THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Conservation  Hop To Forums  African Lions Hunting Management And Ecology    Uplisting of the African Lion as an endangered species...it has NOT gone away!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Aaron Neilson, ledvm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uplisting of the African Lion as an endangered species...it has NOT gone away!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Lane,
With all due respect to CP, what exactly does he say IS NOT transparent with the TZ lion aging process? Is it the fact that HE is not part of the assessment?

From what I know, IGF - who are the appointed age assessors on behalf of the Wildlife Division in TZ - are transparent and professional. Their results for 2011 have been submitted to the Director of Wildlife ages ago. CP wanted access to them which was denied. I don't see anyhting wrong with that? In his comments to the ESA he moans about being targeted by the "corrupt hunting fraternity"? No wonder with the public statements he makes against hunting!

If he is willing to support the ESA listing to simply "prove a point" that he can, then I question his sincerity in doing what's right for the lion.

Lane - And that there is the WHOLE POINT in a nutshell.

Craig "claims" non-transperancy, but simply because he's left out of the process - and you and I both know exactly why. He's irrational, he says "A" today, and "B" tomorrow. We both know how sensitive the "African" culture is, and trying to bully those in power will get you nowhere!

We both talked about this two nights ago, and it seems Packer is willing to "bite his nose, to spite his face". If proving he has more power than the TZ govt, or proving he can shout loudest from the mountain top, is more important than the "Wild Lion" itself, then I guess he wins!!!!!

Aaron,
I for one am not willing to accept that until it is a done deal...ie: the lion is listed.

It is not now.

Case in point...the key to winning the USFW is going through Craig...like him or not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36546 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad, Michel & Others - Look guys, Lane is right!!! Despite the fact that I am frustrated at the moment, Craig packer is the "Key" to the whole thing, period!

The USFWS do listen, and will listen to Craig, period! Lane is simply trying to be the voice of reason, and thankfully someone is.

Brad, trust me on this one - what Lane is saying is right, despite whether its how you/I and other "feel" about the situation at the moment.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CP seems willing to just take his ball and go home if things don't go his way. How professional! It also seems he is willing to effectively blackmail people in Africa by playing both sides against one another to get what HE wants....."Give me more access or I will now push for a re-listing and hurt your revenue". Those of us who live in and experience "real" Africa daily have a pretty good idea how the local officials usually respond to this sort of thing. CP is playing with fire and lions will suffer. Me? Sad to say that i will be the guy hunting much cheaper lions in five years and exporting them to Canada.

Posts: 2472 | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packer did not submit the petition and has told me directly that he does not support a ban on lion hunting. That doesn't mean that he believes it should continue business as usual either.

The people that submitted this application are as follows; International Fund for Animal Welfare, the Humane Society of the United States, Humane Society International, the Born Free Foundation/Born Free USA, Defenders of Wildlife, and the Fund for Animals

These are all primarily anti-hunting organizations and only Born Free has any previous involvement with lions on any significant level. In fact only two have any international experience at all. My experience has been that "anti-hunters" don't really give a rats ass about the continued success of a species... they just truly do not want people shooting them for fun. Except for Born Free these organizations will provide zero funding for any wildlife conservation in Africa (or for the most part anywhere else). And for real world dollars (or Euros in this case) of Born Free's 3.5million euro budget they spend 500k on big cats. All big cats around the world, not just Panthera Leo. Someone help me here but I believe that would be about 10 hunting safaris.

"Trophy hunters kill animals for the purpose of obtaining a "prize"—from horns, to tusks, to the whole animal, stuffed—to take home and hang on a wall or pose in a living room. Despite its cruelty and harm to wildlife populations, many countries permit trophy hunting. Few monitor the activity accurately enough to understand its impact.

HSI is working to demonstrate to policy-makers the damage caused by trophy hunting and to encourage economic alternatives, such as ecotourism, which can employ more people and bring in more income without such a high cost to animals."

IMHO this really is it. The hunting industry had better take this seriously if we want to continue hunting lions. You know you can hunt cheetah and polar bear still right? You just can't bring back the trophy to the US either.

And anyone with a pragmatic view towards wild lion conservation needs to get involved. Because once this passes it will not be a simple thing to undo. And if it ever was the damage to lion populations and habitat will already be done.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
Packer did not submit the petition and has told me directly that he does not support a ban on lion hunting. That doesn't mean that he believes it should continue business as usual either.

The people that submitted this application are as follows; International Fund for Animal Welfare, the Humane Society of the United States, Humane Society International, the Born Free Foundation/Born Free USA, Defenders of Wildlife, and the Fund for Animals

These are all primarily anti-hunting organizations and only Born Free has any previous involvement with lions on any significant level. In fact only two have any international experience at all. My experience has been that "anti-hunters" don't really give a rats ass about the continued success of a species... they just truly do not want people shooting them for fun. Except for Born Free these organizations will provide zero funding for any wildlife conservation in Africa (or for the most part anywhere else). And for real world dollars (or Euros in this case) of Born Free's 3.5million euro budget they spend 500k on big cats. All big cats around the world, not just Panthera Leo. Someone help me here but I believe that would be about 10 hunting safaris.

"Trophy hunters kill animals for the purpose of obtaining a "prize"—from horns, to tusks, to the whole animal, stuffed—to take home and hang on a wall or pose in a living room. Despite its cruelty and harm to wildlife populations, many countries permit trophy hunting. Few monitor the activity accurately enough to understand its impact.

HSI is working to demonstrate to policy-makers the damage caused by trophy hunting and to encourage economic alternatives, such as ecotourism, which can employ more people and bring in more income without such a high cost to animals."

IMHO this really is it. The hunting industry had better take this seriously if we want to continue hunting lions. You know you can hunt cheetah and polar bear still right? You just can't bring back the trophy to the US either.

And anyone with a pragmatic view towards wild lion conservation needs to get involved. Because once this passes it will not be a simple thing to undo. And if it ever was the damage to lion populations and habitat will already be done.

My thoughts exactly John and I can corroborate your statements on CP as well.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36546 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to defend him or promote him. But I have found Craig Packer a pretty easy guy to communicate with. I have emailed him a few times over the years regarding lion conservation and he has always responded. Often with long thoughtful emails and supporting documents. More depth then you might typically expect from someone receiving an email out of the blue.

You may not like him, agree with him, or what not. But you can't say he isn't willing to communicate and discuss the issues frankly.

John

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
Not to defend him or promote him. But I have found Craig Packer a pretty easy guy to communicate with. I have emailed him a few times over the years regarding lion conservation and he has always responded. Often with long thoughtful emails and supporting documents. More depth then you might typically expect from someone receiving an email out of the blue.

You may not like him, agree with him, or what not. But you can't say he isn't willing to communicate and discuss the issues frankly.

John

John - My friend, communicating has never been Craig's problem.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You say he has no trouble communicating, my question is, kis he communicating with an open mind or is he firmly set in his opinion on the matter? A close minded person can be a great communicator, but communication does little good if they have locked themself in to a solution to the issue.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed kindly pasted the 'Definition of the Huntable Male Lion' at the top of this page for me.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The amount of social media being used here and the amount of time being spent on liberal TV by Born Free with reporters is BIG. Here we go again. The uninformed public got the BS story from the Dems to re elact Osamma with them. Born Free is pushing this HARD and FAST. They know how to use the people and use the propoganda machine, the media, social, print and video. Personally don't think I'll be having to put LION on my price list for next year. Sad days. It's not so much a numbers game. It's Biorn Free starting a social outcry with misinformation that will end it. You can't fight a mob.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listing document

http://www.regulations.gov/#!d...R9-ES-2012-0025-0001

Please post your comments. Born free has a social media campaign to the public to post...

http://www.regulations.gov/#!s...R9-ES-2012-0025-0001

Pass it around serioualy.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Artistry of Wildlife:
The amount of social media being used here and the amount of time being spent on liberal TV by Born Free with reporters is BIG. Here we go again. The uninformed public got the BS story from the Dems to re elact Osamma with them. Born Free is pushing this HARD and FAST. They know how to use the people and use the propoganda machine, the media, social, print and video. Personally don't think I'll be having to put LION on my price list for next year. Sad days. It's not so much a numbers game. It's Biorn Free starting a social outcry with misinformation that will end it. You can't fight a mob.

It ain't over 'til it's over guys!!! And...the LCTF still has an Ace (or maybe a Jack in this case but still a good card) in the hole.

If you really want to do something that will help...everybody that is a member of SCI or DSC...call and ask them to adopt the "Definition of a Huntable Male Lion" pasted at the top of this forum.

Both orgs have it on their desk and are pondering it. It's adoption by those 2 orgs...would go along way in getting us some positive lobbying going with the USF&W.

J. Lane Easter, DVM