New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion facial scarring?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tim Herald's lion hunt got me thinking about facial scarring on lions.

Quote from Tim's report:

"His face was not scarred, and Stu just did not want to call him 6 years old. He feels that he is 100% 5 or older, but no scarring has him worried. He said he is the best dark maned lion he has ever seen here, and one of the best 2 manes here that he has ever seen."

So my question is... If a five year old lion does not show facial scarring, which seems to be one factor in determining age, would you really expect the same lion to receive significant facial scarring in the next year?

I know the question has many variables, but just wonder if the same lion at six years of age would get another pass because of lack of facial scarring.

Something to think about...

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very true. Especially in areas with low populations. Save Cons for example.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked same question - is that year from 5-6 a year of serious fighting for all lions? I think this is one of those inexact things...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That lion in Tim's pic's is likely 4+ and possibly 5. 5-6 IS an age for heavy fighting as they are becoming serious contenders to take over a pride and are seriously focussing on breeding.

Scarring however is only one factor and certainly should not be "the" criteria to take a cat. But it's presence is comforting.

I think Stu made the right call.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36424 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
That lion in Tim's pic's is likely 4+ and possibly 5. 5-6 IS an age for heavy fighting as they are becoming serious contenders to take over a pride and are seriously focussing on breeding.

Scarring however is only one factor and certainly should not be "the" criteria to take a cat. But it's presence is comforting.

I think Stu made the right call.

Exactly! Its only one criteria, and frankly not always as easy to see as one might think.

Under the circumstances, the PH probably errored on the side of caution. He's definitely NOT a young/immature male.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post