New
Find
Notify
Tools

What We Are Fighting
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66687 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...Nature Nazis at their best/worst!

Posts: 340 | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's important to know that we are all fighting the same thing.

Whatever it takes, the people opposing us will do it. Maybe in Europe, the animal rights crowd has to characterize hunting as a highbrow sport. Not something the common man would engage in.

Maybe in the US, they have to paint hunting as a lowbrow sport. Not something the thinking man would engage in.

Not to delve too deeply into politics, but isn't this one area we ought to find common ground? I don't care what you call her, the Snow Bunny, the Tundra Queen, what have you. But one reason I won't look down on Sarah Palin is that she hunts.

If Michelle Obama hunted, I would make no more of an issue about that than the fact she drives a car. You will look long and hard before you find me beefing about Michelle Obama having a driver's license than it'll take you for you to discover the New York Times editorial board has some sort of problem with Sarah Palin having a hunting license.

I don't want to be inappropriate. But something did occur to me as I was growing up. There are a large number of people with a vested interest in making hunting look as impractical as possible. What could amount to free meat, or at least cheap meat for the price of a bullet? Let's tack on a bunch of license fees, so PETA can talk about how impractical the whole arrangement is. Much cheaper to buy.

I could actually live off the animals I hunt. Just like the Tundra Queen. If the prices weren't artificially inflated. So the animal rights crowd couldn't turn around and lecture the rest of the world about how expensive hunting is.

What this has to do with lion hunting, I don't know. I wish I had the kind of disposable income to hunt lions. Real African lions. Maybe someday. But in the meantime, I'll keep up the good fight.

Maybe if there were more of them, they wouldn't be so expensive.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The Petition also demonstrates how Americans engaging in unsustainable trophy
hunting" Roll Eyes
I wonder who has more Lion, Kenya with its non hunting or Tanzania with controlled hunting?? bewildered

"Loss of habitat and corresponding loss of prey are serious threats to the survival of the
African lion (Ray et al., 2005). These threats are principally driven by human activity, including
conversion of lion habitat for agriculture and grazing as well as human settlement (Ray et al.,
2005). Human population growth has been specifically identified as the ""root"" cause of many
problems associated with the conservation of lions because of increasing human settlement in
lion habitat and associated agriculture and livestock production (IUCN, 2006a). It is therefore of
concern that the human population of sub-Saharan Africa, which was 518 million in 1990, is
predicted to rise to 1.75 billion people by 2050".

And how does sport hunting within a "hunting subsidised" Game Reserve have anything (negative )to do with this?
Particularly when major Game Reserves are publicly promoting Sport hunting as a useful conservation tool.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't really think anti-hunters are so much of a threat. Except maybe for picking media fights. They get the occasional victory, other than that I "believe" they are mostly a nuisance.

A handful of poachers will do more damage than all the anti-hunters in the world combined.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never underestimate the enemy.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't underestimate this.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
I don't really think anti-hunters are so much of a threat. Except maybe for picking media fights. They get the occasional victory, other than that I "believe" they are mostly a nuisance.

A handful of poachers will do more damage than all the anti-hunters in the world combined.

Those occasional victories add up.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by China Fleet Sailor:
I don't care what you call her, the Snow Bunny, the Tundra Queen, what have you. But one reason I won't look down on Sarah Palin is that she hunts.
----------------------------------------
I could actually live off the animals I hunt. Just like the Tundra Queen.

If you believe that Sarah Palin is a hunter then I don't know what to say....

That is the problem with American politics: it is all smoke and mirrors(also known as bullshit).

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
frank4570, You start a good point in motion for all of us. Sure, the anti-hunters are worrysome, but poachers and our own PR should be our priority, imo.

Maybe we should think like business people.

Lets say that:
1. The Anti-hunters are the competition. We don't knock them down, we simply out perform them.
2. Our product and supply line is Mother Nature, the habitat and birds,fish and animals fostered by stewardship, conservation and anti-poaching programs.
3. Our behavior and publicity/education is our marketing strategy.

If we were on top of these three elements we would be in a good place for the future. All of us have a part in this including the shooting and hunting industries.

Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post