THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    Trying to ID Mauser to find proper rear sight.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to ID Mauser to find proper rear sight.
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone. I just purchased a new to me rifle this past spring and need someone to point me in the right direction to obtain a proper rear sight. Whoever tapped it for a scope removed the rear sight,and the scope is just in the way for what I intend this rifle for. The receiver is stamped SPANDAU 1916. I will try to post pics of the markings.Any help is much appreciated as I will be needing this rifle sometime in November to put down a bull. If the pics appear broken you have to right click on them or so the mobile version of a right click and hit view image. Imgbox is a bit silly. Thanks again for any info.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
right click image, copy image location.

Spandau 1916 mauser 98.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you richj. That seems to have fixed it! I forgot to mention its a 8mm. And the barrel is under 22". Will any mauser sight work? I tried find one on ebay and there appears to be a few variants so I just want to make sure I get the right one for this particular rifle. My experience with guns is limited,I can basically clean them and shoot them safely. Everything else is new to me. Thank you for fixing the pics again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
unfortunately...

it appears to me the barrel has had the rear sight sweated off.
and the barrel has probably been turned down and re-blued.
the smaller diameter would make it next to impossible to put a new [good luck] sight on.

your best bet is probably to go with a receiver sight.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Unlikely they would have gone to the trouble to lathe turn down the section of barrel where the rear sight base goes; that is a lot of work to remove the barrel, turn it down, and basically would accomplish nothing.
Measure the OD of the barrel in front of the second step and let me know. All Mauser sight bands are not the same, but the GEW 98, which you have, and all Kar98Ks, are the same as that.
If you want a military barrel sight, that is. Otherwise, you can put any barrel sight on it. Or a peep sight, as suggested.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok I measured 3/4 inch on it. Sorry about the dust, I have not had the time to actually take it apart abd clean the channel between the stock and barrel. I did clean the barrel and receiver. It shoots pretty good for me having no rear sight. There seems to be discoloration where the sight would have been. Wouldn't that have been removed if the barrel was altered? It is tapped for a peep sight,those are nice and clean. The scope taps are really sloppy,can a gunsmith fix them or should I just keep the scope mount screws in so I do not have to see them? This gun only cost me $150 with a scope and box of ammo so I am willing to throw a little more $$ at it as I am fond of things with some history.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a smith can fix them.
he will just tap them to a slightly larger diameter and fit new screws.
the bolt has already been modified so no problems there.

it looks like that barrel will clean up with a bit of work and it should be a fine rifle with a little effort.
I'd say you done pretty okay for 150$.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I meant with a caliper to the nearest .005; not with a yard stick. Originals are .900 or so.
Brownells sells oversize 6-48 screws and taps, if that is actually a problem.
I have about 50 Mauser barrels, and sight bases, if you need any. Also at least 50 commercial barrels of various calibers.
It will be more accurate to shoot with a peep sight; a Williams will be about $75. Or a scope, if you wanted one.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
a smith can fix them.
he will just tap them to a slightly larger diameter and fit new screws.
the bolt has already been modified so no problems there.

it looks like that barrel will clean up with a bit of work and it should be a fine rifle with a little effort.
I'd say you done pretty okay for 150$.

Thank you,thats good to hear. It had been sitting for over 20 years in less than ideal conditions before I bought it so I thought it would need some spiffing up before regular use. The .22's are the workhorses around here but I really need a solid backup so this gal is getting a makeover.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I meant with a caliper to the nearest .005; not with a yard stick. Originals are .900 or so.
Brownells sells oversize 6-48 screws and taps, if that is actually a problem.
I have about 50 Mauser barrels, and sight bases, if you need any. Also at least 50 commercial barrels of various calibers.
It will be more accurate to shoot with a peep sight; a Williams will be about $75. Or a scope, if you wanted one.

My inner newbie is showing. The scope taps are a issue because their sloppy threads and sharp edges catch on everything. In my situation the neater the better. This rifle has to be set aside rather quickly to get to livestock in a timely manner for a good bleed out. So ease of cleaning is a issue. The rear sights are not to bad on ebay,so I may just go ahead and get a complete one there. The scope is just in the way here,it's a 30 year old bushnell but thats all I know. The peep sight sounds like a good idea, I will probably get both and see what works for me. And I may need other parts sometime soon as the same person I got this one from has " a pile of guns from a gun show 30 years ago that all need something" but no one remembers what they are and I have not had time to look at them.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I first thought that by "scope tap" you meant the threaded holes, but now, not sure.
You are shooting cows with this rifle, and from what I am reading, you need to set it aside quickly so you can get to them to bleed them out? Ease of cleaning? With modern ammo, you basically never, or rarely, need to clean an old Mauser.
I used to use a 22 in the head on cows and hogs.
A tap is the tool used to make threads in a hole.
If you order an original Mauser banded rear sight from eBay, make sure it is for either a Gewehr or Kar 98K. Nothing else will work, and you still need to measure your barrel, correctly.
And you will have to solder the sight band on the barrel; not hard at all, but very difficult if you have never soldered before.
I know you are new; trying to save you some grief.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I first thought that by "scope tap" you meant the threaded holes, but now, not sure.
You are shooting cows with this rifle, and from what I am reading, you need to set it aside quickly so you can get to them to bleed them out? Ease of cleaning? With modern ammo, you basically never, or rarely, need to clean an old Mauser.
I used to use a 22 in the head on cows and hogs.
A tap is the tool used to make threads in a hole.
If you order an original Mauser banded rear sight from eBay, make sure it is for either a Gewehr or Kar 98K. Nothing else will work, and you still need to measure your barrel, correctly.
And you will have to solder the sight band on the barrel; not hard at all, but very difficult if you have never soldered before.
I know you are new; trying to save you some grief.

Thank you. I did mean the holes, the few people I know with any rifles always called them taps but they are not really even hobbyists. I usually use .22s on hogs and steers but a incident last fall with a friends boar who they let get almost 500lbs made me invest in a solid backup. Bad situation,mean hog,improper pen and location. .22s bounced off his forehead and he did not even stop chewing his food. And I had no way to get beside him for a earshot,so another friend was called and he shot him with what he simply called a 35. I have burchered my own hogs that size with a .22 but I always had the option of a ear shot. So I asked a friend who used to hunt every year and all he had was a 12 gauge, the mauser and those other miscellaneous that all need something and no one remembers what they are. I will get it measured before buying the rear iron sight. The peep sight would seem the best imediate option and I will probably go that route. I have a old .22 that needs some soldering done so I will probably wait to get the banded sight and get them done at the same time. Thank you for all the information. I really do like learning about rifles,especially the older ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spandau was an arsenal where this was probably made. 1916 probably for WW I. I suggest you contact Brownells in Iowa. They "have it all" in this respect. There are holes "drilled and tapped" for scope. There are iron sights that will use them. I seem to recall one that went on the cocking piece. Options are many. Luck. Happy Trails. Brownells loves to take questions like this. Give them a call.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You will not find a cocking piece rear sight made in many decades now and they are rare and expensive.
Yes, it is definitely a Spandau Arsenal, made in 1916.