THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Conservation  Hop To Forums  African Lions Hunting Management And Ecology    Anybody have any info on this new conference by LionAid
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Aaron Neilson, ledvm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have any info on this new conference by LionAid
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
"for gaining the funding to host a conference to put in place much greater protections"

Pretty clear that they have already reached a conclusion. Think they are inviting Paula White or any other field researcher?

http://www.lionaid.org/campaig...of-african-lions.htm

PRESS RELEASE

LionAid, a leading UK charity dedicated to the conservation of lions, has been working very successfully over the past year with members of the UK and EU Parliaments to address the major issues that caused, and continue to cause, the catastrophic declines in lion populations. In the 1960’s, there were over 200,000 lions in Africa but sadly we are now down to less than 25,000, a decline of close to 90% in just 50 years.

We accept that loss of habitat and lion/human/livestock conflict issues have had a considerably negative effect on lion populations in the past. However, we now consider that lion trophy hunting is a hugely significant additive source of mortality that needs much more stringent regulation. We also recognize that disease issues continue to affect lions, especially as many of these diseases emanate from domestic animals.

As a component of our overall lion conservation plans, a conference has been scheduled among a number of African lion range states to solicit opinions for a proposal to uplist lions from CITES Appendix II to CITES Appendix I at the upcoming Conference of Parties in Thailand in 2013. This uplisting would not prevent lion trophy hunting, but could lead to better conservation measures for a species that, despite substantial declines in population numbers and geographic range, is still subject to significant trade in some regions. In addition, the conference will establish latest estimated population numbers in the represented range states, progress of National Lion Conservation Plans, and measures taken by range states that allow lion trophy hunting to ensure such trade is not affecting conservation status.

We are delighted to announce that Defra have provided LionAid with grant funding to facilitate the conference.

The conference will be held in Nairobi at the end of March 2012 and we are inviting delegates from Senegal, Cameroon, Nigeria, Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Zambia, Malawi, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia and of course Kenya as the host nation.

This conference will enable forward-thinking range states to evaluate considered conservation programmes for African lions to better ensure their future survival. The continued decline in lions must be halted, and a forthright discussion of how to implement new ways forward is urgent and necessary.

Fiona O’Donnell, Shadow Minister for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said:
“I would like to congratulate LionAid for their work in highlighting the devastating impact of trophy hunting on Lion populations and for gaining the funding to host a conference to put in place much greater protections.
“This is a real opportunity for African Lion range states to work together to ensure the long-term survival of Lions and clamp-down on the abhorrent trade in Lion trophies.”

For more information, please contact us by email (info@lionaid.org). Click on the link for Donations

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Another bunch of ignorant nitwits who are living a good life from the donations of the poor masses!

Their main aim is to stop hunting, starting with lion hunting.

Remember Jolouburn?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66725 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Another bunch of ignorant nitwits who are living a good life from the donations of the poor masses!

Their main aim is to stop hunting, starting with lion hunting.

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36411 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I agree.

However this group (Lionaid) has demontrated some effectiveness in influencing British politicians so they should be take seriously.

They are scheduling a conference and obviously have a predetermined result. This isn't something about science but rather what can they do/influence in the near term to achieve there goals.

They want to stop lion hunting. And they may very well succeed in making the import of lion trophies to Britain (and maybe the EU) very difficult. In effect a defacto hunting ban.

They will wave this conference around as if it were Moses himself with the 10 commandment. And being publicly funded and the input or participation of those range states and they will influence the uneducated that they are the scientific concensus.

The actual damage to the lions habitat is irrelevant. The opinions of scientists in the field is irrelevant. The lions survival is not relevant. They have convinced themselves that they are singularly correct, and have no plan B if things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

I am afraid that you may be right but what is more concerning is that it seems that the hunting fraternity doesn't realize how serious the situation is. If they manage to shut down lion hunting it will be the end of vast areas of African wilderness. But, as we all know,there is no reasoning with these zealots.

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zig Mackintosh:
John,

I am afraid that you may be right but what is more concerning is that it seems that the hunting fraternity doesn't realize how serious the situation is. If they manage to shut down lion hunting it will be the end of vast areas of African wilderness. But, as we all know,there is no reasoning with these zealots.

Zig,
You are quite correct...hence the formation of the LCTF and the formation of this forum.

We don't hear much from LionAid stateside except on the net...I suppose this is the Euro counterpart to HSUS???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36411 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Far smaller then HSUS.

LionAid is essentially two guys using social media and a Phd to it's greatest advantage.

LCTF and some of the real researchers should either attend the conference or ask the British authorities why they are paying for duplicative efforts. And maybe a little education for the politicians that they are influencing on the status of lion conservation worldwide would be in order.

If they hear no other voices...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

You are absolutely right, LCTF should attend the conference, Lane are you in? Joluburn, we know that you are monitoring this forum, how about an invitation??

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zig Mackintosh:
John,

You are absolutely right, LCTF should attend the conference, Lane are you in? Joluburn, we know that you are monitoring this forum, how about an invitation??

John & Zig,

The LCTF was formed to 1) advocate for the lion, 2) advocate for the continuation of "proper" lion hunting, & 3) fight the petition filed with USF&W by HSUS to uplist the lion in the ESA.

While we definitely want to help fight LionAid in Europe...not sure we have the resources to do so at this moment.

Recently at SCI...a new alliance was formed with John Banovich (the artist/conservationist). I think he would be the most effective liason for us in that environment.

If we can get invited and get the specifics on dates, location, and agenda...I may be able to get him to attend in our behalf.

Aaron...what do you think?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

As I see it the main drive behind the conference is to try and convince one of the lion range states, eg Kenya, to put forward a proposal to list the lion on CITES Appendix I, which will have much the same effect as a listing on the US endangered species list. I don't know how much convincing Kenya needs but I do know that last time they tried it, they were given a bloody nose and had to withdraw the proposal before it went before CITES. I think Lionaid over-estimates it's own importance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how effective it would be to show up. In fact it may actually help there credibility if you did. Rather it may make more sense to have some educational materials about the state of lion conservation delivered to the EU and British politicians that are sympathetic to there cause.

At least they will be informed as they legislate the end of wild lions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need a european liason for the LCTF...anybody got any suggestions?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Zig,

I do indeed pop in from time to time to catch up with what is happening.

I cannot give you an invitation to this conference, for that you would have to go direct to Lion Aid.

The following is a generic comment.

I do however think you ar trying to sail your ship far to late. I have been warning / telling you for several month now to get your message out there but none of you listened.

Posts: 509 | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jolouburn:
Hi Zig,

I do indeed pop in from time to time to catch up with what is happening.

I cannot give you an invitation to this conference, for that you would have to go direct to Lion Aid.

The following is a generic comment.

I do however think you ar trying to sail your ship far to late. I have been warning / telling you for several month now to get your message out there but none of you listened.

If you believe we have a valid point...why don't you advocate for hunting as a good conservation tool.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A letter to Defra requesting an explanation on why they are funding such duplicative efforts may be interesting.