New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Lion taken in Lukwati South - Tanzania
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A very good example of what the 6 year old rule will do to trophy quality in Tanzania. Here's a cat our client Dick Caruthers shot last week with DMS in Lukwati South. Dick was the guy who took the cancellation hunt I posted.

Dick saw and passed multiple lions that his PH, Keith Charters, deemed to be younger than 6 (4 and 5 year old's). Dick said no doubt these cats had enough mane to satisfy him, some of them having a LOT of hair, but he applauded Keith's professional decision to pass on the younger cats even though they were on the hairier side of the lion spectrum(Dick said he couldn't tell definitively at the time until he saw his cat).

Late in the hunt this cat and another big male came in together and Keith immediately recognized them as two brothers they had been passing for a few years. Dick took the better maned of the two cats with one shot, dropping him instantly with a .416. Keith estimated the cat at 7 or 8 years old, with the spine starting to show and chipped and worn teeth. We're pleased with the outcome, and very pleased with the professionalism of Mr. Charters on this hunt. Mr. Caruthers didn't send us any photos of the skull yet, but said he will. He's also got photos of some of the younger males from the trip that I'll post up here when I get them.

Enjoy,

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrific Lion and well into his latter years.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great lion, congrats

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great lion!

Apart from anything else that has been said and discussed over recent weeks about lion hunting, when you as a client are paying northwards of $50k for a lion hunt, why would you want to settle for anything less of a trophy than this? How could you be satisfied with a young, scruffy maned lion?

Wouldn't settling for a 4 yo lion seem like you paid for a ferrari but ended up with a mazda??

I would equate this to shooting a soft bossed buff. As a paying client on a TROPHY buffalo hunt, I would feel cheated if I was made to shoot a soft bossed buff. JMHO

To me, another reason for choosing a 6 yo + lion is the fact that at 6 a male lion has all the characteristics one would desire from the king of beasts - body size, mass, mane development, character, etc.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Great lion!

Apart from anything else that has been said and discussed over recent weeks about lion hunting, when you as a client are paying northwards of $50k for a lion hunt, why would you want to settle for anything less of a trophy than this? How could you be satisfied with a young, scruffy maned lion?

Wouldn't settling for a 4 yo lion seem like you paid for a ferrari but ended up with a mazda??

I would equate this to shooting a soft bossed buff. As a paying client on a TROPHY buffalo hunt, I would feel cheated if I was made to shoot a soft bossed buff. JMHO

To me, another reason for choosing a 6 yo + lion is the fact that at 6 a male lion has all the characteristics one would desire from the king of beasts - body size, mass, mane development, character, etc.

Couldn't agree more, although in some areas mane development would be less important than the other charaxtoristics you mentioned. I'd love a big maned cat and that's what most everybody wants when they go over there, but wouldn't turn down a big, past his prime old cat with a sparse mane given the opportunity.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Great lion!

thumb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding lion! Well done! Congratulations to the hunter and PH!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chikara!

Mokorokoto to the hunters.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post