Tools

Uganda:Kanungu residents kill lion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Kanungu Residents Kill Lion
Patson Baraire
15 August 2011

Residents of Kazinga village in Kihiihi sub-county, Kanungu district on Friday killed a lion which had been terrorising their village. This was the result of two weeks of surveillance following the loss of 12 goats in the area.

The residents were afraid and appealed to the Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) for help. "We lived in fear and asked UWA to come to our rescue," Zendeire Kamugisha, a resident, said.

According to Queen Elizabeth National Park Conservation Warden Charles Tumwesigye, the lioness is suspected to have escaped from the park. He said it was killed while the park wardens were struggling to drive it back to the park. However, it became violent and residents speared it.

"In the past, there have been several cases of poisoning the animals, but this time the residents speared it to death," Tumwesigye said. There was drama after the beast was killed. The residents wanted to skin it but the wardens restrained them and insisted on taking the carcass away.

The residents abandoned the idea when they were promised compensation. On February 2, lions were seen in the same area, but were driven back into the park by the wardens after their efforts to cage them failed.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9363 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, it became violent and residents speared it.

"In the past, there have been several cases of poisoning the animals, but this time the residents speared it to death," Tumwesigye said.

Wow, that took some cajones!

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ONE man going out to spear a lion takes balls.

THIRTY men with spears? the lion doesn't have a chance

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen

I think 505 Gibbs was being sarcastic.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think 505 Gibbs was being sarcastic.

not really, I figure it would take some serious cojones to walk up to a lion with a spear, no matter how many of your buddies were with you, just sayin'...

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post