New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bubye Conservancy Lion Research
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We hunted the Bubye last summer & met a nice young Zim chap who's researching lions there. He's a PhD candidate @ Oxford, a literal "Rhodes" Scholar. He's darted & collared quite a few lions. I gave him my foxpro caller . His buddy, also a Zim local from Oxford, is doing leopard research there. I expected info. about him on this forum but search produced zip. If anyone wants to contact him, John Sharp can provide info.

Posts: 925 | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was his name sir?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36411 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul Trethowan. He's a genuine,dedicated guy. John Sharp can, at times, arrange for hunters to accompany Paul on tagging/collaring forays. Sorry I do not have exact contact info, but John could put you in touch with him (as could Blondie, the fellow who oversees operations at the Bubye)

Posts: 925 | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you click on this link you will see a movie that we made about the Bubye Valley Conservancy and the research that is being undertaken by Paul Thethowan. It forms part of the movie "Fate of the African Lion" that we submitted to the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

http://www.hunterproud.com/wp-.../Bubye-Valley-11.mov

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zig,
Do you have an e-mail address for Paul?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36411 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
Paul Trethowan. He's a genuine,dedicated guy. John Sharp can, at times, arrange for hunters to accompany Paul on tagging/collaring forays. Sorry I do not have exact contact info, but John could put you in touch with him (as could Blondie, the fellow who oversees operations at the Bubye)

Thank you for the 'heads-up' joester...the LCTF has made contact with Paul and are looking at a collaborative effort.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zig Mackintosh:
If you click on this link you will see a movie that we made about the Bubye Valley Conservancy and the research that is being undertaken by Paul Thethowan. It forms part of the movie "Fate of the African Lion" that we submitted to the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Thank you as well Zig.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need to distribute this film world wide ASAP. AIU

Posts: 3720 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great informative movie, well worth the half hour to watch!

Would love to see it show on one of the more "mainstream" channels.

Posts: 518 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is excellent. I just sent it to neighbor parents whose daughter is a student at Duke University and hopes to be a wildlife veterinarian. Also sent it to our son who is a wildlife scientist. I hope these young people will spread the word among their learned colleagues. I recall every professor but one where our son got his masters degree was a hunter. Ther is a big difference between preservation and conservation.

Posts: 163 | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zig Mackintosh:

Zig Mackintosh, Thank you and all concerned for flagging up this Video. I intend to show it to friends (some of them hunters)who have not made the link between hunting and conservation in Africa. Excellent Video(tool)jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post