New
Find
Notify
Tools

89-91 Argentine Mauser project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought an antique Belgian Mauser receiver to tinker with.
I have a 91 Mauser Trigger guard and magazine.
The receiver comes with the bolt stop and has the Belgian receiver ring markings so it is not ground like most M91s. I have a new 91 bolt that needs guts. I thought I would use M96 Swedish Mauser innards except it will require a new firing pin be made.

I guess the question is what caliber to barrel it. I don't want anything I can easily buy.
But I don't want to require odd ball brass.

Maybe a .270X57 (short 270) or a .308X57 (short 30-06) using an M700 Remington take off barrel or maybe one of each?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How 'bout a 6 or 6.5x57?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Springfield sporters should have the parts you mentioned. However neither action operates at the pressure levels your cartridges do. You would be better to stick with the 7mm mauser, 6.5 swedish mauser,257 roberts and the 35 remington these cartridges have a pressure level more in keeping with the pressures of the cartridges mentioned above. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sort of leaning toward a .30-06 take off barrel with the chamebr end shortened enough to use .308 length brass sized to fit the short .30-06 chamber.
That way I can use a common barrel and and common brass. It will all be handloaded anyway so it only has to have enough pressure to shoot a hole in a paper target.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
by Singleshotlover
neither action operates at the pressure levels your cartridges do. You would be better to stick with the 7mm mauser, 6.5 swedish mauser,257 roberts and the 35 remington

+1

For a nice .30 caliber why not the .300 Savage?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Why not use an OEM 7,65x53 barrel...Gun Parts had them at one time although I haven't checked for a while...also any other pieces and parts you might need.

I have a bent bolt '91 carbine, slightly modified stock...wish it was original config tho'.

OEM 7,65x53 dies are available as is loaded ammo and cases, and CH4D has any wildcat dies you might want...You can use trimmed x 57 brass(that's what I did) or just about any 0.473" size cases to form the cases...0.311" bullets for the 303 work great hunting accuracy wise...I use 150 gr Hornady SP's for my Argentine and 303 Brits...and the cannelure is at the right point.

The receiver is rated ~52KPSI so I would stay away from a 308 chamber just to preclude any future accidents...there are plenty of calibers(up to 0.4ll") and cases in the ~2" +/- 0.020" length that have been or can be used to make shootable ammo in that receiver...and the OEM 7,65x53mm case has been necked up AND down and will work great as long as the pressures are kept within the 52KPSI receiver limit. The magazine limits the COAL to 2.9 - 3.0"

I think a 35x53, 9.3x53 or 375x53 would make very nice working rifles using the x53 case or the same using a x57 case.

Lots of simple, cheap and easy ways to convert that receiver...

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
I recently bought an antique Belgian Mauser receiver to tinker with.
I have a 91 Mauser Trigger guard and magazine.
The receiver comes with the bolt stop and has the Belgian receiver ring markings so it is not ground like most M91s. I have a new 91 bolt that needs guts. I thought I would use M96 Swedish Mauser innards except it will require a new firing pin be made.

I guess the question is what caliber to barrel it. I don't want anything I can easily buy.
But I don't want to require odd ball brass.

Maybe a .270X57 (short 270) or a .308X57 (short 30-06) using an M700 Remington take off barrel or maybe one of each?

I seem to remember that the M96 guts won't work and you need to use M93-M95 innards with a shortened FP. Then you can use aftermarket safeties.

I've got 5 NOS M89 sporter barrels chambered in .30-06 I got from Numrich several years ago. My plan was to shorten the threaded end by 10 mm and re-chamber with a 7.7x58 Jap reamer from Pacific($25 rental)to make a 7.62x58 wildcat. This would then be reduce threaded for a M91 receiver.

Since you have a M89 receiver, you could shorten the barrel and threaded receiver ends without having to re-thread the barrel. If you are interested in one of the barrels give me a PM.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
dancing7.5 MAS. Low pressure .308 ballistics.Cheap dies, available brass, .308 dia.Good combo! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the old receiver is going to take a little fitting to get my M91 bolt to fit in it.
I have to move the extraction cam on the bolt or the receiver about .005 not much but just enough that it will not close as is. The receiver has been modified for a M98 Bolt sleeve - there is a step like a M98.
This may make for a real mutt.
M89 receiver
M91 Bolt, magazine and trigger guard
M95, M96 or maybe M98 bolt sleeve.
Looks like it has a M98/09 bolt stop
M89 sear
I will have to find an M91 trigger.

It will have an old Redfield receiver
sight so it will not be a scoped rifle.

Barrel - Right now who knows??