Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Skull Size vs. Lion Age!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fact is, quotas are the CONTROL, a control that we and the "experienced" scientific community are actually AGAINST! If everyone in the industry is, was and would have been shooting ONLY older/mature lions, the need for quotas would be un-necessary. A fact that we the LCTF and the entire scientific community agree on. So I ask you, who really is in favor of "controlling the hunter"?

Now we are getting to the root of MY issue. I completely and totally agree with the above statement. However, I do not understand how we could ever have the above "no quota" system as long as there is the money involved that is involved. I also am not convinced that an "honor system" that allows outfitters/hunters to shoot every 6+yr old lion it wants is sustainable.
First, a question (for reference only), who (or what) is Bwanamich? A PH, operator, conciencous observer?
Now, let's start with what was said in the report posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
Female population size was highly sensitive to any quota
taking >2 males/year when the harvest included lions
as young as 3 years old (Fig. 1a). Irrespective of quota
size, harvesting males at least 5 years old had a negligible
effect on population viability. Placing age restrictions on
lions shot increased the total number of males harvested
after 30 years and increased the number of 5- and 6- year
old trophies in the population by protecting young males
(Fig. 1b & c).
Harvesting older males did not reduce the population’s
capacity to maintain a viable breeding population even
when the populationwas initially depleted by an environmental
perturbation, whereas shooting younger males significantly
affected the outcome. Female population size
after 30 years of harvesting differed very little between a
population that was initially at equilibrium and one that
was recovering from a perturbation event (Fig. 1a & 2).
Restricting the harvest to older age classes permitted
the initially depleted populations to recover to levels comparable
to stable populations within 15–25 years. Growth
in female population sizewas resilient to harvesting when
annual quota size was both moderate (4 males; Fig. 3)
and high (8 males; Fig. 4). Although unhunted, recovering
populations maintained a larger number of females
through time in comparison with recovering hunted populations,
they grewin a similar trajectory when only males
≥5 or ≥6 yearswere targeted. Quota sizewas only important
when immature males (≤4 years)were taken. Extinction
occurred at least once per 100 runs when quota size
exceeded more than two ≥3 or ≥4 year old males each
year; whereas extinction never occurred when hunting
was restricted to males ≥5 or ≥6 years old.......
If trophy hunting is to serve as a conservation tool
for lion populations outside protected areas, the industry
needs to adopt an age minimum to ensure a sustainable
offtake and to address the needs of the people most likely
to be affected by living in close proximity to lions. The
results from our model demonstrate that lion populations
are resilient to sport hunting of mature males and that environmental
stochasticity does not affect the predictions
of the model. An age-restricted offtake provides an easyto-
implement alternative to quotas despite some inherent
error in its application.

I would say that this gets to Bwanamich's statement below...
quote:
originally posted by Bwanamich:
if you set a strict quota, it will probably be 2-3 lions max. If an area actually contains 8 lions then you are not fully maximizing the resource potential. You could/should be offering 8 lion hunts, generating more revenue for conservation and more benefit to communities, etc, etc.

So every >6 yo lion seen and not hunted is a lost opportunity.

Which drew the question from me...
quote:
originally posted by 505 Gibbs:
Are you stating that every lion that is 6+ should be hunted and harvested if possible?

please see Bwanamich's "answer" below
quote:
originally posted by Bwanamich:
I thought you could read?
Go on, tell me why not.............

Despite Bwanamich's failure to answer the question I asked, Aaron answered with the below...
quote:
originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Brad - Careful again with the wording! Not that every 6 yr old SHOULD/MUST be hunted. However, once one understands the science behind it, one will also understand that 6 yr old plus lions can be hunted without negative impact to the lion dynamics in a given area.

A fact lost on some PH/outfitters, that could have worked towards the elimination of quotas for lion, along time ago. If outfitters WOULD self-regulate themselves to only shooting > 6yr olds, a lion quota would be irrelevant and un-necessary.

The start of this answer, advise "Careful again with the wording!", leads me to believe that Aaron does not agree with a positive answer to my question. From what I can see, Bwanamich has posted a study that states taking of only >5yr males is sustainable without a quota. He has also stated that not hunting or taking of any of these males (he defines the age at >6yrs) would not be an efficient use of the resource and that any male seen (known about?) and not hunted was a lost opportunity.
This gets to the part of this whole scenario that I cannot put together. If I listen to Bwanamich, I hear a business man with access to a resource or commodity. Any single piece of that resource that is not converted to cash or revenue is a loss. Therefore, he has a vested interest in harvesting EVERY >6 yr lion he has access to.
Pay close attention, here is one of the important questions:
Will the results of the study still apply when the test data is changed from shooting nothing but >5 & >6 yr old males to shooting EVERY >5 & >6 yr old male?

FYI, this is just the beginning of my questions related to this "study", but we can get to the rest later if the "moderators" of this forum are truly interested in having a discussion about this subject with someone who is truly interested.

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OKYDOKY,

I took the time and read the link provided by Bwanna. It was pretty much what I was scared of. The model was based on a very narrow study area. This typicaly is not a problem and the writers acknowledge this in their disclosure. They do this so people who are interpreting their findings do not transfer results of their findings without researching specificaly in different areas under different variables and populations. Also within their model they did not allow for human refinement of quotas over time, considering variables, that I could tell. They also noted that only %1 of model populations faced extinction under set quotas that weren't even making room for adjusting variables with time. They still did not answer why non-breeding males under the age of 6 could not be harvested with restriction. The weekest point within their study was they could not provide an average age of mortality within their study area for lions in non-hunting areas nor an average age of mortality for males within hunting concessions. They did not make room in their models for human error or corruption, which I recognize is very difficult if even possible in scientific studies. Lastly they based age determination in the field on nose pigmentation. Has anyone documented the causes of this nose pigmentation? Genetics, external factors??????? At best I can see that this document is very pro-hunting. At worst I can see it is mediocre science that is capable of having far reaching hazardous effects to management if people implement its findings throughtout sub-saharan africa like a broad brush. A similar paper was written three decades ago in Texas. It was based in Kerr WMA here and dealt with the management of whitetail and harvesting bucks with unforked antlers. They had very specific findings that have effected whitetail management to this day. Within the past decade it has been proven to be based on at best flawed science and even worse people and governments over a wide range of ecosystems, habitatat and genetic variables have implemented its findings into their herd management. To this day it is still dragging like an anchor on management plans within our nation.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STU & 505 - Guys, please know that I am not intentionally ignoring you. I leave tomorrow evening for 3 weeks to Mozambique, so I am trying to get things ready to go, plus wrapping up work issues, etc. So, I'll have to finish this debate when I get back.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
I thought you could read?
Go on, tell me why not.............

why not what? I am not telling you anthing, I am asking you a question, please answer.

I was trying to get things back to the original topic. And from a practical point of view- no- age does not determin skull size. There is a small but fairly steady trade in canned lions in zim- none are ever over 6 years and most are younger. Two of the ones shot last year would make SCI no 1.

Where I hunt on the edge of the Kalahari we have lions with small bodies and small skulls. Out of the last 27 lion only 3 were under 6 years of age and none make the SCI record book

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
the above quoted question was actually for Bwanamich in reference to something he said. However, you did answer my question to you, and it is a good example of how varied and inconsistant the data on this subject can be. thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RE: civility on forums

I thought that this thread might be setting a new record for lack of civility until I read the thread on TEXAS BUCK RESTRICTIONS under AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING. Those guys get into it over whitetail deer, which are hardly a threatened species. See how extremely harsh the posts by Crazyhorseconsulting and Gatorgodo are to each other. Please reflect on how we, concerning lions and lion hunting, can share information on preserving lions and lion hunting, agree or disagree, and remain civil. Thank you.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good post blanco. i am guilty and i am sorry for that. I will try to be as constructive as possible as my opinion is not the issue, it is the things we can do to help. Some things that help may be small considering the overall problem but even small steps help and we should try and help on the big picture as best we can.I don't think it is helping us to be enemies of each other because we have a common goal to preserve hunting.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my own feelings and put this on paper when I re-wrote the Zimbabwe Quota Setting Manual back in 1997.

However there are many better brains involved in this than me. With due respect if anybody wants the ugly truth - contact Dr Chris Foggin. You would be amaized how the odd little injection once in a lions life can add 3-4 inches to the skull size.

There is also massive variation in sub species.

For all the sub species variations ask Woody (Fenton) Cotteril- he can give you live weight, length nad skull size mesurements from thousands of lion.

Folk do complain that woody is a little eccentric - but they said that when the two of us went down colapsed and dangerous mines looking for Rabid bats when we were at Junior school together. woody hasn't got any saner with age and experience but nobody on this planet has measured the number of actual animals that he has.

And when all is said and done...theories fail in the face of empirical facts.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana- did you ever have to get the old fashion rabies shots man they are no fun.
good hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry B- Rabies are NOT fun ...now MAKOLA- that is really not fun. Been there and got the t-shirt. Woody seembed to bunble aong and never get bitten, scratched etc. The good lood surely looks after fools and drunks...and the real differencebeween the village idiot and local eccentric is a good education and sufficient money to be the thought odd but not crazy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had the rabies shots in the late 50's and it could have been a young kids imagination but they hurt like hell