New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania, Craig Packer, Lion Research, & USF&W
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am writing this to make anyone concerned about lion, the potential ESA listing in the US, and hunting in Tanzania, aware that the Tanzania Government is considering not renewing Craig Packer's research grant at the Serengeti Lion Project.

Why this is bad:

1) USF&W likes Craig and his research and his genuine care for the well being of the wild lion. They will see it as a further reason to potentially list the lion as endangered in the USA under the Endangered Species Act...AND...potentially curtail lion imports from TZ.

2) Craig has been a constant voice to say that HUNTING DOES have a valid and rightful place in the management of the wild lion and its habitat. He (CP) is a powerful tool to use against the anti's.

3) Craig has accounted for a good portion of the knowledge we have today in how to manage the off-take of wild lion. Blocks like Kigosi Reserve that used his methods thrived (anyone remember this report: Lions in Kigosi hint: it was NOT under ACST management when those lion populations were built).

4) Some hunting companies in TZ (which I can name but won't in public) have lobbied for the removal of CP in TZ. If hunting companies helped remove him from his LIFE'S WORK...don't you think he might be a little bitter against hunting in the future.

Anyway...FWIW...that is the status.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36392 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, with regard to #4, why not consider naming them publicly? If they lobby the Tanz gov't to remove CP, and lions are ultimately listed and Americans can no longer import them, then these companies have contributed to the demise of lion hunting across all of Africa. At that point, I'd certainly be disappointed in you if you chose to stay silent about those companies.

I believe they should be named now, and hunters can either put pressure on them, or it may help some of us in deciding who we should hunt with, and who to avoid. Actions have consequences, and this action by some companies should have a negative consequence toward them.

Posts: 3829 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane, with regard to #4, why not consider naming them publicly? If they lobby the Tanz gov't to remove CP, and lions are ultimately listed and Americans can no longer import them, then these companies have contributed to the demise of lion hunting across all of Africa.

You hit the nail on the head there DLS and the reason for my post...a person who actually gets it!

I am afraid of legal ramifications and actions towards me when I go to TZ if I named them publically. They have significant political power. I will just leave it as above for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36392 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is what a second "anonymous" account is used for.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post