New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quotas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When I hunted with Samaras two years ago I was told he had to pay for 60% of his quota whether he shot it or not.

Doesn't this put pressure on operators to shoot lions?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was 40% (Aaron knows for sure) but you are right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36546 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAZ - Yes, as I recall its 40% in TZ. But, either way, that's 40% - 60% of their TOTAL quota. Which certainly leaves room for NOT shooting every lion you have on quota, simply because you can.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
Not to get technical, but it does matter, do they pay 50% (avg) towards each individual lion tag, or do they pay 50% of the total number of lion tags? see below:

PH X gets 5 lion tags @ $5k each (total), he pays gov't $12,500.00 (50%).

If payment goes towards the aggregate he only has to successfully fill 2-3 of the tags to cover his principle investment.

If payment is specific to the animal (i.e. $2,500 towards each tag), he has to fill all 5 or he will be in the hole.

Am I thinking about that right? If so, what is the answer?

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505 - Like I said, as I understand it, its 40% of the TOTAL ANIMAL QUOTA. So, if there total animal quota bill would be $200,000 per year (just an example), the operator has to pay $80,000.00, regardless of how much he actually shoots. He could shoot ZERO lions, and he still pays $80K, but he could also shoot 100% of his sable, 80% of his eland, 80% of his buffalo, etc, etc, and easily make up the difference.

Now in Zim Nat parks areas its different, they are responsible for 100% payment of their quota. So yes, that is a considering factor. One I am aware of, and one that we are working on a solution to at the moment.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
505 - Like I said, as I understand it, its 40% of the TOTAL ANIMAL QUOTA. So, if there total animal quota bill would be $200,000 per year (just an example), the operator has to pay $80,000.00, regardless of how much he actually shoots. He could shoot ZERO lions, and he still pays $80K, but he could also shoot 100% of his sable, 80% of his eland, 80% of his buffalo, etc, etc, and easily make up the difference.

Now in Zim Nat parks areas its different, they are responsible for 100% payment of their quota. So yes, that is a considering factor. One I am aware of, and one that we are working on a solution to at the moment.

Correctly stated - an outfitter need only target his key species on quota (greater antelopes and buffalo)and achieve the required minimum 40% without touching the cats. Shoot an elephant or two and he's safe as houses as ele do not have an established quota per block but count towards utilization of the same- call it a bonus!

Posts: 2731 | Registered: 23 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

Correctly stated - an outfitter need only target his key species on quota (greater antelopes and buffalo)and achieve the required minimum 40% without touching the cats. Shoot an elephant or two and he's safe as houses as ele do not have an established quota per block but count towards utilization of the same- call it a bonus!

Fujo,

tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36546 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post