Find
Notify
Tools

Garand in a different caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,
I've got a little problem finding a gunsmith that will convert a Garand to any caliber other than .308.
I would like one in 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 but every time I approach a gunsmith about it they act like I should be burned at the stake. Frowner

I know you can get adjustable gas blocks for them. Garands are not rare.
So whats the deal here.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They make a very nice 338-06. Cliff LaBounty used to rebore them to 338-06; maybe Jim Dubell does since he took over that business. I don't kow if there is enough muzzle diameter to go .358 on a rebore but you ought to be able to rebarrel it bigger than that for sure.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phatman

The 35 Whelen and the 9,3x62 are great calibres no doubt... [PS I have done a LOT of hunting with a 9,3x74R, and do like the 9,3 bore.]

And, I do like the Garand.

However, in the confines of a M1 Garand rifle, what can they do that a 200 or 220gr Premium bullet cannot do in a 30/06 Garand???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've just never had a cartridge anchor game more soundly than the 9.3x62.
I have not had to track any thing for the last 2 years. That includes a 300 Win Mag that I used to use.
I just think that a shortened Garand in this caliber would be a pure joy.

Cheers, John

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim Shufflin at www.shuffsparkerizing.com is a Garand craftsman and builds them in 35 Whelen.

Posts: 202 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Damn,
I knew there had to be someone out there that thought the way I do.
A Mini-G in 35 Whelen will do nicely indeed.

Look out Porky Pig...LOL

Cheers, John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther produces 9.3x62 Garand barrels.

http://www.lothar-walther.de/441.php

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I can have a Garand in 9.3x62.
I was thinking it would work.

Cheers, John

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure, but I think that the width of the 9.3x62 case mouths will be too wide to fit 8 rds (in the enbloc clip) between the two vertical rails in the receiver. Maybe, you could use a Holbrook device to retain the clip in the rifle, and just load 4 or 5 or ?? in the retained clip?

Maybe someone knows for sure and will chime in. Does anyone know what is the largest bullet diameter that rebored/rebarreled Garands will accept and still hold eight rounds in the clip (and without altering the receiver)?

Posts: 202 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure my self either.
I know I want to keep the clip. I'm going to have to email the guy that does the 35 Whelen conversion to find out.
I would gladly settle for a 35 Whelen. But absolutely nothing on this earth will survive 8 rounds of 9.3x62.

Cheers, John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Garand in something other than God's caliber?

-- I'll get a rope . . . stir

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Garand clip holds seven rounds of 9.3x62 like it was made for it.

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometime ago(may still be??) there were those offering the Garand in 458WinMag and always wondered how was the op rod/gas system able to take the increase in energy since it is generally accepted to not shoot heavier bullets in the std. Garand in '06??
Is the gas port modified to accomplish using calibers other than the '06 class?? FYI, CMP is now offering stripped, refinished receivers to those belonging to affiliated clubs or competetion shooters. Price is 195.00

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Sometime ago(may still be??) there were those offering the Garand in 458WinMag and always wondered how was the op rod/gas system able to take the increase in energy since it is generally accepted to not shoot heavier bullets in the std. Garand in '06??
Is the gas port modified to accomplish using calibers other than the '06 class?? FYI, CMP is now offering stripped, refinished receivers to those belonging to affiliated clubs or competetion shooters. Price is 195.00

Schuster's nuts.

Schuster makes an adjustable gas nut so you can bleed off however much gas you want and you won't mess up your op-rod shooting heavy loads.

There used to be a company that made .338 and .458 WinMag Garands. You supplied the Garand and something like $2500.

I don't think they're still in the business because, like most of the rest of the world, I couldn't see the point. All that money, and you end up with a rifle you can't take to Africa because almost no where lets you hunt with a self-loader.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The name of the guy that does the belted magnum conversions escapes me. He is gone now, he passed sometime last year. I am unsure if his shop in Parkland is still around.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of his passing. Always wondered what it would be like to shoot such a rifle in the 458WM, but could not imagine any practical use for it other than perhaps blowing hinges off of doors and such. Off topic a bit, but have read where some BAR's have been converted to 458WM. Big Bears??

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
quote:

The name of the guy that does the belted magnum conversions escapes me. He is gone now, he passed sometime last year. I am unsure if his shop in Parkland is still around.

The name of the man who did the Garand conversions was Richard McCann of McCann Industries in Spanaway, WA. Richard passed away last year at the age of 52. A terrible loss for the shooting community. He designed and sold the adjustable gas valve for Garands and did the .338 WM and .458 WM Garand conversions.

His widow is running the company now. They no longer do the conversions, but now market a line of high quality mounts for scopes, night vision, and thermal imagers along with the adjustable gas system and some other items. Their website URL is www.mccannindustries.com.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an email off to Shuffs to see if he will do a 9,3 for me with a barrel I supply. What is your vote gentlemen--Mini or full size?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh I am still trying to make up my mind on that one too.
The mini is soooooo slick but just how much your loosing out of the 9.3 is a question.
I know I can get a 285 gr bullet@2400 out of a 20 inch barrel out of my CZ but a 16? I dont know.
I might just have to go full size, I can always cut it later.

Cheers, John
Still digging through all my junk looking for a Garand reciever...LOL I know I had 3 Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked, he doesn't have the headspace guages. I need to find out if I can just loan them to him. I also need to find out what it takes to get an LW barrel.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I've seen at least one Garand in 8x57JS. Try and get your mind around that one! Smiler

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No reason that I can come up with as to why a Garand wouldn't take a 9.3x62, Man that would be a buffalo thumper! multiple 9.3 hits would devastate any animal I know.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote