Find
Notify
Tools

USF&W????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, unless we break the stranglehold that long service civil service holds on the government, I can't see any real changes in any of the agencies.

If the courts slap them down, it might get better for a time, but barring a bunch of "True Believers" from the hunting side being willing to go and become a "class" and somehow being able to pull it off in to getting in, I see no way of short or long term major change.

See the conservation Force's August 2011 Report, published in the August, 2011 hunting Report, about the US District Court's upholding USFWS and denying all arguments made by others in response to the USFWS listing of polar bears as threatened: Conservation Force Report, Aug. 2011

The court deferred to the agency (USFWS) expertise and held that USFWS not have to take into account Canada's scientifically based program on sport hunting of the bears when hunting was unrelated to the underlying cause for the listing--loss of habitat due to climate change.

Jackson points out that the decision, especially if affirmed by a court of appeals, has dangerous precedence for petitions to uplist African lions. USFWS is supposed to take into account the wildlife programs and hunting quotas and rules of the African nations that have lions, but does not have to take them into account (which would present the opportunity to have USFWS consider the positive effects of regulated sport hunting on the sustainability of lions)if the petition to uplist is based on a loss of lions due to loss of habitat or loss of prey and not based on lions lost to regulated sport hunting.

This is only a summary of Jackson's article and his article is stated by him to be a only report on a very lengthy opinion. Please go to the link and read Jackson's report. This is alarming. We need to do all reasonable things to prevent ESA listing and/or CITES uplisting and our options are being narrowed.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
So the consensus is that the USF&W agency/bureaucracy is unchangeable???

Not necessarily but thats a long term project-as in several Administrations.

I would sure nominate you for Sec Interior,Lane However politcally it might be easier to get USF&W into the Dept of AG.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Actually, I think the only plan we came up with was for YOU to save us. Eeker

We will give your opinions all the weight and consideration they deserve.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blanco county:
This is only a summary of Jackson's article and his article is stated by him to be a only report on a very lengthy opinion. Please go to the link and read Jackson's report. This is alarming. We need to do all reasonable things to prevent ESA listing and/or CITES uplisting and our options are being narrowed.

Blanco Co.,
Great post! What do you see as our options???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blanco Co.,
Great post! What do you see as our options???
I think the district court may hae assumed too much in ruling that the agnecy dos snot hae to takeintoacdount other factors, such as the net positive effects of regulated hunting, when the issue is loss of habitat, climate changes, etc. The issue is the sustainability of the species and if something, such as regulated hunting, is a net positive, then it should be taken into account along with climate change, loss of habitat, whatever else is inthe petition. The agency and the courts should not lose sight of the forest while concentrating on trees.

I'm sure that John jefferson will continue to make this argument. The next two critical events are the decision of a US Court of Appeals on the polar bear listing and the President's decision, on advice of Secy of Interior, on ESA listing for lions.

All pro hunting groups should be organized and coordinated for these two big games.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will give your opinions all the weight and consideration they deserve

somehow I doubt that.

Posts: 5170 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post