New
Find
Notify
Tools

How The Antis Use/Abuse Our Posts
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66730 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, and one of the big reasons I use a nom de plume and rarely post trophy pictures. Thanks for posting.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Lots of people don't realize that goes on. That is why I ask Saeed to pin it up on this forum. It reiterates what Aaron and I have been trying to get out in our messages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36412 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi Lane,

Good call, and yes, most folks don't realize what can happen to pics and names posted on the internet. While I knew the antis did such, I never tried to find any of it.

If PETA shows up on their porch, they should be ready to deal with them in an appropriate manner. I am.

Keep up the good work.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I don't think we should hide from these idiots.

As far as they concerned, all they want to see is an end to ALL hunting.

After that they will devote their efforts to stop farming animals.

I met a very nasty lady once.

She actually said she would rather see no elephants alive rather than see them hunted.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66730 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scroll down and Aaron's whole GHR brochure is in that PDF. shocker

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

As far as they concerned, all they want to see is an end to ALL hunting.

After that they will devote their efforts to stop farming animals.

She actually said she would rather see no elephants alive rather than see them hunted.

Saeed,
I agree 110% with you.

We have been told the exact same thing from groups that they would rather see all gone rather than hunted.

No we can't hide!

My point with pinning this up was to make a couple of points...1) to show that they do watch our posts and what we say; and 2) that if we post poor ethics...we will certainly see them haunt us.

I agree...let us be proud of our sport...but lets portray it in a manner in which we will be proud when we have to defend it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36412 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

Hiding is exactly the wrong thing to do. We need to seek them out and destroy them.

quote:

She actually said she would rather see no elephants alive rather than see them hunted

Exactly right. I didn't meet the same lady. I've met others like her, though. They don't care about what they pretend to care about. What they obviously care about is that somewhere, someone is free to do what they want. And they don't like it.

As an aside, I'll probably never hunt an African Lion. Mountain Lion, yes. They say Africa gets into your blood once you experience it, but I feel somewhat sated after bagging an elephant. It's like I "peaked."

But I'd never try to stop anybody from hunting any sort of lion. Control freaks. I don't get the impulse. The good news is that most of my fellow citizens don't get the impulse, either. I don't know how things are in the UAE or the rest of the world for that matter.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, let me play devil's advocate. Exactly what in the article posted do folks disagree with? I only skimmed it, but as near as I could tell the focus of the article was RSA and SANParks. They pointed out "canned lion hunting", which has been criticized on this website many times. They pointed out that animals wander in and out of Kruger, and when they come out they are often trophy quality. This too has been pointed out on this website. Indeed hunting concessions that border parks are highly prized, are they not? Yes they did quote (reproduce) posts from AR, but surely this is no surprise? What I take away is that there is not one audience of folks who visit AR. We are not an exclusive club that only allows members. But, I think we all knew this, didn't we?
I see no need for paranoia.
If they had been honest/smart (and I do not know the intended audience of that document) they could have quoted some critical comments on RSA "canned hunts" on AR and said "look even the hunting fraternity don't like this practice". What would we have said then?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point was not what the article said but to illustrate that anti-hunting groups use our posts and pics. And ARA (Animal Rights Africa) is a vehement anti-hunting group!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Well, let me play devil's advocate. Exactly what in the article posted do folks disagree with?

There was quite a bit I took issue with. Beginning with tbhe photo of Buzz Charlton on the cover; as far as I know he only hunts in Zimbabwe. So making him the poster boy for what Animal Rights Africa claims is not right with the hunting scene in the RSA was just flat wrong.

The claims that only a few people benefit from sport hunting would have to be based upon the notion that the people who are directly employed by hunters don't spend whatever fees they collect, or at least they horde the money and only spend it when they travel abroad.

Ecotourism isn't the goldmine they try to paint it as. Yes, more ecotourists travel to Africa than Safari hunters, undoubtedly. But then, they spend so much less on an individual basis than a hunter on safari that you need many, many more of them. Then the report glosses over the impact that hordes of tourists swarming the national parks has on animals, while deliberately distorting the very light impact an individual trophy hunter has on the environment. Seriously, a rhino will run 30km if it hears a gunshot? (And if it can run 30km without hitting a fence, I'm hard pressed to understand how Animal Rights Africa calls these "canned hunts." They take every opportunity to say that once "selected" for trophy hunting animals including rhino have "almost no chance" of escaping, which doesn't seem very consistent with an animal that can run distances of up to 30km to get away from the sound of gunfire. I'd say such a beast has a very good chance of escaping.)

They are delibarately dishonest about trophy hunting. They say these animals are only killed for their hides, horns, or tusks, when in fact I've never seen any of the meat wasted. Yes, trophy hunters do look for the animals with the biggest horns, biggest tusks, biggest manes, etc. Because that's the best indication the animal is fully mature and has had the chance to pass on his genes. The whole point of trophy hunting is to go after animals that are no longer significant factors in the breeding population.

They make it sound like the opposite is the case; that "trophy hunters" are after the younger animals that are breeding. And they claim this has an entirely different impact than other forms of predation, which they say merely removes the weak, the very old animals, the very young, or the sick or injured.

I've heard this myth before. I can tell you that at least in the Western US what sort of deer make up the vast majority of a mountain lion's diet. Young, healthy males. For a variety of reasons. They spend more of the year at higher elevations than the does, they get pretty careless during the rut when they've got only one thing on their minds, they're more likely to be solitary than the does so they don't have as many eyes and ears around to be on the alert for predators, etc. I understand leopards are just as much opportunistic ambush hunters as mountain lions, so I'd be surprised if things weren't pretty much the same with their diets.

I could go on. Suffice it to say there was a lot to disagree with in that "report."

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
CFS, thank you for the detailed response

quote:
the people who are directly employed by hunters don't spend whatever fees they collect,

I believe that the question of fees and where they go has been asked before several times, without a clear answer. By this I mean that there is no doubt that the "salary" paid to the camp staff (plus tips) is spent locally. However this is miniscule compared with the daily rate and the trophy fees, and whereas this varies by country, we (or at least I) have not heard a clear explanation of where these go. I expect that they go to the government and the outfitter, and thus probably do not benefit the locals much. Note that I am not stirring here. If I can ask such questions then so can the "antis". My point is that we should be careful what arguments we use as they could backfire.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave it to someone from the political forum to come in here and nail the issues. Well done CFS.
quote:
They don't care about what they pretend to care about. What they obviously care about is that somewhere, someone is free to do what they want. And they don't like it.

Your getting warmer....
quote:
The claims that only a few people benefit from sport hunting

warmer....
quote:
The whole point of trophy hunting is to go after animals that are no longer significant factors in the breeding population.

They make it sound like the opposite is the case; that "trophy hunters" are after the younger animals that are breeding. And they claim this has an entirely different impact than other forms of predation, which they say merely removes the weak, the very old animals, the very young, or the sick or injured.

I would say this makes Aaron & Lane's point quite nicely.
I look forward to seeing more.

Posts: 5170 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys Smiler,

This forum is for topics affecting the lion.

I asked Saeed to pin it at the top of our forum to illustrate a point...that we are watched and that our words are misconstrued.

Why?

Because when we (Aaron, I, other LCTF members) have made the point that the scientists monitor AR and gather young lion pictures...we have been laughed at.

I just put this article on as proof that it happens...and...as CFS says they use it falsely to try and further their agenda.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brad,

We must have been typing simultaneously!

J. Lane Easter, DVM