THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Conservation  Hop To Forums  African Lions Hunting Management And Ecology    Uplisting of the African Lion as an endangered species...it has NOT gone away!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Aaron Neilson, ledvm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uplisting of the African Lion as an endangered species...it has NOT gone away!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:57:09 -0500
Subject: Publication of a 90-day finding on a petition to list the African lion as endangered under the ESA

I am writing to inform you that today, November 27, 2012, we, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), announce a 90-day finding on a petition to list the African lion (*Panthera leo leo*) as endangered under the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended (Act). Based on our review, we find that the petition presents substantial scientific or commercial information indicating that listing this subspecies may be warranted.
Therefore, with the publication of this notice, we are initiating a review of the status of the subspecies to determine if listing the African lion as endangered is warranted. To ensure that this status review is comprehensive, we are requesting scientific and commercial data and other information regarding this subspecies. Based on the status review, we will issue a 12-month finding on the petition, which will address whether the petitioned action is warranted, as provided in section 4(b)(3)(B) of the Act. Please visit www.regulations.gov, *Docket No. FWS-R9-ES-2012-0025 to view the 90-day finding, or **
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/F...l/2012-28310.htm**.*

Under the Act, a species may be determined to be an endangered or threatened species due to one or more of the following five factors: (a) the present or threatened destruction, modification, or curtailment of the species habitat or range; (b) overutilization for commercial, recreational, scientific, or educational purposes; (c) disease or predation; (d) the inadequacy of existing regulatory mechanisms, and (e) other natural or manmade factors affecting the continued existence of the species.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me at Amy_Brisendine@fws.gov.

--

Amy Brisendine, Biologist
Branch of Foreign Species
Endangered Species Program
U.S. Fish and Wildilfe Service
Arlington, VA 22203
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/...-activities.html>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36410 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Lane - in layman's terms - what does this mean as far as hunting lions for the next 6 months, 1 year, etc.?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, please explain if you can, as I have a lioness hunt in the Bubye Conservancy scheduled for 2014.

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, I certainly don't want to sound self centered as the overriding issue is of great concern to all of us. However, I do have a lion trophy being prepared for import and don't want to be caught up in the same fiasco as the polar bear hunters. I take it, I should get that lion through to the US ASAP!

Posts: 8483 | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all the more reason to stick together , hunt ethically , keep great records and have facts about the populations and viability of the rescource when we need it , PHs need to come together on this and get trail cams and acurate reports so that an accurate response can be prepared for their areas over the next year ...just saying "there are lots" wont cut it .it needs to be backed up with good solid numbers -

thats just my feeling on it ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, what can a "John Doe" like me do to help?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Ivan mentions, the hunting community must help provide all the info they can - it is important!

First it will be the lion, next will be the leopard, then the elephant, and go on down the list. Shameful, but not surprising. Sadly, the biggest loser would be the LION, should the up-listing come to pass!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I first predicted the end of Lion hunting approximately 12 years ago. It's taken a bit longer than I anticipated, nevertheless this is now where we find ourselves. No joy, to be sure. Frowner

And I agree completely with my friend Aaron Neilson; this is only the beginning. Just look at what's now happening in Botswana and Zambia.

Todd - I would counsel you to get that Lion home ASAP. There is no reason to believe the USF&W will be any more accommodating to African Lion than they have been with legally taken Polar Bear trophies. Pay extra to get it to the front of the line, if necessary.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane

if there is a get-together and discussion at DSC count me in.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, what can be done to prevent this?

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Packer weighed in heavily for this. His frustration with Lion Hunting outfits was palpable. Too bad as he might win this and lose the remaining habitat (and the lion).

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what it means right now. Aaron and I knew we had a window of time to try and prevent...however it was an up-hill battle for us trying to drag everyone along kicking and screaming.

Unfortunately...we still do not have a lot of good to show for ourselves. Tanzania did not make a good showing with the new law and many young dead lions showed up on the internet again.

Had we had a better 2012...things might be different.

I think a get together at DSC would be good...but we had one last year at SCI and nothing ended up really getting done.

Ivan's comments are spot on. We as hunters must begin to ONLY shoot the right lion (if we even get to keep the privilege) and we must implement seriuous conservation efforts.

I have been so busy with work this last 6 months...I have not really kept up. As I know more...I will post.

I am sure...the LCTF will try and submit a response by the January 28, 2013 deadline.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36410 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad situation indeed. Even though I have never had a desire to hunt an African Lion, I think those that do should not be robbed of that opportunity.

I think none of this comes as a real suprise to those that have been working the hardest to keep it from happening, and the addest part i, as many of those folks have stated, this listing will be the act that will bring about the extinction of the lion in Africa. As someone else stated, this opens the door to bring about the end of hunting for rhino/elephant/leopard and so on down the line.

Lane, Arron and all of you that have put forth the effort to bring about common sense management for the Lion and prevent it extinction, you have fought the good fight and the hunting world owes you much Thanks for your efforts, maybe someone in power will open their eyes and ears before it is too late to the voices of reason, and not enact the legislation that will bring about the total loss of a magnificent species.

My hat is off to all of you that have worked so hard to save the lion.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

The timing of this is also not amusing.

So, Lane, you were saying how Dr. Packer was one of our friends? With friends like him, who needs enemies? Heck, the regulatory changes have not even been in effect long enough to determine what they have done over 1 year yet.

I will be giving some $$$ to Conservation Force to hopefully stop this nonsense.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post