Tools

New Thinking on African Lion by: Craig Boddington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.sportsafield.com/co...hinking-african-lion

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36455 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like someone to provide me with statistics and an explanation on how lions in the lower zambezi have impacted on buffalo populations because of their numbers. I find this hard to believe unless there are really low buff populations there? I mean, a lion pride will feed for 3-5 days on a buff and then probably take a few more days before hunting again. You can safely remove through hunting 5% of a buff population (2% if targetting only males) taking into consideration all other forms of mortality. How many lions and how many buffs are in that area?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3033 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
I would like someone to provide me with statistics and an explanation on how lions in the lower zambezi have impacted on buffalo populations because of their numbers. I find this hard to believe unless there are really low buff populations there? I mean, a lion pride will feed for 3-5 days on a buff and then probably take a few more days before hunting again. You can safely remove through hunting 5% of a buff population (2% if targetting only males) taking into consideration all other forms of mortality. How many lions and how many buffs are in that area?

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36455 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to take flack for this; but in my humble and unscientific opinion they need to reduce the buffalo quota's in the Zambezi valley and relook at why they have buffalo cows on quota.They should do the same in Chirisa as well

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the lower Zambezi last year hunting buffalo and lion and the buffalo there get no rest from the lions. The lions were on them every day , day after day unrelenting.On one of our stalks the lions chased the buffalo from right in front of us. My PH Mark Vallero says the calf survival rate was a little better than in previous years but still not great. A few years ago he said 4 or 5 calves per hundred head were surviving from one year to the next. The sustainibality of the current buffalo numbers definetely comes into question.

Posts: 99 | Registered: 01 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, wipeing out the calf crop by predation will doom any buff herd.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Manyathelo:
I am going to take flack for this; but in my humble and unscientific opinion they need to reduce the buffalo quota's in the Zambezi valley and relook at why they have buffalo cows on quota.They should do the same in Chirisa as well

Don't say that too loudly. Wink

I hear that a common statement from Zim PHs hunting the Valley is that it is increasingly more difficult to find a hard bossed dagga boy?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3033 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
Yes, wipeing out the calf crop by predation will doom any buff herd.

Quote from a Rhodesian PH:

Heavy poaching of first Rhino in the 80s and then Elephant in the 90s led to a boom in predator numbers in 'the valley' – lion and hyena in particular.

Then, outrageously high buffalo bull and cow hunting quotas in the last 20 years, which removed the majority of the old bulls who would normally protect the herd, (most common complaint by PHs in Lower Zambezi today is that they can’t find any hard bossed bulls) compounded the problem.

It is not a "too many lion" problem it is a "mismanagement" problem.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
This is a very interesting article, I would be interested to know what you and Bwanamich think about the actual subject of the article (how to have sustainable lion hunting), rather than buffalo herd management in the lower Zambezi Valley? Do you see Boddintgton as an authority or expert on this subject? Which of his points do you agree/disagree with & why?

Posts: 5172 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
Why did you delete your post?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Messages on the lion forum show up in my e-mail like PM's. Craig just wrote a new piece called: "The Right Lion." I was involved in a PM string about it and I thought you were referring to it...which is a good article...then I could not find you in my PM's and realized you had replied to this very OLD thread. My answer was not applicable.

Read Craig's new article: THE RIGHT LION

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about "old", no doubt my interest was fresh. You sound like Jay Carney talking about Benghazi. I am interested in you or Bwanamich answering the questions I asked on this article.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
I posted that writing into this forum therefore...I must agree with 'most' or what it said. I consider Craig Boddington an ex-soldier/Marine, a patriot, a sport hunter and a writer...not a scientist...he would tell you the same.

Do you have a specific point or points you would like to debate?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, you agree with "most", perhaps that means it would be easier to start with the few points you do not agree with?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Ok, you agree with "most", perhaps that means it would be easier to start with the few points you do not agree with?

Brad,

You started this line of questioning...just spit out what you want to discuss.

J. Lane Easter, DVM