Notify
Tools

Show what ya got!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

This is a WWII Mauser 98 Converted to 35 Whelen. I'm planning on taking it to the range this week to do some handload testing...

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post

This is my 1917 Remington in 30-06 I picked up at a pawn shop for $225. It came with a redfield peep and barrel band front sight (redfield, too).

It's currently carrying a Lyman 25X scope. It still has the original barrel and it shoots better than any rifle I own. I'm in the process of locating a 8X Unertl as the 25X is a hairy proposition from the bench, but it certainly helped in proving this old rifle's potential...

That Steyr takedown is sooo nice, and that push button safety on that 98 is neat.

I have a Swiss K31 I'm working on a bullpup design for, but I love the original configuration so much I may just keep it as is... those rifles are a damned steal for $325.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first mauser is made on a G33/40 action. When I first got it it had a Remington barrel in 30-06 and I had it rebarreled to 257 bob. Not a good picture as I loaned it to my son and he took the pic.

Then I got this one in 300WM built by a gun company in PA on a vz 23/24 action.

Then I bought a Amberg 1917 G 98M and had it barreled to 6mm rem and the stock is from a 1909 Arge that my brother had.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's taken almost two years, but I've just about finished a project rifle that I've been working on.

Originally, it was a WWI vintage Mauser, chambered in 8mm. A friend gave it to me as it had been lying in his closet and when I told him I wanted to build a project rifle, he simply came to the house one day and said, "here, you might was well have it if you're going to do something with it."

Looking over the rifle, it had been "sporterized" with a hacksaw and a file, simply sawing off the military length barrel into something around 24 inches. The finishing touches to the crown of the barrel were done evidently with a file. Not exactly what I would call precision for accuracy…

The "stock" was also reworked as well. I'm guessing the work was done by a demented beaver with a severe mental disorder. To say the gun was a mess would be an understatement!

But, underneath all the gunk, grunge, grim and bad workmanship, lay a beautiful Mauser action, built by Fabrique Nationale! The action of the rifle was slick as deer guts on a doorknob and worked great! I had the basis for a tackdriving rifle.

So, I contacted Badger Barrels, a rifle barrel manufacturer in Wisconsin and sweet-talked them into building me a brand new barrel, based on a .25-06 caliber.

Then, because I don't have access to a lathe and all the specialized machinery to cut threads, I talked with one of the best rifle builders in the state of Wisconsin and arranged for him to cut the threads on the barrel blank and true up the action. Custom Shooters did all the machine work on the rifle and installed the barrel.

I found a very unique rifle stock to replace the demented beaver work with Richard's Microfit in California and ordered a left-hand version of one of their laminated stocks and finished the inletting and sanding the final contours into the wood.

A friend of mine, Jimmy Dale here in Paris, Tennessee cut and bent the bolt handle so that the formerly straight bolt handle would clear a scope.

I'm supposed to be getting a replacement trigger from Huber Concepts. That'll replace the two-stage trigger of the original FN action and offer me infinite adjustment to the trigger pull.

And now that I finished putting the urathane coating on the stock, it's all done. And here's the result.

So I've got this nice little left-hand stock, right-hand action Mauser, and I think it'll be a great critter gitter, perfect for whitetail, coyotes and up to mule deer size beasties with the right load.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, here are the ones I dug out today:

I have some others I am working on, but not available for a picture. Here's a rundown of the ones in the picture:

THis is a 240 WM on an Enfield action. It is a really nice rifle. Bought at a gunstore and discovered it didn't like to shoot. Some one had buggered the firing pin instead of replacing the striker spring. I replaced them both and the result is great. The work on this stock and fluted barrel are first class:

This is an old Kar 98 which appears to have been barreled in the Douglas plant. It's in 257 Roberts, and came with a K10 in a Stith mount. Has old style sights, double sets etc. Action is lightly engraved. Definite 50's custom. The stock is some sort of factory stock, from either sears or mauser:

This is the nicest M88 I have ever seen. Did a lot of work looking at proofs, makers marks etc. It was apparently made on an M88 right after the 8mm JS was released. It carries JS proofs, and barrel is full size 8mm, as opposed to most of these you see. It has claw mounts, quick release takedown wedge, integral rib, and a single stack mag with lever release floorplate. Needs a little stock repair at the top of the wrist. Beautiful gun:

Next is a 6.5 M96 I built to resemble a turn of the century light African rifle.

To complete the "battery", I built another 96 with a later style stock, quick release mounts, express sights, barrel band etc in 338/284. I had the barrel stamped "338 African" to keep a future owner from going crazy with loads. Loaded down, its a good match for a .318.

This is another KAR 98 which is pretty stock except that someone took a factory Mannlicher stock and modified it to fit, including fitting wooden fillers into the spots that didn't fit! Strange, but a nice rifle. I plan to drill and tap, put on a safety and bend the bolt.

This is part of a cadet, which qualifies as a trainer. I just installed a new octagon 218 Bee barrel, and this is what isn't at the shop being blued.

Last is a 2/3 done 416 Taylor with a lot of metal work. It has crossbolt, a barrel recoil block and a custom peep sight built into the rear Leupold mount.

I should mention that, while not shown here I have several others in the works. I have a VZ 24 458 about done, a 425 Westley Richards on a VZ 24 I have been working on off and on for a while, 6.5 on a Turkish, and a 7x57 on a Chilean in a really nice mannlicher stock that should be done in the next few months.

The best I believe will be the Springfield 03 mini-express I am working on. I liked the Enfield in 240WM so well, that I bought a dirty but super straight Springfield to build a twin. I have the action off at a smith to install a 26" half octagon half round barrel, with three leaf express sights and a banded front, along with a Talley banded sling swivel. The whole thing will be satin blued with Qarne quick release rings and a Leupold 3x9. I have a piece of English being turned which is really nice in the blank but is perfectly flat cut so the marbling should be tremendous. It will have an ebony tip in a classic style and a black pachmyer. If it turns out like I think, it will be my favorite rifle. May be nicer than the 300 H&H No. 1 I am building with a 60 year old piece of Teyysier, but that's another forum.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art, you have some truly beautiful guns. I would trade just about anything in my safe for some of those. That M88 strongly resembles some of the CG Haenel guns I have seen, is it?

This is the one I just finished for hunting season:

Posts: 120 | Location: God's waiting room/Florida | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. The M88 wasn built by a smith named Kowar. His first name appears to be Ignaz, but then again, I have a hard time reading the hand done blocke enraving. Some research shows that a J. Kowar was a bulder of high grade Schuetzen rifles in Amberg in the late 1800's,nand a Hans Kowar from Amberg died at 83 recently, having been President of some sort of national shooting organizatin. so I would presume it is a long family tradition there.

When I got the gun, I researched the proof marks. It was apparently built in a narrow time frame before WWI between the time the 8x57JS was introduced, along with the proofs unique to it, and the time when civilians were forbidden to chamber rifles in the new military cartridge.

I might note that the lighting was odd where I took the pictures, and they all came out light and yellow looking. The M88 stock, as with most of the others is a darker, true walnut color with more pronounced grain.

By the way, that's a really nice stock patter on your Enfield. Did you do it or have it turned?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's pretty cool about the 88. I passed on a Haenel that was almost identical to it except a slightly different stock pattern and a case hardened receiver and trigger guard, still kicking myself. Even had a flip up ivory bead front for a night sight. Oh well, hindsight...

The stock on mine actually came to me second hand. I snagged it on reloader's auctions. It was custom made by someone who used it for prone shooting. It's a very comfortable stock. The forend is actually not the one that matches it, but the bbl channel on it's mate was no good for my bbl.

Posts: 120 | Location: God's waiting room/Florida | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Here's my Yugo M48. It's my first attempt at any kind of stock work. It looks ok, but nothing too great.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small ring mauser.Bone butt,grip cap. Ebony forend. Redfield express rear and front sight. Not the original bbl
I believe the reciever has been milled down because there are NO markings on it.257 roberts. It was purchased from a very old friend of mine so there is no history on the rifle. Only Labantcni stamped inside the stock

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post

My No.4 two-groove. A very comfortable rifle to shoot with and accurate too.

My 303-25 on a SMLE action.

My No.I MkI* Lee Enfield with my own woodwork and scope mount.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some of mine, not pretty, but I use them.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedLarry! What is the rifle with the forward mounted scope(scout)? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a Japaneese Type I made for the Japaneese by the Italains during WW2. I got it from my dad's cousin who brought it back from the war. Unfortunately he sporterized it as they are somewhat rarer than the standard Jap arms of the time. I could not find the parts to restore it so I cut the barrel and added the scope. I've killed several hogs with it and one deer so far. Kind of ugly, but it makes a handy carbine.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkI recognized the Carcano style bolt and safety but was curious about the rest of it. Thanks for clearing that up. Personally I like what you did to it. I take it you reload the 6.5 Jap? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I do reload the 6.5 Jap. It is one of my favorites. It seems to do well on game and is mild mannered. Thank you for your comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfatts:
Art, you have some truly beautiful guns. I would trade just about anything in my safe for some of those. That M88 strongly resembles some of the CG Haenel guns I have seen, is it?

This is the one I just finished for hunting season:

I love what you've done with your .303. Did you get to hunt with it this season? Did any good? Have any pictures.

I've aquired a .303 Jungle Carbine with no hand guard and with some civie sling swivels added. I'd love to do something with it like your rifle. Who did the alterations?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, where did you get the wood for your customized enfield? Like the lines and the cheekpiece appears high enough to use a scope.
Thanks, Frank

posted Hide Post
heres a few pics of my old 303 no1 mk111 enjoy

Posts: 8 | Location: south, way down south | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trickler,

I like it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My only Springfield. Built/converted by Les Womack for use as a bear gun while fishing in Alaska. Cut to 16 1/2". Furniture all shortened appropiately. Scope is a Lyman Alaskan in A Griffen & Howe side mount. Bolt has been lowered using Womacks method of swaging and so marked with his trademark stamp on the bolt root. Safety is a three position m70 type. Trigger is a Timney. Action is a Remington and barrel is a 2 groove. Shoots about 1 1/2" with factory ammo. Small high quality compass set into cheekpiece area on left side of buttstock. Had fishhooks,line and matches in an old Poloroid tube (originally held brush to fix poloroid prints) in the trap buttplate.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Womacks method of swaging

Description? Sounds interesting.

Thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
He used a pair of large metal blocks approximately 4"x6" and 1" thick that the bolt fit in with the handle sticking out. The halves were clamped around the bolt in a vise and the bolt root heated with a torch and a large forming 'chisel/punch' placed against it and struck with a hammer. If memory serves one of the first projects at TSJC Gunsmithing back in the early 50's was to make a set of these forming blocks. I personally preferred to cut and weld. The forged handles seemed too short to me. Womack had a small stamp similar in shape to a Mauser emblem with his name in it he stamped in the flat at the handle root. His brochures of the time advertised this process. It was popular and it WAS quick and ,I suppose, strong. At the least stronger than a less than perfect weld.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Above, my father built a 257 Roberts for each of my sons from 98 Mexican actions.

From top to bottom, 98 Mauser in 280 Rem, 98 in 257 Roberts, 95 Mexican in 7x57 (I have less than $50 in that rifle with the mag loaded!), and on the bottom is not custom, but a Musketeer 243 with a Mannlicher style stock.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Here is a little more eye candy.
These are not done by me but by Lon Paul at Tanglewood guns in Mountain Center California. My mods have never turned out as nice but these show what a talented builder can do

Here is my 416 Rigby Enfield done up in a G&H style

a couple of my mannlicher stocked Enfield 9.3x62

and Lon's 348 Win SMLE done in Lee Speed style

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4190 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am continually amazed and uplifted by the quality of work done by people here. This is a terrific thread showing a lot of talent.
Nice work Guys!

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

very, very nice.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my G98/40 JHV Nazi Hungarian Mannlicher. These are fairly scarce and this one was sporterized by a Vet, but since has been redone. It was originally an 8x57 Mauser and now wears a Shilen 7x57 Mauser #3 Sporter barrel. The stock is an old Herters and looks to have been done to the 1960's style. If anyone knows please comment. Remember this model had a buttstock socket much like the Lee Enfields.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe; from the picture it appears the inletting around the tang area was done with a hatchet? shocker you been woodworking again? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
Joe; from the picture it appears the inletting around the tang area was done with a hatchet? shocker you been woodworking again? Big Grin

Earth to Joey, HELLO! Take your meds and let us hear an explaination for the hatchet job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
303Guy or anyone else that knows, what is the purpose of the bungee cord on your Lee Enfield? My ignorance has been exposed! lol

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote