New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Thinking on African Lion by: Craig Boddington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen no evidence of anything to the contrary.

If the male was 6 or older and he did not head a pride with dependent cubs...he is an eligible shooter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36459 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will add one more thing. Craig is making a big to do about pride males and I think that is a good thing. I think the Huntable Male Lion Definition should be adhered to as well. And in general...the taking of a pride male is 'likely' higher impact than a 6 or > transient...which is basically NON-impact.

However...AGE is still the most important factor. The research models have shown that if you took any or most of the 6 and greaters...you would NOT have impact on the population dynamics. Hence the law in TZ...says nothing about pride males.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36459 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have seen no evidence of anything to the contrary.

If the male was 6 or older and he did not head a pride with dependent cubs...he is an eligible shooter.

How can you say that this male "did not head a pride with dependant cubs"? What was presented to us was the statement that they had 2 nights of bait cam pics of a pride of lions with no cubs in them? No one, with that information alone, could make that statement. How can you disagree with that?

Posts: 5172 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe they had more data than that...see other thread.

J. Lane Easter, DVM