New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning vs blueing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a 96 Swede that has new bolt handle, shortened barrel, tapped for scope and is my go to rifle for most. Current stock is the original that I added a higher cheek piece, lower grip, slimmed, trimmed etc and painted...not purty but gets the job done. I am thinking about dressing the ole girl up, purchasing a laminated stock (cinnamon) and am considering browning vs rust blue. Thoughts?

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what a guy likes, either will work. Brown looks good on old stuff, your rifle is more modern. I'd probably go with the rust blue.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course, the blue/black is traditional, but if you like brown, go for that, and realize that, it will never rust.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If you want something different than standard Parkerize it. I love a good Parkerizing job especially if it has that greenish hue to it.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a tendency to the non traditional. I have browned several Mzldr barrels and like the finish, especially when contrasted to the light brown of the laminate stock. With that said, the laminate is usually heavier than a walnut stock, walnut looks good with a good rust blue. Decisions decisions. Setting here after minor knee surgery plus its been raining for 3 days, just trying to make up my mind... Parkerized is nice but not an option for this one. Original Swede 96, rust blued ?

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure they were rust blued originally, with polished internals.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Brown it first, then if you decide you dont like it plug the bore and boil it. Voila! It turns black! I actually tried that once along with a few of Angiers recipes. It looked pretty splotchy, but if you get an even finish it does work.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old Blue or brown ???? but keep that stock that you lovingly worked on. I've enjoyed reworking at least a dozen or so Mil. stocks and used them in the field. I'd like to see your stock. If you are interested send me your E-Mail address and I'll send you a number of fotos. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were rust blued originally. I am partial to it!

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Definitely get your rust bluing solutions from Bobster; hiss are the best and easiest to work with of any I have used.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I rust blued a Swede, my first one (only did 3). film at eleven.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Definitely get your rust bluing solutions from Bobster; hiss are the best and easiest to work with of any I have used.

Yep- good stuff!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally prefer rust blue, but done right an Browned rifle that is polished, turns out very close to a blood red blackish purple dark blue, and its beautiful, it just that few can do it..

The late Tony Barnes of twin falls used this on his muzzle loaders and sako pistols, and it was absolutely awesome. He did it with his butane torch and a bottle of about any kind of Browning and inch at a time..Told me the secret was in the polish and application of the browning salts...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote