New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pride male shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On the most recent TAA episode a large male lion was shot over bait. There were at least three female lions with him. Was this a pride male and what is correct action here. Lynn Taylor OF Chifuti Safaris was the PH.
Dont mean to flame anyone, I am just trying to decide how I would handle a similar situation.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to correct this post as I inadvertantly called it a herd of lions instead of a pride of lions. My mistake. I had just answered a couple of posts on elephant and carried the herd over wrongly.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not want to say that this IS the only correct course of action to take but this is what we should try to do IMO:
- determine if the pride has any dependant young or obviously pregnant/lactating females
- determine if it is a known male to us (one that we have observed several times in the past and can therefore determine the pride structure and history).
- last but not least, determine of he is 6+

All of the above is practically achievable over bait. Based on the above answers, the PH has to make the decision on whether or not to let the client take the cat.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3033 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
I do not want to say that this IS the only correct course of action to take but this is what we should try to do IMO:
- determine if the pride has any dependant young or obviously pregnant/lactating females
- determine if it is a known male to us (one that we have observed several times in the past and can therefore determine the pride structure and history).
- last but not least, determine of he is 6+

All of the above is practically achievable over bait. Based on the above answers, the PH has to make the decision on whether or not to let the client take the cat.

And there you have your answer! Doesn't mean the lion can't be shot, just means some due-dilligence is required.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That is what I was looking for. It sure would be hard for anyone to pass on that old, huge, well maned lion. I guess a very conscientious PH wouldn't even bait where such a lion is living. No sense in putting the client in such a dilemma.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walt,
Later today or early next week...I will start a thread titled as the "Definition of a Huntable Male Lion".

It will be the LCTF's definition but if and when I post it...it will have the endorsement of the major scientists, some key Safari Industry leaders, and hopefully SCI & DSC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36418 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to remember on these TV shows is that a 21 - 28 day hunt is condensed into how many minutes of actual hunting footage minus commercials? You can't tell from the show if that Lion was observed for multiple days etc. to decide it's viability as a mature non-pride holding target.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7582 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not even ssen the show yet...but Jim makes a valid point!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36418 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently this relates to Carl's Lion. And also apparently 465H&H is unable to discriminate between stock footage and actual footage from the hunt/Lion in question. I was there and can assure you footage not taken during our hunt was inserted for the TV show. That includes not only female but also male Lion footage. Perhaps Dave Fulton will confirm this if he is around. I consider this to be an insulting question that would not have been asked by anyone paying attention to the actual footage presented during the show.

And the PH is Len Taylor and I can say with confidence from personal experience dealing with a corrupt game ranger during our hunt, that he is a man of high ethical standards.

This Lion is an old warrior whose father and brother were also known. We did our due diligence. He was NOT holding a pride. It just seems so obvious to me from the video that there should not even be a question as to this Lions age, but perhaps I'm being overly sensitive? Mad

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lionjunter,

The age of the lion wasn't in question at least not by me. Was the lion shown being shot,the one your friend took. I saw nothing to indicate that it was stock footage. The lion shown being shot had a lioness in front of it and it ran past two more as went off to die. Are you saying that that footage was not from your friends hunt?

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is one lioness and no cub in the footage of Carl's Lion. This is also what we observed and recorded on the game cam at night. Some of the game cam footage on the show was stock and not his Lion nor the bait tree we used. I have never heard a single male and single female referred to as a pride.

It is not my place to give instructions on how video is edited, cut and spliced for a finished DVD or TV show, but rest assured everything you see on TAA (or any TV show) is not necessarily sequential and anytime there is a cutaway, time passes and things, including animals and people, move positions. Perhaps this accounts for what you think you saw? Confused

I do think the title you chose for your OP and the way you asked your questions were in poor taste and your follow-up questions only demonstrate your lack of understanding of how film is put together and your inability to process what you are watching. But I think none of this makes any difference to you and that you are only interested in engaging in a pissing contest like the one you started with Michael458 regarding the CEB bullets. Consequently I am done with you and will not engage you further.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

This is a good example of what does NOT need to happen.

465 H&H asked a valid question and a simple answer with civil discussion IS WHAT WE NEED.

Both of you guys are important contributors. Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
On the most recent TAA episode a large male lion was shot over bait. There were at least three female lions with him. Was this a pride male and what is correct action here. Lynn Taylor OF Chifuti Safaris was the PH.
Dont mean to flame anyone, I am just trying to decide how I would handle a similar situation.

465H&H

I just watched the film. I am unsure how you got 3 lioness. I only saw one most likely non-pregnant female with the male. Even in the game camera pics...I could never say there was more than one female.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

When I watched it the first time I was on the phone and distracted. I also didn't record the show to review. I thought that the lioness walked behind the tree and the male then came out. Apparently there was more of a time lapse than shown and the lioness moved back in the direction she came from. So I thought that she was a second lioness. In reviewing the tape today, it was obvious that there was only one lioness in view as the shot lion ran past. I appologise to one and all for my faulty observation and memory.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 465 for coming on and setting the record straight.

I count both of you as friends...even though I think you are missing the boat on bullets 465 sofa.

J. Lane Easter, DVM