New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting quote by DSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was surprised to read the following quote from Ben Carter w/ DSC, perhaps the LCTF or it's charter members would enlighten us with a response?

quote:
“The International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation is joining us in encouraging lion hunters from around the world to be more selective. We’re gratified that the concepts within our policy have become a standard for conservationists worldwide,” said DSC Executive Director Ben Carter. “Hunting only non-pride and non-adolescent male lions should be the goal of every hunter and every organization with a vested interest in conserving lion populations.”

Posts: 5170 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
Here is what I can tell you. Read the definition...it is the way forward. It was agreed upon by the vast majority of lion experts in the world.

The other thing I can tell you is that DSC had no official statement on the lion until LCTF had a meeting with them at DSC Convention this last year. They basically adopted the LCTF's definition.

The definition does NOT state the quote above.

The research shows age is the most important factor.

I do believe that a non-pride 6 or > male should be "the goal"...that makes perfect sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36410 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post