Find
Notify
Tools

The Plight of the Jags
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,

I recently spent ten days fishing in some of the most remote parts of Bolivia, the fishing kinda sucked but that is not the point here. The point is the South American Jaguar.

First,
I would be at the front of the line if sport hunting AND retuning home with a legally hunted Jag were possible, it will only be possible someday if there are Jaguars in huntable populations in the South American jungles and rain forests.

The indigenous people's there destroy Jaguars at an alarming rate, all the boatmen we had, all the people I spoke to along the way had stories of killing "several" jaguars in their lifetimes. Their skins and skulls adorn restaurants, fishing camps, villages. They are EVERYWHERE you go.

If we as international sportsman put some effort into this, maybe........just maybe we may see LEGALLY hunted and imported Jags in a trophy room or two.

Kindest Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3370 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man Steve, you got these folks sceered. Theys be fraid to say anything!!! shocker shocker

In all seriousness however, given the interest shown in hunting Leopards, if that same interest were directed toward jaguars, then thee might be more coordinated interest in saving the things.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC,
They aren't sceered, nobodies watchin. I think you might have missed my point, there seem to be Jaguars most everywhere down there (for now). My Point is that if CITES would allow importation, the indigenous people's could realize perhaps, 20-30 grand per cat. THEN.......they would get protection from themselves, based on one of the most fundamental human emotions. Greed.

But that's just me.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3370 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I am agreeing with you in a twisted Texan sort of manner.

Leopards benefitted from the sport hunting/safari industry. Jaguars would also benefit in the same way.

If the PTB's concerning the hunting of Jaguars could be made understand that people would pump all sort's of funds into their countries economies for the chance of hunting/killing Jaguars, things might change.

The sceered part comes from the idea that Jaguars have been off the table for so long that few people really know the status of the animals in Mexico/Central America-South America.

Even though it came out sideways, I agree with and support your opinion on this issue.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once the LCTF gets off of high-center and gets some money headed towards lion programs...I think we would love to take on the jaguar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez! I thought you guys were talking about the Jacksonville Jaguars!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an article in the latest issue of the Smithsonian magazine and one of the statements I noticed concerned protecting the Jaguars from hunting.

Is there any place in Mexico/Central or South America where Jaguars can be legally hunted?