One of Us
posted
I am curious
why do elephants get hunted ?
is the meat good to eat ?
looks like you would get alot of it ..
not trying to start a quarrel or anything just curious
Thanks

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Initially for meat, then for ivory, now for population control, ivory trophies, the fun of it, and meat for the locals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36412 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Initially for meat, then for ivory, now for population control, ivory trophies, the fun of it, and meat for the locals.

+1
Elephant hunting makes for a fantastic Safari and in areas with good numbers of Elephant the local human population are often limited in what meat they can acquire so it makes for a real festivity once an Ele hits the ground.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last elephant I killed in Zimbabwe illustrated the many uses of the elephant. To start with it was economically advantageous to the outfitter and the quota owner as the trophy fee was over $10,000. After we skinned the elephant the meat was divided and delivered to a nearby village and placed on a cement pad. When we passed that evening on the way back to camp there was not one sign any meat had ever been there. After the meat was removed from the carcass the women of the village were allowed to the site and were transported there by the outfitter. When we left the site there was a perfectly clean thigh bone and that was absolutely the only sign we had ever even been there. Bone,entrail,everything was completely taken and I will assume used. Thete was absolutely NO waste. I felt pretty good about it above and beyond having taken the elephant whose tusks are sitting on the coffee table as I write this,and remember every detail of the hunt and that was over 7 years ago aand my last hunt.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post