New
Find
Notify
Tools

Young/Immature Lions!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Keep shootin em, and we're gonna lose em! It's just that simple, and not much more can be said about it.

My goal is to eliminate the shooting of young lions, and work towards the education of us all. The hunting community, and the PH community must adhere to more stringent lion management practices, as we have discussed numerous times here now.

Mike - If ignoring this huge conservation necessity as it pertains to the lion, and instead, insist that I am simply trying to be offensive, makes you feel better, then carry on! Instead, how about this. Why don't we ALL as a collective unit, work together to accomplish a conservation goal that would be the first of its kind in the African hunting world? Along the way, maybe we can do some good for the rest of the African Wildlife too!

On the other hand, if you can explain to me the conservation benefits that I am missing, that are to be gained from the shooting of young/immature lions, I'm all ears?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after all of this discussion it seems like everyone should read what the science says. these guys will testify for or against us and thats who will be heard. they have put it in black and white and made it clear if we(hunters) keep shooting young lions they will have no choice but to testify against us.Its just that simple.I am not sure why hunters are not getting on the band wagon and pitching in.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I don't blame the PH mostly because of hard economic times.The same for the hunter in that his resources may be limited and it's his first time and goes until the last days and sees just this somewhat young lion.If the hunter has all kinds of money then I feel it is an esier task of letting a younger one go.I am not sure about the future of the lion hunting being jeopardized by shooting a young one,could be just don't know enough.I am pretty sure that no one wants to shoot a young male.If the safari companies close down because of lack of business then you can bet no one will be hunting lions aside from the poachers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I don't blame the PH mostly because of hard economic times.The same for the hunter in that his resources may be limited and it's his first time and goes until the last days and sees just this somewhat young lion.If the hunter has all kinds of money then I feel it is an esier task of letting a younger one go.I am not sure about the future of the lion hunting being jeopardized by shooting a young one,could be just don't know enough.I am pretty sure that no one wants to shoot a young male.If the safari companies close down because of lack of business then you can bet no one will be hunting lions aside from the poachers.

Shootaway - I'm not totally sure what you're saying here? I know the financial burden on the PH/outfitter can sometimes be a factor, but they cannot let that factor dictate good management practices. In the long-run that's just cutting their own throats.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are probably right,Aaron.Lions should be chosen the same way we choose a hard boss buffalo but i don't think it should be witten as a law.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are probably right,Aaron.Lions should be chosen the same way we choose a hard boss buffalo.

thumb Smiler thumb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are probably right,Aaron.Lions should be chosen the same way we choose a hard boss buffalo but i don't think it should be witten as a law.

Shootaway - You sir hit the nail on the head! I don't "think or want" it written as law either. However, it has come to that in Tanzania, and will likely come to that elsewhere, for one simple reason. Many still involved in the African Hunting community have proved unable to regulate themselves (ie - recent lions shot in Zim). So instead, others continue to pressure African govts to implement new laws, at the same time, they are pressuring CITES to uplist the lion, and the ESA to uplist lion as well.

I have said this many times now, and its not gonna change. Until we start regulating proper lion hunting/management practices ourselves, others are gonna try and do it for us. That to me is extremely unfortunate, but its also factual!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
A very good point.There is nothing better than the feeling I get when I take a good trophy-not only in terms of being able to show it off but knowing that I've done my part in conservation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A very good point.There is nothing better than the feeling I get when I take a good trophy-not only in terms of being able to show it off but knowing that I've done my part in conservation.

Yes sir, I just hope more folks will start to follow your example!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

Shootaway - You sir hit the nail on the head! I don't "think or want" it written as law either. However, it has come to that in Tanzania, and will likely come to that elsewhere, for one simple reason. Many still involved in the African Hunting community have proved unable to regulate themselves (ie - recent lions shot in Zim). So instead, others continue to pressure African govts to implement new laws, at the same time, they are pressuring CITES to uplist the lion, and the ESA to uplist lion as well.

I have said this many times now, and its not gonna change. Until we start regulating proper lion hunting/management practices ourselves, others are gonna try and do it for us. That to me is extremely unfortunate, but its also factual!

Aaron,

It may take more restrictive lion harvest laws to satisfy CITES and the USF&WS that sufficient laws exist to assure that lion survival rates remain high enough to prevent Cites listing..

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post