New
Find
Notify
Tools

Craig Packer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
According to the LCTF, this is the man who will decide the fate of the African Lion. Below is the most recent article I could find that he has written on the African Lion. I have read it and will withhold my thoughts until others have read it and commented. Perhaps someone Smarter Than Me will read it and give us their thoughts. I would encourage you to read it and click on all of the tables and credits, they are very telling.
I will decide the fate of the Lion (African and Mountain)

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shocker

This dude is batshit loony. He actually has a job after printing this. I love this basis for one of his graphs, and I quote

Average number of adult females in population simulations where ALL eligible males are removed during a 6-mo hunting season each year for 100 yrs.

What the hell do you think happens when you take away every male? The same thing would happen if you applied this logic to humans? Those pussies don't screw themselves. Pun intended.

And then he totally cooks the books on Mountian lions. He starts his study by killing %40 of the males right off the bat. What country is allowing that much harvest quota to occur? Then he uses CITES export numbers to estimate total harvest numbers of mountian lions. That is such a tiny percentage of mountian lion harvest there is no possible way it could be used accurately to guess any figure of lion population or harvest. He never addresses the expansion of MT.lions in the lower 48 in the past 2 decades into states where they have not been seen in a century. I notice how he excludes Texas from these other states and fales to mention the state has never regulated mountian lion harvest and they keep expanding their range in that state.

Then the fact that he uses a black bear, whos lifecycle is probably thrice that of a mountian lion, as a comparison to the Mt. Lion minus an infanticide variable is rediculous. Maybe he would like to compare Baboon reproduction to humans. After all we both have fingers.

When I read the link with the Serengeti lion study posted by Bwanna on the other thread I recognized it as an honest attempt at science that can be helpful in managin lions in select areas. However this is propoganda. This is Bad. Very bad.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Look. I have never said that I agree with all that CP says...I don't.

But the fellow who runs the entity in which your "more blanced approach" link leads is the very fellow that told me and Aaron and Gerry and all others in LCTF. That as goes CP so goes USF&W and so goes the Sec. of Interior.

When you talk to CP personally...as WE have (many times)...he is a fairly straight forward guy who does care and is NOT anti-hunting.

So I can tell you for sure this CP bashing thread is NOT advancing our position.

You can take that to the bank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I can tell you for sure this CP bashing thread is NOT advancing our position.

OK, now that you have commented on what someone else commented about, how about you take the time to read the paper and comment on that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
how about you take the time to read the paper and comment on that.

I have read the paper long ago. In this fight we are now facing...it does not matter what I think of the paper. CP already has the credibility with the ones who WILL make the decision. That fight is long since over...you should have shown up about 10-15 years ago for that one.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have read the paper long ago. In this fight we are now facing...it does not matter what I think of the paper.
So, I guess everyone must only discuss what YOU want to discuss.
CP already has the credibility with the ones who WILL make the decision. That fight is long since over...you should have shown up about 10-15 years ago for that one.
Try reading it again, it was recieved, accepted, published and copyrighted in 2009, you are a dishonest ass and becoming more and more a liability to this cause. Shame on You.

I am quickly running out of credible people to speak to on this subject.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
you are a dishonest ass and becoming more and more a liability to this cause. Shame on You.

Really!!!

Maybe we'll have a beer and discuss that some day. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really!!!

Maybe we'll have a beer and discuss that some day.

Dr. Easter you have to admit that that paper is horribly written. If I had no wildlife background at all and the smallest amount of logic I could see that this man actively prints propoganda. It has been dictated to you that yhis is the man with the ear of the Dept. of the Interior. Maybe its time to find the person YOU decide and grab the other ear. This man very well could be a great friend to your cause but if that's the case he will root for you even when you find a differnet mouth piece to represent yall with the USFWS and Dept. of Interior. Set the stage for the arguement and if this guy is on your side he will follow.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will just say it again. Bashing Craig Packer on a public forum is NOT going to help our cause.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that it will do any good but we also have two ther scientist that are in the field that also would like to not see the lion uplisted but give us the same warning as we have bben telling everyone all along.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will just say it again. Bashing Craig Packer on a public forum is NOT going to help our cause.

Why? Because his beliefs are not solid and if we disagree with him he may tell the government to list the lion? You are afraid of his emotional stability, and his commitment to doing the right thing, aren't you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not that it will do any good but we also have two ther scientist that are in the field that also would like to not see the lion uplisted but give us the same warning as we have bben telling everyone all along.

Gerry no one here is saying the lion is not in danger of being uplisted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:

Why? Because his beliefs are not solid and if we disagree with him he may tell the government to list the lion? You are afraid of his emotional stability, and his commitment to doing the right thing, aren't you.

No sir.

I know what Craig Packer is doing. He is watching to see if the hunting community is going to step up to the plate and do the right thing...if so...he will help them. If not he may very well decide that ESA listing is the best thing for the lion.

I know that because I asked him.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are we dealing with men or children here? If this man is a scientist and a professional and his research is above reproach, what would he care about a bunch of yahoos flapping their gums on an internet forum. If I didn't know better, I would think you are scared of baseless retalliation from this man? A man of integrity would be far more offended by your implication than by anything anyone else has posted on this thread. I have news for you Lane, sucking up to a man who intends to do your cause harm will do nothing but empower him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really!!!

Maybe we'll have a beer and discuss that some day.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Maybe someday Lane, but how about today you read the article and give us an unbiased, science based opinion on it, you are a doctor, correct?