Find
Notify
Tools

Chambering Decision
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted
Looks like my original idea for a 458 WM is going to be too expensive. Was told it would be about $1000 for the machining to open up the rails and bolt head, and barrel contouring. (Bought one of those Montana blanks when they were on special last year). Planning to hold onto the barrel and use it later for a true custom, and not a "sporter" that is as much of a DIY project as possible.

Still planning on doing one as a 9.3x62, but now to decide on what to do with the other receiver. I'm thinking about a 7x57. It fits nicely between the 243 and 300 WM I already own, and inletting it into at least 2 different stocks. 2 stocks you say? One is for me, and the other(s) would hopefully be a series of stocks for my son as he gets older. He'll be 10 next month, and I hope to get him more interested in hunting. I think the Cabela's games on the Wii have sparked an interest.

Any thoughts on the 7x57 for a youngster?

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is a good choice.You can load it up or down as you see fit.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
$1000 is code for "i don't want to do it"

Buy an AB .458 prechambered rifle, have the dude on gunbroker (mark skagg, iirc) install it for $250, and have a winmag .. the end.

a 7x57 should be ~150 bucks cheaper to do than a 458, IMHO -- MRC charges 30 bucks to taper a barrel ...

boltface - 30-50 bucks
feeding - less than 200
turning the barrel - should be cheap
barrel install .. anywhere from 150 to 500 bucks

but a grand is "i don't want to tell you i won't do it"

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
That's kind of what I thought about the pricing.

For the moment I'm going to stick with the 7x57 and 9.3x62for the 2 receivers I have, and keep the 458 barrel as a future project. Depending on the donor action I find mightdo a Lott, or even an AR or B&M.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any thoughts on the 7x57 for a youngster?

Excellent choice regardless if the youngster is really a youngster, or the older variety Big Grin

You can't go wrong with it- accurate, pleasant to shoot, and a helluva pedigree and history.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I looked at his prices on his website Skaggs would rebarrel any mauser for about $165 and this price included the barrel, an A&B short chambered one. Of course, expect about a $40 cost for shipping. Prices for other receivers, such as Remington for example, a little higher in price.

Mark does very good work...used him 4 or 5 times in the past.

7x57 mauser for a youngster should be OK, mild recoil....might want to consider the 257 Roberts, little less recoil than 7x57 and it is just a necked down 7x57.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Look on the Lothar Walther site...all the mauser chamberings are available...threaded, chambered, contoured and headspaced...just screw it on and go shooting...about $200 plus shipping.

I did a VZ24 in 9,3x62 a few years ago...shoots great.

Luck

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Sent a check today to Lothat Walther for 2 barrels, 9.3x62 and 7x57.

The 7x57 will be a toy for 2 youngsters, one age 10, one 42 39 for the 3rd time. Big Grin

Caleb