokts in them for years and get great groups that I don't get with .318 196gr bullets. They just shoot very low to the iron sights. I have them both scoped and overcome that, but I would like to be close without a scope if need be.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Does Hawk ever respond to email? I've tried twice with no response. I know I just need to pick up the phone, but it is annoying that companies list a "contact us" email and then never respond.

Also, did the original poster buy some 9.3x72r bullets and if so, did they shoot well?

Lastly, does any company sell a bullet mould that duplicates the S&B/old RWS bullet shape?

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just talked to Andy at Hawk and they make a 200 grain .265 diameter bullet for the 9.3X72R. I also asked if he would make 196 grain .318 bullets. He said that he would do a run of these bullets for a 3 box (50rd) minimum order. They are $40 a box. Andy said that one person doesn't need to order everthing, that other people can call in and add to the order in as few as one box quantities. He will ship the ammo directly to the people who order the ammo. Their number is 856 299 2800. I'd like one box of .318s, so if two more people want bullets, he'll do the run.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I have stated in other posts, Andy at Hawk bullets is a pleasure to deal with and his bullets kill game very well.
They are some of the most effective bullets I have ever used.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
As I have stated in other posts, Andy at Hawk bullets is a pleasure to deal with and his bullets kill game very well.
They are some of the most effective bullets I have ever used.

Dragging out this thread again. I have called Hawk bullets probably ten time, get an answering machine, leave a return phone number and never get a return call. I've emailed and equal number of times and never get an email.

I live in Alaska, so getting S&B ammo is not an option. I have plenty of brass and just need bullets. I'd love to use the Hawk bullets, but Andy, though he may be a great guy, doesn't return phone calls. I'd love to give him some money for his product but.....

I may be reduced to only shooting the Makarov bullets.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to call Buffalo Arms. They don't have any in stock right now, but they do carry them. Here's a link.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/products.aspx?CAT=3770
I've had good service from these folks on odd bullets and brass. They have knowledgeable people there to talk with as well.
Another option is to watch Gunbroker for bullets. Another option would be to paper patch some bullets designed for the 35 Remington. Those 200 grain bullets are designed for the correct speed and if you work at it a bit, you should be able to come up with paper to get the right bore size. Buffalo has onionskin available the might be just the ticket.
Too nice a hunting caliber not to hunt with.
Good Luck
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the paper patch tip. I've thought of that as a solution since there are lots of .35 cal bullets lately with the renewed interest in the 35 Whelen and others.

I'll check on Buffalo Arms. Forgot about them.

Thanks.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a factory duplication load available?

The load I use that usually shoots to POI in 9.2x72R Drillings is the 193 gr. RWS (.364") Flat Point, 29.5 grs. SR-4759, WLRP, crimped into the cannelure.

The S&B bullets are pretty inexpensive in comparison to the RWS bullets, soft but .366". They will work also.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S&B doesn't export their bullets to the USA. I wish they did, but it might cut into their ammo sales, perhaps the reason they don't.

We Americans are big re-loaders. We get a bit of brass and don't buy factory ammo again. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is their selection. Last time I ordered via e-mail from them.

http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm