Notify
Tools

6 year old rule in Niassa??????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dmitriy,
That lion is very unlikely to be "well over 6". Dr. Colleen Begg and her husband Keith age the lion taken in the Niassa Reserve. You should verify from her what the official age was before stating here that the lion was over 6.

OK I agree. I'll ask for official age and then return here with the right info. BTW there were no any "statements" in my post.

Posts: 43 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't know about Dimitry's specific cat, but I know all the cats so far over the past 2 years taken at Kambako have been 6 years or older except for one 5 year old last year. That is after they were inspected...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,
internet experts always knows better Wink
The official answer is:
> As per the Operator please see response below:
>> "age category by the NCP ie 6 yrs of age"
> So the lion hunted by Mr. appears to have been the age of 6 years.

Posts: 43 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dmitriy,
Not trying to beat a dead lion here Cool ...but your initial post claimed "well over 6" . I merely stated that it is unlikely that the lion in question was "well over 6". Now...you have qualified by stating it was 6...not well over.

I have sent your picture to Dr. Begg to see if she can shed actual data on the lion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Dmitriy,
Not trying to beat a dead lion here Cool ...but your initial post claimed "well over 6" . I merely stated that it is unlikely that the lion in question was "well over 6". Now...you have qualified by stating it was 6...not well over.

Please, read my post again. I was not "claiming". I said that I CAN'T REMEMBER it clearly, and in the next sentence suggested to ask outfitter for the right info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I have sent your picture to Dr. Begg to see if she can shed actual data on the lion.

This lion was taken in Niassa on 06.07.2011. I think this information may help you to find "actual data" better than picture from the internet.
Best wishes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the last but not the least
You can see in my profile that i'm not a native english speaker, so some definitions can be lost due to translation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mind about the comments. There is nothing wrong with your lion. I wish I would be able to hunt Niassa!
Congrats on a nice Lion, Dmitriy!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 22 August 2012 07:18 AM
To: 'Lane Easter'
Subject: RE: Lion age

Hi Lane,

Thank you for your email. This is an interesting one. I have copied Jumbo in
on this email to help me identify which lion and client this is. I agree the
lion in the image looks borderline 6 or less, it is impossible to tell from
only one image from the side and without putting this together with the
nose image and later confirmed by tooth wear. Many Niassa lions do not get
big manes and the tell-tale sign is actually the bare patch behind the ears
which you can't see in this image because of the angle. The bare top of the
head is indicative of a younger lion but some Niassa lions have a Mohican
for a while. Had I seen this image, I too would have placed this lion in the
4-6 age category based on the image alone. I would be very interested in
seeing the nose image.

No pictures were provided of the lions taken in Kambako by Stu Taylor in
2011 as Kambako had a large burglary and I was told all their hard drives
were stolen and there were no backups. We repeatedly asked for trophy and
nose images from the client pictures but none was forthcoming so this is the
first time I have seen this lion.. Normally, an operator would lose a lion
quota for not providing the photos but in this case Kambako did have a large
burglary and it was not their fault that they lost the pictures so we gave
them the benefit of the doubt.

If this is the lion was shot in the Coutada (not in the reserve) (LI-KCOU-11-01) by a Russian client on the 6 July 2011 also by Stu Taylor. This lion was in the 4-6 age category based on tooth wear, the enamel ridge was only irregularly
chipped, light wear on canines, and light wear on P3 and P4. Again we did
not seen the nose or mane images.

Kind regards,
Colleen

> From: jumbo@*****
> To: Colleen Begg; Lane Easter
> Subject: RE: Lion age
> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:31:14 +0200
>
> Hi Colleen,
>
> This lion was shot by Dimitry ***** (Russian) in July in the Coutada.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
>
> Regards
>
> Jumbo

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Don't mind about the comments. There is nothing wrong with your lion. I wish I would be able to hunt Niassa!
Congrats on a nice Lion, Dmitriy!

Thank you

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This lion was in the 4-6 age category

That's quite a "broad" age category spanning 2 years. I personally prefer a 4-5 (or <5) and then a 5-6 and a >6 category. IMHO with the right data and analysis, placing lion in these 3 categories can be achieved with a good degree of accuracy.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
This lion was in the 4-6 age category

That's quite a "broad" age category spanning 2 years. I personally prefer a 4-5 (or <5) and then a 5-6 and a >6 category. IMHO with the right data and analysis, placing lion in these 3 categories can be achieved with a good degree of accuracy.

Mich,
I am in 100% agreement with you in your categories. Colleen did not get all the data she needed in this case and the lion came from outside of the reserve.

To all else,
This is a good example showing scientists are not out to confiscate your trophy.

J. Lane Easter, DVM