Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.zimparks.org/images...0Zimbabwe%202014.pdf

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You beat me to it! tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
good on them!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am assuming Zimbabwe parks pays to administer this system? If so, is passed through to hunters via increased trophy fees, if so, how much? Is their a separate "fee" for this administration if you shoot a lion? If so, how much? I would be interested to hear from some of the Zim PH's about what they think about the credibility and integrity of Zim Parks administering such a plan?

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know as much as I know as of now. I will post anything I get as soon as I see or hear of it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:11 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Fwd: IMPORTANT Lion trophy age restriction 2014-15

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Subject: IMPORTANT Lion trophy age restriction 2014-15
To: Sally <soaz@****.**.**>

PLEASE PRINT AND KEEP ON FILE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

Those members who attended the SOAZ or the ZPHGA AGHM will recall what this
was all about.

Those members who did not should discuss the matter with those who were
there.

Your lion quota next year will depend on how well you keep to the
restrictions this year.

Yrs
Sally Bown
Admin. officer

-----Original Message-----
From: Rose Mandisodza-Chikerema [mailto:mandisodzar@******.***]
Sent: 24 January, 2014 15:40
To: soaz; louis@*******.***
Cc: gmatipano; omufute; rmandisodza; Paul Funston; Peter Lindsey; hamuzofi
nyaguse; tchipere@zimparks.**.**
Subject: Lion trophy age restriction 2014-15

Dear SOAZ and ZPHGA,

The ZPWMA approved the lion trophy age restriction late 2013. All the lions
that will be hunted during the 2014 hunting season will be aged at the end
of the hunting season and the results used to determine lion quotas for the
2015 hunting season. Please find two documents attached to this email for
your information. You will be advised of the aging sessions in due course.

Wish you the best in the 2014 hunting season.

Kind regards
--
*Mrs Mandisodza-Chikerema R. L
"If you wait for perfect conditions, you'll never get anything done!"
(Ecclesiastes 11:4).

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for Zimbabwe!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there any information about the ages of lions taken in Zim during the past three years? Nice to know to see if any changes are occuring with the new system.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the area. The Bubye has state of the art lion science going on with Paul Trethowan at the helm. The Save too has some data and some on going science.

The parks in Zim are also fairly well researched with data on their lions.

In the government owned concessions...little "good" data has been kept...albeit...some outfitters do consult some local scientists as to ages of there trophies.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I note they intend to age using photos only..... Confused

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:

Well I missed that? If so, that'll be a cluster!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by Bwanamich:

Where Do you "note" that from?
quote:
Lions would be aged by triangulating multiple different aging characteristics, including: the degree of facial scarring; the teeth colour and degree of wear; the mane development
(particularly regarding the shape around the ear and the mohawk); and through post mortem analysis of the width of the pulp cavity of the second premolar (which becomes narrower with age).

quote:
Export permits for trophies will not be issued unless completed hunt return forms (all of the required photographs and the first upper premolar is provided to ZPWMA for aging and monitoring purposes). Furthermore, because the following year’s quotas will be based on the ages of the lions hunted in the current year, operators must submit their lion hunt returns and photographs soon after the hunt. At the end of the season, all of the teeth would be taken to a dentist to have x-rays conducted to allow for measurement of the size of the pulp cavity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:

Agreed! I did not realize that either...will have to go back and re-read as well.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
preserved for posterity.....
quote:
originally quoted by Bwanamich:
I note they intend to age using photos only.... Confused

quote:
originally quoted by Aaron Nielson:\

quote:
originally quoted by ledvm:
Agreed! I did not realize that either...will have to go back and re-read as well.

"re-read"? Did any of our 3 resident lion saviors read the entire link to begin with? Or are y'all just in the business of trying to stir people up and downplay the efforts of others? Just sayin..... Roll Eyes